Eidos Exec: Pre-Owned Sales Threaten Retailers

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Preowned games are a godsend for me. I usually buy games several months after they come out (damn my lack of money) and it's hard to find new games by that time. Though I only buy used games if they are in like new condition.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Here's a thought for you, and your parent company, Eidos; if you want to increase your bottom line, why not drop your overhead? You don't need a team of 300+ people [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388944/fullcredits#cast] to make a quality game. You don't need a brand-new engine for every game. Re-use resources from past projects. There's no reason you need to make 500 new generic NPC meshes, when the 500 from the last project would do just as well with new textures. You also don't need a million polys per mesh. As long as your textures are hi-res, noone will notice, and if the game is engaging enough, the ones who do won't care.

I think you'll find that it's a lot easier to turn a profit when your budget doesn't require you to move 5 million copies on launch day to get in the black.