El Shaddai: Quintessential case of "overhyped"

sievr

May 8, 2010
I usually find that when previews for games say that something is the "most anticipated", what they're actually saying is "most heavily advertised". Who's anticipating this?

Is anyone actually excited about El Shaddai? To me it looks like Poser 3D meets Epic Mickey (another case of humiliating, face-on-the-floor overhype). If anyone is genuinely looking forward to it, I'd be curious to know.

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
I saw the trailer. Was utterly and completely uninterested. Therefore it cannot be the most anticipated game for me. That'd be Deus Ex HR for me and I bet a whole lot of other people are not anticipating a random Japanese art-style ...whatever it is, a spectacle fighter?

You're right, it's just a heavily advertized game which in marketing translates to customer anticipation.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I'm not really interested in it, but I did play the demo, and it looks like quite an experience. Something that's probably 500 times better on acid.

But every game is the most anticipated, just like every movie is the "number 1 movie in the world".

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Its one of those games that I think has a lot of bark but no bite.

Advertising like hell and showing off its artwork trying to be unique, but to me it looks its trying too hard and will probably not be worth it.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
sievr said:
Is anyone actually excited about El Shaddai?
Ridiculously.

It caught my eye at E3 last year (there was like one news article on it on every gaming site combined), then I played the demo and it hooked me. The visual style is sweet, the story is borderline heretical and intriguing, the fighting was satisfying (hopefully it gets a little more complex though..).

It's just different, and in the gaming industry today, we desperately need some fresh ideas, and I want to see them myself.

I am however a little surprised by the aggressive advertising.. I expected the publisher to slide in unnoticed like so many other weird Japanese games and let word of mouth do its work. Hopefully it pays off for them.

edit: The PROBLEM for me being, this month El Shaddai, DX3 and DS:Overclocked are all due out, and I simply can't afford all of them right now with school books on the horizon >.> I dunno' what I'm going to do.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Sorry you can't claim to be one of the most anticipated games of the year, when we already have the most anticipated game of the year known, Skyrim. And the Escapists is advertising it for money. Which is fine they need cash and so long as obstructive adds arn't popping up on me I say it's fine.... for now.

9Darksoul6

Jul 12, 2010
El Shaddai? I think it's safe to say: clearly, GOTY...
Everybody loves pretentious biblical references; add on a terrible art-style and beat-em-up gameplay - BAM - instant classic.
Guaranteed to make more money than Minecraft.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Reading these post while looking at the Main Characters expression on the side is hilarious.

OT: Yea, it does loo pretty interesting, but not interesting enough to be worth a buy. Besides there are already way too many games on my list.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Yes, I am. Quite a bit actually (not as much as for Dark Souls and Skyrim, but those are extreme cases want). For a couple reasons. The art direction looks crazy interesting and I'd be lying if I said the story using Christian mythology wasn't a big factor.

Also this:
MisterShine said:
It's just different, and in the gaming industry today, we desperately need some fresh ideas, and I want to see them myself.

CWestfall

Apr 16, 2009
Horny Ico said:
The point where I no longer wanted El Shaddai to be a game was when these God-forsaken lag-adds showed up. As in, they advertize more lag than game.
Basically this. It didn't look like anything I might even be remotely interested in and the highly prolific ad campaign more or less made me determined to never play the game. I was content to just let it suck as much as it wanted to without saying a thing about it, but now I can't open a window on the Escapist without my browser nearly crashing.

I have a feeling this entire game just might be a ploy to encourage Publisher's Club memberships. :p

Lashus

Mar 27, 2011
I thought the exact same thing when I saw 'most anticipated game." Aside from the ads here, never heard of it, or anything about it.

gradiusman

Aug 6, 2007
I wouldn't say the game is overhyped exactly, since I didn't see any advertising for it until less than a month before it comes out. It is over advertised, however. this massive blitz of annoying video ads is crazy insane.

That said, I still want to game. I wasn't particularly impressed with the demo when it first came out, then I played it another couple times and got my friends to play it, and it has grown on me quite a bit.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
sievr said:
I usually find that when previews for games say that something is the "most anticipated", what they're actually saying is "most heavily advertised". Who's anticipating this?

Is anyone actually excited about El Shaddai? To me it looks like Poser 3D meets Epic Mickey (another case of humiliating, face-on-the-floor overhype). If anyone is genuinely looking forward to it, I'd be curious to know.
I really am but I'm a unique case of not caring if the game is any good I want to support whatever wonderful people created pushed that beautiful art style.
A lot of people probably won't agree with the way I choose which games to purchase but Aesthetics is by far the top candidate on how much I want it 9/10 times.

That all isn't to say I'm not interested in playing the game, looks like it could be a decent bit of fun, but going in I don't have unrealistic expectations for the gameplay.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Phlakes said:
I'm not really interested in it, but I did play the demo, and it looks like quite an experience. Something that's probably 500 times better on acid.
You could say that about plenty of games, like BulletStorm, Halo or Oblivion. Though I don't know much about this game, I'd wager that someone may play the game while high just to see what it's like or to even prove you right.

darkdraconus

Sep 18, 2008
If they're claiming to be the most anticipated game of 2011, then we all know they're lying. Skyrim's almost certainly the most anticipated game this year.