Elder Scolls Lore

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
I have played Morrowind and Oblivion but put both down mid-way due to minor flaws in Morrowind and painful flaws in Oblivion. I really would rather not have to go back through them to learn the jist of the lore. I have checked sites like TESwiki and such but it seems every lore site is very easy to get lost in it like when you go to wikipedia looking up Catherine the Great and end up reading about the term "as the dickens" and have no clue how you got there. ALl the lore sites lead me way off from where I am aiming to see.

I guess what I need is an overview of the lore (mostly political overview) as it is hard to learn the lore through this minor piece and that minor piece. I need like a timeline to work from so I can zoom in on the details myself in these lore sites. If someone would be kind enough to put in their own words the events of TES up to Skyrim I would appreciate it. Even pointing me to a link with a good well rounded overview so that I don't have to piece this together nugget by nugget of overly detailed information that takes 5 minutes to learn 1 small fact.
Wars being summed up to "invaded and lost", conquered, etc. I just need the political overview. All the other smaller stuff I am more than happy to look up myself and read up on but figuring out the political state in this game is a pain because I have to read about all this insignificant stuff to get to the facts.

Thanks.

WhatHityou

Nov 14, 2008
See a lore breakdown can be a bit of a pain because of the elder scrolls nature of self contained separate story's within a single universe.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page

Have fun not sleeping tonight.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
This one guy said:
After Shivering isles a meteor destroyed Red mountain (Where the game Morrowind took place)
There was a war between the high Elf empire and the Cyrodill empire
Cyrodill starts losing badly and asks for a "Peace" treaty
Talos is removed from the Pantheon of the gods
Ulfric kills the high king
Skyrim happens
The war may restart in skyrim even if you chose Empire in the civil war
That "meteor" was the ministry of truth, wasn't it? Not so much a "meteor" as a giant floating prison.

OT: You want an overview of all of the events leading up to Skyrim? That's not really possible. I thought about trying it, but no, it just wouldn't work. All you can really do is find random facts and stories that link together, just like history in real-life.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
This one guy said:
After Shivering isles a meteor destroyed Red mountain (Where the game Morrowind took place)
There was a war between the high Elf empire and the Cyrodill empire
Cyrodill starts losing badly and asks for a "Peace" treaty
Talos is removed from the Pantheon of the gods
Ulfric kills the high king
Skyrim happens
The war may restart in skyrim even if you chose Empire in the civil war
No offence but one has to add that this is a rather "Stormcloakish" point of view... :)

[Edit]Or maybe even an backstabbing Empire point of view disguised as an Stormcloakish perspective, very tricky![/edit]

So, let's see...
What do I recall, very complicated so I try to blantanly leave out all for me personally not very important facts...

I don't know much of the lore before TES: III, I know some personalities and the whole mess Tiber Septim (aka Talos, aka Dragonborn (No, not Dovakhin the other one) aka Ysmir) left while conquering (or as the winners put it: liberating and uniting) Tamriel.

I think the most drastic things that recently happened are the different wars. The Great War was the latest, where the Aldmeri "Nazis" invaded the "happy and peaceful" Empire.
Before that we had other wars perfectly summarized here.
Well that were the most important things to happen, execept mabye "the little" Oblivion Crisis (TES: IV) where Mehrune Dagon, Mr. Fancypants Prince of his own Plane of Oblivion decides to invade Tameriel because, well because he can... (probably as a preemptive Strike to prevent the remaining Septim Dynasty to mass produce the Amulet of Kings and use it as weapons of Mass Destruction against all Deadra but this is just wild speculation) oh and then we have the defeat of Dagoth Ur in (TES: III) by the player (e.g. The Nerevarine) before that and just recently the tiny fact that the volcano in Vvardenfell errupted making that part of the continent almost uninhabitable...

So this should be biased enough!

Hope it helped.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
I remember Game Informer doing a brief summary of the plots of the games and how they related to the prophecy that seems to be coming to a head in Skyrim with the return of the dragons. I can't remember which issue but I'm pretty sure it was at least a year ago.