Elder Scrolls question

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
RustlessPotato said:
I've seen you post a couple of times on this forum and I'd just like to say that your knowledge of the lore is astonishing. Congrats ! I appreciate it.
I am really only moderately knowledgeable when it comes to ES lore, there are people on the official Bethesda forums that make my knowledge look like nothing.

Maxtro said:
OK, if it hasn't been said in game, through dialog or a book, then I won't accept it just yet.

Also the whole disappearance thing is still being treated as a mysery in game.

Kneeing was involved in a quest and Septimus thought the heart of Lorkan was in the box.
Yes Keening was involved in a quest..... a quest that ended when the quest giver mysteriously disappeared and you somehow became able to summon his ghost.... as if his soul became bound to you..... sounds kinda like.... how the Dewemer disappeared and had their souls bound to Numidium.

I wonder if that means Numidium could summon the Dwemer's ghosts if it was controlled. that would be badass, a giant 1,000 foot tall god-robot summoning an army of Dwemer ghosts.

Bethesda will never reveal what happened to the Dwemer in the game itself, it would ruin the mystery, but that doesn't mean they wont tell us outside the game because they know 99% of players will never see it.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I personallly hope they don't explain it. I enjoy there being this element of mystery in the backstory. I mean Dragons were this mysterious thing and look what happened when they appeared. They're honestly one of the more boring parts of Skyrim for me since there's no intuitive way to fight them (just hit them until they die), and were just fairly what you expect from fantasy dragons rather than this mystical god-like thing you read about from previous games.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Gatx said:
I personallly hope they don't explain it. I enjoy there being this element of mystery in the backstory. I mean Dragons were this mysterious thing and look what happened when they appeared. They're honestly one of the more boring parts of Skyrim for me since there's no intuitive way to fight them (just hit them until they die), and were just fairly what you expect from fantasy dragons rather than this mystical god-like thing you read about from previous games.
Except.... they aren't like normal fantasy dragons at all.

Normal fantasy dragons are beast-like creatures who live in caves and horde gold, like Smaug from the Hobbit.

The dragons in the Elder Scrolls games are more like Chinese dragons, divine/mystical beings with intelligence that have a connection with the gods.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Gatx said:
Except.... they aren't like normal fantasy dragons at all.

Normal fantasy dragons are beast-like creatures who live in caves and horde gold, like Smaug from the Hobbit.

The dragons in the Elder Scrolls games are more like Chinese dragons, divine/mystical beings with intelligence that have a connection with the gods.
Well I meant in terms of fighting them, and how the player "interacts" with them, which is you know, fighting generally. They fly around and breathe fire, and they're completely killable even by NPCs, for gameplay reasons obviously. My FIRST dragon "kill" was taken down for me by the Whiterun guards, completely ruined the magic.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Gatx said:
]Well I meant in terms of fighting them, and how the player "interacts" with them, which is you know, fighting generally. They fly around and breathe fire, and they're completely killable even by NPCs, for gameplay reasons obviously. My FIRST dragon "kill" was taken down for me by the Whiterun guards, completely ruined the magic.
Actually any average joe can kill Dragons, that is how it is in lore. there were no Dragonborn during the Dragonwwars, Alessia was the first Dragonborn and she was born hundreds of years later.

The Dragonborn is the only person who can take their souls preventing Alduin from bringing them back, but without Alduin the Dragonborn isn't needed.

The Dragnons were never a "only YOU can kill them" creature, they were a "only you can stop Alduin from bringing them back by taking their souls" creatures.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
The disappearance of the Dwemer is also touched upon in an obscure College quest in Skyrim. Near the end of the extensive quest 'Arniel's Endeavor', you have to find a warped soul gem and the legendary dagger Keening (a tool used to destroy the Heart of Lorkhan in Morrowind). When Arniel hits the gem with Keening, he disappears. This effect was most likely what made the dwarves disappear. They hit the Heart of Lorkhan with the dagger and were removed from existence.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Jimmy T. Malice said:
The disappearance of the Dwemer is also touched upon in an obscure College quest in Skyrim. Near the end of the extensive quest 'Arniel's Endeavor', you have to find a warped soul gem and the legendary dagger Keening (a tool used to destroy the Heart of Lorkhan in Morrowind). When Arniel hits the gem with Keening, he disappears. This effect was most likely what made the dwarves disappear. They hit the Heart of Lorkhan with the dagger and were removed from existence.
Arniel wasn't removed from existence, he was merged with you, that is why you gain the summon Anriel's shade spell, because he became bound to you.

the Dwemer suffered a similar fate, they were merged with Numidium.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
I like that it remains a mystery, like many other things in TES. Keeps me very interested and keeps my imagination running wild, I've even enjoyed investigating it in Skyrim X3.

culpeo

Nov 11, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
The entirety of the Dwemer race, sans Yagrum in Morrowind, merged themselves into a giant robot, and became its metal skin. They did so to try and ascend outside of the mortal realm. The biggest question relating to the Dwemer is not where they went, but why did Numidium not ascend.

Also this fate is shown in Skyrim during the College of Winterhold quest "Arneil's Endeavor", which, at the end, results in Arniel disappearing and you gaining the ability to summon his shade. Much like the Dwemer before him, Arniel became fused with the closest divine object, you, the Dovahkiin, he who carries the divine dragon blood, just as the Dwemer were merged with Numidium.
I wonder why Arniel was performing experiments on the disappearance of the dwemer in the first place, assuming the explanation you provided would have been known to him. Even if he were merely trying to confirm it by replicating the disappearance on a much smaller scale, you'd think he would have at least been aware of the possibility that he would be subjecting himself to a similar fate.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
culpeo said:
I wonder why Arniel was performing experiments on the disappearance of the dwemer in the first place, assuming the explanation you provided would have been known to him. Even if he were merely trying to confirm it by replicating the disappearance on a much smaller scale, you'd think he would have at least been aware of the possibility that he would be subjecting himself to a similar fate.
The explanation I gave wouldn't be known to him.

Which makes what he was doing more dangerous.