Electronic Arts Kills FIFA Manager Franchise

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Reed Spacer said:
FogHornG36 said:
that's not football...

I didn't even know they had a fifa manager game, im sure it wasn't a vary good simulation, no riots, and no fans putting refs to death.
'Football' is called soccer here.
And here we make fun of Americans for calling it soccer. John Cleese had an amusing rant:

And while we?re on the subject, why do the Americans insist on calling it ?soccer?? Why do they have such a problem calling it ?football?? It?s a game played with a ball that is struck with the foot, hence foot ball.

Are you following this, America? The clue is in the title; it?s not that difficult. Whereas ?American football,? as they call it, is a game where an object that?s not really a ball at all, it?s the wrong shape for a ball, is carried around by hand and occasionally thrown for other people to catch in their hands, you see. Only one person in each team is actually allowed to kick the ball and they have to be specially brought onto the field to do it.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I've never heard of it. My brothers like to play Football Manager games. Hell I played a season of Football Manager once when I was a kid and I don't even like football. So the people who want to play such a game play Football Manager. That is almost certainly why they are stopping it. It has nothing to do with online, it is just that the niche is being filled by a better game that sells more.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
bificommander said:
Reed Spacer said:
FogHornG36 said:
that's not football...

I didn't even know they had a fifa manager game, im sure it wasn't a vary good simulation, no riots, and no fans putting refs to death.
And here we make fun of Americans for calling it soccer. John Cleese had an amusing rant:

And while we?re on the subject, why do the Americans insist on calling it ?soccer?? Why do they have such a problem calling it ?football?? It?s a game played with a ball that is struck with the foot, hence foot ball.

Are you following this, America? The clue is in the title; it?s not that difficult. Whereas ?American football,? as they call it, is a game where an object that?s not really a ball at all, it?s the wrong shape for a ball, is carried around by hand and occasionally thrown for other people to catch in their hands, you see. Only one person in each team is actually allowed to kick the ball and they have to be specially brought onto the field to do it.
Are you sure that is what American Football is? I thought it was something they showed for 30 seconds while they found some more ads to play.

Besides, Rugby fans (both types) call it football and their ball is ovoid. I think Rugby has been playing football longer than there has been a Football Association (That fact is just off the top of my head).

Ball doesn't mean sphere, it means ball.

I only watch football ever four years, I can't get interested in petty squabbles between overpaid oafs. National pride, now that is interesting. (I watch the local comp sometimes, but the quality is iffy, and it sure as hell doesn't compare to the World Cup).

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, I'm not surprised by this in the slightest. Football Manager is the far superior series. It'll be interesting to see if Football Manager is now allowed licensing to the German national team and such, now that FIFA Manager will no longer exist.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
bificommander said:
Reed Spacer said:
FogHornG36 said:
that's not football...

And the funniest part is, the people in American football who actually DO kick the ball are generally looked down on as being "not real football players". Like having the happiness of 50 fat steroid junkies and 50,000 angry rednecks rest on a kick that you only get one shot at is the simplest thing on earth.

For what it's worth, most of the world's football codes are actually pretty close cousins, and they were originally named football to distinguish them from polo, i.e. this is the ball game you play "on foot".

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Ed130 said:
Storm Dragon said:
^ then ^ again: I love how this guy copies Xan Krieger's avatar and promptly gets himself permabanned.

On a more relevant note: Man, I bet hundreds of thousands of people are burning EA CEOs in effigy over this. Y'know, in addition to all the usual reasons for doing so.
Actually that is the official Escapist permabanned avatar. Xan Kriger is the one who copied it.
Dude is right, I figured most of my friends are using it since they're all permabanned (seriously, spend enough time in the R&P section and watch people drop like flies) so I'd use it as sort of a tribute to them.