Electronic Arts Kills the Online Pass

Stampede

Nov 26, 2012
dalek sec said:
saintdane05 said:
Already, you exalt me for my triumphs,
When I ask only that you remember me for my treacheries

Victory is nothing more than survival.
It carries no weight of honour or worth beyond what we ascribe to it.
If you wish to grow wise, learn why brothers betray brothers.
Yes Grand Master. (From "The Emperor's Gift" I see... you have good taste brother.)

Thought for the Day: Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

OT: Yeah, I'm agreeing with others, this is just far too good to be true. Time will show us what these bastards have in store for us since they dropped this stuff now. Let's not give them a hero's welcome when they have so many more failings to make up for.

A great (and flawed) man once shouted this while being confronted by the mistakes of his past: Such are the ways of Daemons, to lie and mislead us!

Regardless of whether this is EA looking at pie charts, listening to vocal or financial feedback, trying to undo some of the "business oriented" decisions they have made, hatching some scheme to gain popularity and stick it to the competition, preparing for a different kind of product control or just following some grander plan aimed at future generation consoles/Origin, it hardly matters. Either this is the first step in a long redeeming process, in which case I will watch them from the shadows of Steam very carefully, or a trap, in which case I'd apply the same strategy.

Also, I feel very comfortable using Warhammer 40K quotes in regard to this subject... huh...

An open mind is like a fortress with it's gate unbarred and unguarded.
There is no innocence, only varying degrees of guilt.
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.
The difference between heresy and treachery is ignorance.
Beginning reform is beginning revolution.
A suspicious mind is a healthy mind.
A small mind is easily filled with faith.
Examine your thoughts...

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Yes, we listened too you, the gamer, and gave you what you wanted!
Now, we're giving you something else alongside it, I -KNOW- you'll love it, market research told us so!
ALWAYS ONLINE FOR EVERY GAME EVER AHHHHH HAAA HAAA HAAAA!

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
This is amazing but I can't help but feel they're luring us into another sort of money trap, although it could just be that with always-on and anti-used game technology they won't actually need online passes.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Wait... What? I can't even be snarky about it, that's just.... good?
I still don't like or trust you EA, but this is a good step toward changing that.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Absolutionis said:
Why is everyone so happy?

It's not like EA did anything 'good'. They just stopped doing something 'bad'. It's not the same thing. They're still doing plenty of other 'bad' things.
Pretty much my thoughts on the matter. But I guess a lot of people around here are so desperate to find reasons to like EA again they'll take what they can get. After all, if you dislike EA then you automatically dislike Bioware, DICE, Mass Effect, Battlefield, or anything else even remotely associated with EA, right? I mean, is it not impossible to like the content but dislike the producers/funders of the content? That's what the internet tells me, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for seeing EA turn around and join the ranks of the (very) few decent, community friendly publishers. I really am.

However, this "removal" of the Online Pass isn't technically a good thing. It's a move in the right direction, granted, but it's still simply a reversal of a very bad thing. A reversal that could just be the lead up to something similar, or worse. Time will tell.

As such, I'm not ready to celebrate just yet. When EA removes, in the very least, most of it's bad "features*", and starts committing to more consumer friendly practices, then I'll crack out the bubbly.

Till then, I remain skeptical.

[sub]* Features... Ha! That's a good one John Reseburg.[/sub]

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I need to wait and see how this plays out. It sounds too good to be true that EA would cave in so easily.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Great, and now we know why. The Xbox One doesn't play nice with used games.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
They're not removing Online Passes out of the goodness of their hearts, they're doing it because PROFIT.

Either having the Online Pass was costing them profit, or they've found another way of squeezing players for money making the Online Pass unnecessary.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Got to hand it to them, that's some actual good news. But microtransactions will replace it, so that cancels out the karma.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well, now we know why they've done it.

Because Microsoft are introducing it at a hardware level, so it's not 'their' fault anymore when that used game doesn't work.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Well considering the Xbox one now makes pre-owned games virtually impossible this is now completely void right?

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
They must've laughed their ass of at all this free good press for nothing. And they had to go the extra mile pretending they've "listened to feedback".

Or maybe there was a point where they were actually considering having online passes on top of Xbox's pre-owned fee. I wouldn't be surprised.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
This makes no difference considering that now, every game on the Xbox One is basically going to have the online pass, so of course EA are going to get rid of the Online pass to not be redundant.