Elijah Wood's Frodo Will Appear in The Hobbit Movies

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
This is exciting to say the least. The movies provided much visual representations to the books. As a movie adaptation, even with an extra part to fill in as many blanks as possible, things will need to be edited to some extent in order for it to work as a cinematic experience. What went in the book might not work with a movie.

For example, I think they did a much better job at portraying Fangorn and the Ents in the Two Towers' film adaptation than the book, explaining alot more in just a few scenes what took the book over a chapter to get to! The scene where Treebeard witnesses what Saruman has really become is a humorous, yet very touching one. Adds alot more tension and reinforcement for the whole event compared to the book.

It wasn't until the third movie that I got a bit disappointed. Using the ghosts to clear more than just the fleet, and the very climax between Frodo, Sam and Smeagol being edited. I'm fine with everything else, but they could at least have gotten the very -key ending moment- true to the books!

I've heard alot of complaint about Sauron being over-the-top in the movies rather than being a schemer in the background. In the first movie they pulled this off perfectly if you ask me, for the most part you only heard hushed, terrified whispers of the Dark Lord. When a glimpse of him is spotted however, with Frodo going outside the physical realm, you surely get a sense of dread over what lies over the horizon. In The Two Towers there's nothing to comment, as the focus was on Saruman. In the third movie however they did shopw a bit too much perhaps.

The prolouge is critizised aswell for "degrading" Sauron to a "Rawr! Smash!" kind of villain instead of a more cunning sort. I would agree on that he shouldn't have any need to use that club, really. I mean... he has -the One Ring-, show us what it's capable of! He could probably incinerate a fourth of that army within a split-second, or something. For his appearnace in that scene however, it goes well with the books from what I can tell. As by that point Sauron's original physical form had been destroyed with the fall of Numénor, forcing him to take on a more decreipt, sinister one.

Anyway, back on topic! I'm glad Christopher was able to be cast as Saruman in the trilogy, not only does he fit the role but he's also a Lord of the Rings fan. Quite a reward to do an ending note of one's career with your favourite story. A shame they didn't plan the Hobbit a bit earlier, as now it is unlikely of him to be able to do any more acting.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
The Rascal King said:
.......my balls just exploded
Shall I kiss it better?
well mabey not.
And notice howI say 'it'

OT: yay I like the hobbit.
Anyone here played the game btw?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Outstanding! Good to see progress and this kind of storytelling should be interesting to see.

JWRosser said:
That's a point - any word on who is playing Smaug?

If I remember correctly he speaks.

EDIT: According to wiki, Christopher Lee, whilst expressing interest in reprising his role as Saruman, does not feel comfortable flying to New Zealand at his age. However, he did say that he would love [sic] voicing Smaug.
Man I if I saw Christopher Lee in my backyard I'd squeal like a little girl xD

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Nocta-Aeterna said:
Seeing as the book "The Hobbit" itself was supposedly Tolkien's translation of the Red Book of Westmarch, it itself was narrated post-adventure by Bilbo himself, which makes this framing device all the more awesome. Though, perhaps it would be just as good if it was Sam reading to his kids (I distinctly remember Frodo leaving the Red Book with Sam when leaving for Valinor).

My only question is: Why suddenly include Radagast? He hadn't interacted with either Bilbo or Frodo and only briefly appeared in The Fellowship to deliver a message to Gandalf. Just wondering =/
IIRC Radagast used lots of birds to spy on Sauron's troop movements and reported to the White Council. This fills me with hope because it means that they will hopefully show more about what the White Council was doing while Bilbo was on his quest.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Oh come on, you cant put spoilers in news like this :S

Kind of like when gamespot marks its reviews as containing spoilers. Well f that.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
All I can say is, "Yaaaaaay!"

And yet, I pretty much hated Frodo by the end of the movies, Sam was the better Hobbit. I'm sure Tolkien woulda given him a cracker jack story had he lived longer or written faster.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
SO EXCITED!

The Lord of the Rings movies were great and if The Hobbit is as good as the trilogy, it will be a great year.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
The Rascal King said:
Shall I kiss it better?
well mabey not.
And notice howI say 'it'

Yep it was the first game i ever played ^_^,got it for my birthday and everything. In fact despite it's age it's still in my top 10 games of all time [although that could be the nostalgia talking].

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
knight steel said:
imnotparanoid said:
The Rascal King said:
Shall I kiss it better?
well mabey not.
And notice howI say 'it'

Yep it was the first game i ever played ^_^,got it for my birthday and everything. In fact despite it's age it's still in my top 10 games of all time [although that could be the nostalgia talking].
Glad its not just me.
It was pretty har If I remember right.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
knight steel said:
imnotparanoid said:
The Rascal King said:
Shall I kiss it better?
well mabey not.
And notice howI say 'it'

Glad its not just me.
It was pretty hard If I remember right.
Yeah some point were tricky i remember being stuck in mirkwood for a month or so ^_^.