Emotionally draining games

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
Today for a bit of alternate timeline fun, I replayed a save of mass effect 2 I had just before the final mission

Basically this happened:

I deliberately tried to have everyone killed off just to see how it happened, and to witness other characters reactions to deaths and such. But it was all so moving I found myself being choked up a little bit. Even though its my fault Thane got a bullet in the face trying to close a door. Even though i deliberatley got Tali riddled with bullets. Even though I knew having Miranda generate the biotic shield would have a member of my team die (in this case my beloved Garrus) it seriously affected me (or is it effected? ). I'd spent an entire game with these characters, growing rather fond of all their silly personality disorders and trust issues. Mordins fast talking stopped becoming annoying and became lovable the second he got tagged. Jack's awkward antisocial and aggressive attitude became forgiveable the second she gave her life to save yeoman chambers and the doctor. And even after having Grunt and Jacob survive couldn't lessen the blow that I didn't realise I'd feel

So my question to you Escapist is this:
When has a game most memorably moved you?
simple enough
please include full details and why it affected you personally in that way if you'd be so lovely

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I remember at the end of Medal of Honor Frontline you were sneaking up on a bunker, and if you listened to the german guy talking on the radio, he was calling his fiance, and telling her he loved her and would be home soon. I only listened to the conversation the second or third time I played that level, and afterwards never killed anyone in that bunker, but would sneak past it if possible.

Also when the Flood first appeared in Halo, the Well enough Alone level. That scared the ever-loving crap out of me.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Shadow of the Colossus. It's one of the few games to have had me in tears.
Specifically, the part where the bridge collapses underneath you, and Agro throws you to safety but falls down the canyon. And then the ending, even more so, when Mono gets up off the slab, and you hear a whinny in the distance... I wept for joy that my beloved companion wasn't dead.

If you play it all the way through and don't love your horse by the end, there's something wrong with you.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
I was quite upset when Dogmeat tried to take on a Super Mutant Behemoth mano e mano. And lost.

Farewell, you stupid bastard.

ConnorCool

Master Assassin
Apr 23, 2009
I had a war horse from the start of Red Dead Redemption. I had it with me until before the last mission, where it got killed by bear. I ran around for 20 minutes killing every bear I saw.
The ending of the last mission didn't cheer me up either.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
All games I get into are emotionally draining to me. Mostly near the end, when I realize my game is almost over.

The most emotionally draining game I've ever played.... hmmm. Probably Fallout 3 on my attempt to get those achievements rewarding you for being evil. I never did get them all; I found I couldn't take it anymore.

Tamama

Oct 28, 2010
Everytime I touch the dark world in Super Meat Boy, I die a little inside.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
A lot of games have moved me.
One game though, that really did "hurt my heart" so to speak (aside from Persona 3 or FFX) was FFVII: Crisis Core. We aaaall knew that Zack was gonna die at the end. I know that's just how the story is. But when I was in that last shoot out with the infantrymen, I tried sooooo hard to let him live. Dodging, healing, attacking...It was like I was desperate to keep him alive. But as the battle went on, Zack kept getting weaker and eventually died. I...that was a tough ending for me )':

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
well my first thoughts were Thief III and Hitman: Bloodmoney and 2. But now that you mention it RPGs like KotOR 1&2 are good examples for me as well but for different reasons. Those games are just so involving that it would take a great deal to play them again.

But back to my first 2 games, they're both stealth games, and for me to do well in them i have to be at my absolute best. I need to have all my patience and be aware of everything going on. The thing is, all these things are at their best when i first start playing the game. I can only ever manage to play them an hour or two a day because after that i start to make mistakes. Once i make a mistake i want to reload the save cause i was aiming to do it perfectly. The thing is, when i have to replay content i have a tendency to miss small but important details. I take it for granted that I've done this before and so start making even more mistakes.

So for me, stealth games are draining in their own way. (but still one of my favorite genera)

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Well, I would have to say that the most emotionally draining games I have played were Deadly Premonition, The Darkness, killer7, and Silent Hill 2-3 (don't know about the others. I have not played them). All were pretty emotionally draining. There were some pretty shocking stuff in each one. Examples:
Deadly Premonition had that bit at the end were you find Emily with the plant growing out of her chest... Which she then rips out to commit suicide.
The death of Jenny in The Darkness was also one of the most shocking bits I have seen in a game, simply because you did not expect it.
When the truth of what was really going in with the Smiths in killer7 was finally revealed, it was a bit of shock as well. No way will I ever forget that... There was also, of course, seeing the younger Garcian committing suicide, and seeing Harmans maid raping his comatose wheelchair bound self, but those did not stick in my mind a much as the ending.
There was also the Pyramid Head rape scene in Silent Hill 2, and swallowing the fetus in Silent Hill 3. Those were some pretty shocking moments as well.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
supermariner said:
(or is it effected? )
Ok, I pray to god that that was a 'clever' pun since you were talking about mass effect and that you do know the difference...

For me, Yeah Mass 2 had some emotional moments for me too. First time through I actually lost Thane by sending him into the airducts and that hit me a little, even though I've never been that invested in his character.

Then there's the cutscenes towards the end of Mass 1 where the arcturus fleet dices the geth fleet and saves the Destiny ascension (the music realy sells that one though)

Dead Island trailer, don't think I need to elaborate

Ah yes, as much as we may complain about Dom moping about his wife in gears 2, can't deny that when he finds her and then some, you couldn't help but feel a little bit weak-kneed. I for one had a largely bolstered incentive to kill Locust after that...

What else is there....... Ah! I was rather touched by the repressed memories missions in AC Brohood: sort of fleshed Ezio out a little more nad gave food for thought on many of his more jarring decisions throughout AC2.

And finally the loss of our faithfull companion cube. Oh the humility.

Morrowind393

Dec 19, 2008
The game that tugged on my heart strings was Beyond Good and Evil.

I don't know how too do the spoiler box, so anyone who hasn't played the game, but still might should read no further.

the part that got me was when you return to the light house, and find it has been destroyed, and the children abducted, and Jade just wants to gives up.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Metro 2033, anytime you're in a prolonged gas mask section and there're monsters abound.

Portal 2, just because it's over

Mass Effect 2 because i lost Legion fucking twice

And finally HL2 Ep2 just for the bullshit cliffhanger.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 was pretty draining for me the first time I played it. After getting acquainted with your squad members to the point that you really care about them, the game starts picking them off one by one. By the time the game ends about half of the squad is dead.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
I'm don't really feel any real emotion when playing games, i usually act on logic when playing games with morality choices like alpha protocol, Fallout, Mass effect. However i did cry at the end of the first storyline in Pokemon mystery dungeon:explorers of darkness.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Mother 3

Everything about that game is and some parts are just extreamly depressing

CAPTCHA: Tomstai HERMAN
Who?

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
Thief 3's "The Cradle". About half-way through the level I had to stop for a solid 5 minutes because my hands were shaking too hard because of the brilliantly subtle terror created by the atmosphere.

I *think* Ocarina of Time was the first game to make me well up: during the ending sequence where you get to see the people of Hyrule celebrating. Similarly, FFX's ending had me in tears and I ended up taking a walk outside just to appreciate the world's beauty.

Wow, this makes me seem like such a sap...

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
Silent Hills 2
When James finds out the he killed Mary, I was stunned. His reaction was the worst thing about it. He just sits there, totally defeated. Then 10 minutes later you run into Angela. Poor, poor Angela. That's the first time i've ever felt sorry for a video game character.

Final Fantasy X
When Tidus has to leave, but stll tries to hold Yuna even though he can't. Ya he was a bit annoying, and Yuna's purity got on my nerves. But I still liked them and was hoping they'd both make it through.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Fucking Lolo 3. Fuck that game. I'd curse more, but it's been years... ...fuck you Lolo3, just fuck you.