End of Nations Open Beta Postponed Indefinitely - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
End of Nations Open Beta Postponed Indefinitely - UPDATED

Trion Worlds says players who have pre-purchased End of Nations will soon be contacted with more information.

What we've seen of the free-to-play MMORTS End of Nations so far looks pretty cool. Gameplay five favorites [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/5816-End-of-Nations-Match-of-the-Century]" of E3 2012, calling it "one of those sought-after 'easy to learn, hard to master' games that only need as much of your time as you're willing to give." But in spite of all the pre-release positivity, it would appear that something, somewhere hasn't gone quite as smoothly as expected.

"Thank you all for your support over the past few months while we have been testing the game in Closed Beta. While we received an incredible amount of positive feedback, the Closed Beta tests also identified several key areas of the game which need polish and improvement," the team wrote on the End of Nations Facebook page.

"As a result, we have decided to postpone the Open Beta phase of testing until further notice. We will let you know as soon as we have an update," it continued. "Those players who made an End of Nations purchase should expect to receive a follow-up email shortly. Thank you in advance for your continued input and support. It is greatly appreciated."

Trion Worlds made the game available for VG247 [http://www.amazon.com/End-Nations-PCMacLinux/dp/B008K2BGPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354118355&sr=8-1&keywords=End+of+Nations] said those who bought the game will be given refunds, but there's no indication that a money-back deal is actually on the table. If you bought the game and receive a refund offer in the follow-up email, feel free to let us know.

UPDATE: Alex van Dijk has sent over a copy of the email he received from Trion Worlds which confirms that everyone who purchased the game will get their money back. "We will automatically process a refund for your purchase shortly," the email says. "You will receive an email confirmation of the transaction once your refund has been completed." The Trion Worlds support site also revealed that End of Nations has been taken offline [https://support.trionworlds.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1325/kw/end%20of%20nations%20refund] completely and will remain down as work on the game continues.

[gallery=976]

Source: Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/EndofNations/posts/494609507228403]

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Sounds about right. The beta experience was very bland so far, great concept that ended up with gameplay from the early CnC era... But then again, it DOES have a lot of potential, so it's good for the creators to realize what's wrong and try to fix it. Kudos for the courage!

Captcha: dueling banjos - EXACTLY what this game needs!

Telba

May 30, 2009
Monsterfurby said:
gameplay from the early CnC era
Could you please specify if you mean the very first C&Cs (Tyberian Dawn, Red Alert 1, etc.) or the era of Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2? Cause if that is the case, it is hardly a bad thing.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Telba said:
Monsterfurby said:
Could you please specify if you mean the very first C&Cs (Tyberian Dawn, Red Alert 1, etc.) or the era of Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2? Cause if that is the case, it is hardly a bad thing.
The closest comparison would be that the gameplay was similar to taking a big bite of moist cardboard and chewing on it a bit. The game available in it's beta form is horrible, fullstop. Great idea, but it feel flat as an interactive experience.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Admittedly I only played in the Alpha for End of Nations so I don't know how much it had improved when it went into Beta [sub]even though I got tons of emails notifying me to come back[/sub] but what I played in Alpha was very bland and repetitive and if what the other posters have said is true then it can't have really made that much of a change.

Monsterfurby said:
Captcha: dueling banjos - EXACTLY what this game needs!
lol Monkey Island Reference. :D

nomaner

May 9, 2012
Telba said:
Monsterfurby said:
More like Tiberian Dawn or Tiberian Sun. You have the choice of 2 groups: a slow heavy armor group, like GDI and a fast stealthy group like Nod. They even act like them. The EoN GDI group's color is orange and wants to free the world from the current evil NPC army, while the EoN Nod group is green and wants to replace the NPC army with their own ideal version of the evil NPC's original intention. You deploy units like Empire at War, instead of base building though.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Good. Rushing Open Betas tends to do more harm than good. Case in point, Mechwarrior Online, which is a promising core game wrapped in endless layers of shit that is broken netcode, terrible balance, lack of content and an absurd business system.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I won't shed any tears over it, this really is not an enjoyable thing to play because it is so bloody grindy, everything takes forever to kill and it will just be back 10 seconds later as you can constantly spam units.
Sure we can call it early C&C era in that End of Nations brings about one tenth of C&C mechanics.

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
I haven't touched it since Alpha, but I thought it was absolute garbage. Fundamentally it just seemed completely broken; the kind of broken that can't be explained away with "it's not finished yet".

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Monsterfurby said:
Sounds about right. The beta experience was very bland so far
Not admitting to anything assuming an NDA might still be, maybe active and a certain someone has not kept up with it for several months. This someone found the game intriguing but what it offered did not follow through and interest was ultimately lost. Even so hope remains.

SweetWarmIce

Jun 1, 2009
No it's ok you can keep my money. Sounds like you need it.

Captcha: come back

Are these things self aware?