"End of the World" LHC Lawsuit Tossed Out

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Well, we have to be careful with the LHC. With this guy working there, there is no telling if a resonance cascade will happen.
As long as he's not putting a crystal into it.

Andy Chalk said:
Readers who wish to stay abreast of the Large Hadron Collider's impact on the future of the planet are invited to monitor www.hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com [http://www.hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/] for updates.
Sorry Escapist, I have a new favourite website now.

himemiya1650

Jan 16, 2010
Oh no if the botanist and theorist can't save us from those evil particle physicists no one can D:

Psydney

Oct 29, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Readers who wish to stay abreast of the Large Hadron Collider's impact on the future of the planet are invited to monitor www.hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com [http://www.hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/] for updates.
I am *so* bookmarking that web site for days when I'm in a bad mood.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Let the thing run, the chances of it causing a black hole are infinitesimal, and besides, there have been other Particle Accelerators in operation for many years without any problems.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Even with my GCSE level science exam knowledge can understand why nothing is going to happen

aside from heavy electricity caused by sodomised electrons

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
You never know what can happen when you have Large Hardon Collisions. They have been known to cause catastrophic events.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Of course, most people with brains know its been mathematically proven the ruddy thing'll bring about time travellers before it blows up the earth.

.. Seriously, someone turned out a paper detailing likelihoods, and rated the chances of the LHC creating at full power a viable 'target' for a time machine (possible in certain theories) that could send travellers back from the past, infinitely higher than the chances of the thing destroying the world.

'Thing hasn't turned gone up to full power yet, either, you know.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
tkioz said:
Personally I think we shouldn't be playing with crap like that... it's kind of like playing with dynamite in your lounge room...
It isn't, at all. That dynamite actually has a chance of blowing up the lounge room. The LHC won't do anything remotely close to what we've already done, like exploding atomic bombs within Earth's atmosphere. If you want to worry about something, worry about getting hit by a meteor or electrocuted by a thunderbolt.

Robby Foxfur

Sep 1, 2009
danpascooch said:
Hubilub said:
IT IS A SIGN FOR OUR JUDGMENT! 2012 WILL KILL US ALL! REPENT! REPENT!

Science does not care if we live or die!
yeah, science is an asshole! I still like him better than nature though
I love you both, OMG this is lawsuit should be tossed out and the man needs fined and or jailed, for wasting the courts time.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Don't worry folks, we have top men undercover...

Any bets on just how many times that picture will appear in the thread? I'll open the bidding at fourteen-thousand.

Back to the pending doom and destruction of common sense; is this guy, by any chance, a religious nut or generally uneducated fellow? I imagine that he doesn't believe in electricity either.

Skarovich

May 14, 2010
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Don't worry folks, we have top men undercover...

Wasn't this guy given a crowbar too? Where was that news article...

Oh, here. http://gizmodo.com/5095760/cerns-gordon-freeman-employee-receives-crowbar-starts-murdering

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
The legal side of this reminds me of when Stewart Lee was taken to court for blasphemy over the Jerry Springer Opera, but was quoted as saying 'fortunately, the blasphemy case was thrown out by the judge due to it not being 1508'.

Similar kinda thing by the sound of it 'We cannot pursue your case I'm afraid as we stopped worshipping the sun a few centuries ago.'

Also, the great cyriak did something rather fine with the idea as soon panic started spreading:

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html