Ender's Game Author Asks For Tolerance After Boycott Threat

Greni

Jun 19, 2011
Love how passionate people are about these kinds of topics, assholes or no.

This guy is a dick, the guy who came up with Earthworm Jim is also a particularly juicy sample of male genitalia.
Do I like that worm? Fuck yeah. Do I buy the products from which that bigoted, close-minded idiotic sample of human indecency gets any profit from? Fuck no.

Y,see kids? If the dummies get money from promoting their medieval morals, you gotta hit em where it hurts.
If that dude would stay in his homophobic closet and churn out quality literature that would be fine. But once the money starts rolling in that gains him an audience. He becomes a figurehead of something more than just a human being.
By giving him money we are also giving him a chance of speaking louder and clearer. Free speech is free but to get to the stage takes money, which we have to choose who gets.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Lilani said:
barbzilla said:
Dude, maybe you should chill. I am an agnostic, I don't have any religion other than just the belief that there is something else out there besides us. What you are talking about is the continuation of an agreement that England and the catholics had. This carried over to the US, but marriage as we know it today started as a religious institution. Prior to it being about coupling two people in love it was a contractual agreement between men to transfer ownership of women, so I don't consider that marriage. So before you go and spew your bile at someone, perhaps you should collect all the facts first.

Marriage itself started somewhere around 2500bc in Mesopotamia. It didn't become involved in politics until the Roman Catholic Church made it mandatory to be "legally" married as a way to increase tithes. Eventually it became even more tied to government when the Church of England tied itself to the King. This is also about the time that the crusades started, so it wasn't a period of great judgement. However gay marriage has been allowed as far back as the Roman empire, and that was with the church's blessing at the time as well.

So next time, maybe you should engage the person in conversation before you make assumptions. After all we all know that when you make assumptions, you make an ass out of yourself (generally speaking, and not you in particular).
Marriage in the past was also once a way for a man to literally own a woman and for her to become classified as part of his property, but we were pretty quick to throw that one out of the books, eh?

Marriage has always been a religious institution. In the US of A religion and politics is supposed to be separated. By making laws about Marriage, the government is effectively restricting people's religious beliefs (which it is not supposed to, but has been doing for some time).
...But seriously, the role of marriage today is for the government to recognize people who are living as one legal, entity under one roof. Them being able to recognize these people makes inheritance, child custody, joint bank accounts and loans, hospital visitation, and power of attorney much easier to figure out. It may have had religious roots and a religious reason for being in the past, but as far as the government uses it, marriage is simply a legal classification that determines one's tax bracket. For that reason, to decide the standards of this legal classification by the standards of a religious group is violating religious freedom. The government is not allowed to use the values of a certain religion as its measuring stick for any legal classification. Which yes, is restricting people's religious rights, because that means if they make the mistake of not choosing to follow the values of the specific vein of the specific religion the government has decided is its favorite, then their relationship doesn't get to be recognized.
*sigh*
Here we go again. I'm going to just sum this up with I am not against gay marriage. I am for it. In fact I think that any two people should be allowed to engage in any union they wish to engage in, regardless of sex, stature, religion, social standing, or whatever. If you want further explanation of my meanings feel free to check my later posts in this thread as they address my meaning with what I said.

My only point is that the way it is currently handled is dual natured, I wish to remove that dual nature from the concept of marriage. Letting the religious nuts have their way with the whole god thing, and the government to keep things equal to every living person.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Its really simple, people are allowed to boycott and should if they disagree with his viewpoint, regardless of the movie. Why? Because the terrorist scouts(adorable little mass murders) could sell the worlds most amazing cookies in the world, but by buying them, your funding and supporting their viewpoints and activities(Popsicle stick explosive vests,etc). In the same way, by paying for the movie, even if its a good movie, your supporting a horrible bigot and utter lunatic. I don't honestly believe any movie, being a short term source of entertainment, it worth giving any money to someone I consider to be a monster.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
It seems that he has accepted the fact that gay marriage is happening and has conceded his stance against it, basically saying that he had a different viewpoint but the courts have spoken and he wont stand in the way of your rights. Which I cant see that as anything but positive. What he is wondering now is if the pro-gay marriage crowd will take their victory gracefully or will be sore winners. I think it is a valid point but the discussion is about how he is only doing this for monetary gain and how much of a bigot he is so everyone should boycott everything he does and thus prove his point for him...go team!!!

How much should someone hate someone else for expressing an opposing viewpoint? Especially concerning rights, which are about the most abstract thing on the planet.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Loki_The_Good said:
This right here. It's amazing how many people forget this. Also thee irony of Orson asking for tolerance. This was by far my biggest laugh of the day. SO I guess there's that.
also, just the notion that we're "destroying" him by not buying his books.

I don't get it. Is he entitled to our money even if we don't want his product?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Spearmaster said:
It seems that he has accepted the fact that gay marriage is happening and has conceded his stance against it, basically saying that he had a different viewpoint but the courts have spoken and he wont stand in the way of your rights.
How magnanimous that a man with absolutely no power has decided he's not going to do anything with that power he doesn't have.

What he is wondering now is if the pro-gay marriage crowd will take their victory gracefully or will be sore winners. I think it is a valid point but the discussion is about how he is only doing this for monetary gain and how much of a bigot he is so everyone should boycott everything he does and thus prove his point for him...go team!!!
Love that strawman.

However:

He is still a bigot. Simply saying that the courts have spoken doesn't change that. And there's really no reason to support him. He is likely doing this for financial gain. To be honest, I couldn't care less.

He wants to call gays abominations and pedophiles and all sorts of other nasty things and that's fine. I've never tried to stop him, but nor do I have any intent to support him, especially since he only begrudgingly said "okay, the courts have spoken."

If that's proving his point, then he has a really shitty point.

How much should someone hate someone else for expressing an opposing viewpoint? Especially concerning rights, which are about the most abstract thing on the planet.
Let me ask you something. Does the fact that you're defending a man who hates people for a fact of nature by asking about hate not cause some sort of dissonance in your mind?

I don't think most of the people boycotting him even hate him. I know I don't. Doesn't mean he's not a bigot. He is. And he hates people for something worse than stating an opinion: he hates them for being made different.

If he was railing against black people, would you be so quick to defend his hatred by condemning the hatred of others? I suppose so, as rights are the most abstract thing on the planet and therefore slavery is probably okay, MIRITE?

(edited to correct the use of subjective. I don't know how I switched those words, but I blame my fingers).

Nicholas Warner

Sep 28, 2011
I've read the litany of Ender's Game books from 1 to 11 - the series as a whole reflected no opinion of gay rights, and I can respect that. The author managed to separate his personal beliefs from his literary work. If anything the only disconcerting thing of the entire series was how in love Ender was with his sister Valentine.

Now we get to the crux of the argument; due to being in the public eye, he is susceptible to the public, fair and square. When Chik Filet (a noted Christian organization) went on strike against gay marriage then the people who ate at the restaurant supported them in that. I have friends who completely stopped eating at Chik Filet just because the stance they took against gay rights, and I feel that it was the right choice for them. As a consumer you take a stance on what you're willing to support just by coughing over money. People are allowed their virtues and their vices, if you do not wish to support the author, do not watch the movie, do not pay for his books. It's that simple.

A person can retract something that they felt was wrong, age makes people change opinions, and people grow with time. I will not say that this is the case for Card, due to the timing on the matter, but his opinion is his opinion. We kind of have to live with that, and all in all don't watch the movie if you have morally conflicting choices about the author's personal opinions.

However the Ender's Quarter; Ender's Game, Speaker of the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind were excellent works into science fiction. Especially with Speaker of the Dead (my favorite one of the series) a wonderful insight into a space-faring human race and how they would deal with xenophobia. How we, as humans, would approach another civilization we didn't understand, in an effort to co-exist.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
theApoc said:
Indeed it is culturally based. Which is why I believe you cannot legislate its interpretation. There is no legal reason that I can think of why I as an individual should not be able to partner with anyone I choose from a legal standpoint. THAT kind of support and cooperation, regardless of the reasons for such a partnership will always benefit society.
Right, I'd even consider a non-romantic financial union of sorts. If even businesses can do it, why not people? Though this union would be a little stronger than that with all the visitation rights and such.

Ceremonial marriage, while tied to the process of a legal union, does not actually create that union(an actual license is what truly matters, the ceremony is a formality and a religious official ends up being little more than a notarized witness of the bond).
Exactly. As per my example that we had our best man notarize the document, not the minister.

So, the key to this argument IMO is as you said, separating the legal aspect from the ceremony. So fighting for gay-MARRIAGE to me becomes little more than a pointless quest for acceptance, and THAT is where I find fault in the whole idea of "gay rights". Laws are not meant to force acceptance, they are meant to enforce compliance. And while a religious official CAN marry two people, they are not the only conduit for people to get married, thus a church refusing to marry same sex couples is NOT discriminatory and should not be looked at as such.

What people are upset about, regardless of their acceptance, is the idea that they HAVE to agree with someone else's lifestyle. That they have to accept someone else's beliefs above their own. No one gives a crap about who can visit you in the hospital, or file taxes with you.
Yes, this is part of their frustation because it conflicts with their own personal beliefs. Seeing people legislate what appears to be their belief system then becomes a personal battle for them to fight. That perception is unnecessary now that the marriage license no longer legislates the religious institution in the way it was initially intended to.

I am so tired of the whole, being gay is not a choice. WHAT? Of course it is. Being straight is a choice, being a Morman is a choice. Everything we do in life is about choice. We are born blank slates and OUR perception of beauty and companionship develops based on our experiences. Saying someone is born gay is no better than saying they are born with a disease. Being gay is not a disease anymore than being straight is the cure.

Laws are made to NEGATE the need for universal acceptance, something that anyone who has experienced racism post civil rights movement can easily attest to...
I would disagree with your statement of choice. Twin studies have shown a higher prevalence amongst identical twins both being gay if one is. It also showed non-identical twins as being higher than non-twin siblings but lower than identical twins. The result of the study indicates that a combination of genetic and environmental factors contribute to homosexuality. Please bear in mind, environmental factors do not mean "choice" per se nor does it wave away the apparent influence of genes. We are every bit a product of our environment as we are a product of our genes and things are socially encoded into us in a way that we can't overcome. A person who is terrified of spiders due to a traumatic experience in their youth is no more able to dismiss that fear than a person born with a lisp.

You should consider homosexuality to be a trait in this regard. Not a choice. I'm actually a little surprised that Christian's don't view it as a natural trait as well. Do Christians not consider a sin nature to be a natural conclusion of the fall? As such, they should see people who deal with being naturally one way or the other to be the same as someone being born blind. I've never understood the insistance that homosexuality cannot be inherent.

I would even posit from an evolutionary perspective that we are genetically predisposed to make close friendships with other males to help unify communities that may otherwise have been stuck in war. The men who were able to befriend other males easily were made stronger from it. Homosexuality may merely be this otherwise beneficial trait overriding heterosexual attraction in a maladaptive way (maladaptive purely due to hinderance in imposes on passing along genes, not any moral statement here).

But yes, even inherent traits are generally not forced to be accepted by the individual (businesses, yes). Just as organizations like the KKK are allowed to exist via the first amendment, so should people be allowed to be anti-gay. Society in turn is allowed to not accept them for their bigotry. But that is besides the point of my argument. My argument is to side step it entirely just by changing a name. That's not forcing acceptance so much as disassociation with the religious institution. As the license was designed with legislating the religious institution in mind, I don't think this step away from that is unwarranted.

Griffolion said:
My personal thought on the matter is that a state drawing a line in the sand and saying "this is OUR version of marriage, this is how we as a nation defines it, and everyone get's access to it", while probably meeting resistance from religious groups from a perceived "theft of the definition of marriage", would be most beneficial in the long term. Everyone get's the same word, for some it doesn't have to be religious but how it is defined by the state, for others it can take on whatever religious connotation their religion puts on it. But everyone has the same word (which can mean a lot when we subconsciously engage in labelling etc).
As long they persist in using the term, it will be percieved as a component of the religious and ceremonial version. It does not benefit anyone to continue calling it a marriage license and only serves to divide our people along another front. Even people who have nothing against homosexuals stand in defense of their religious tenets. This has got to stop. The marriage license WAS implemented to legislate the religious practice. Think about that. The goal was to prevent pastors and priests from marrying white and black people. Of course, this misuse got struck down but the license remains. If it's going to remain and no longer holds any punch in the religious strata, then it needs to be renamed or people will continue to think it still impacts them.

No one loses here, everyone gains. The religious minded can be free of feeling like their religion is under attack/oppressed by the government. There is a legitimate fear that the association of the two practices may bleed over in future legislation that may actually make pastors/priests perform the religious ceremony or face significant impunity. Additionally, wedding vendors already legally have to perform services for wedding ceremonies (religious ceremonies) they don't agree with. Several have faced fines and lost law suits for failing to do so on the basis of religious convictions. So their fears are not entirely unwarranted. While I don't think changing the name of the license would impact that last one, it gives credence to fears that the entire institution is under attack. This cuts off the two. The homosexual community benefits by getting all the rights they've been fighting for with much less resistance.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lightknight said:
That perception is unnecessary now that the marriage license no longer legislates the religious institution in the way it was initially intended to.
Wait...What? When did this happen? When was it ever about legislating religious institutions?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Lightknight said:
That perception is unnecessary now that the marriage license no longer legislates the religious institution in the way it was initially intended to.
Wait...What? When did this happen? When was it ever about legislating religious institutions?
In the US, until the mid-19th century (civil war/freedom of the slaves), common law marriages were the norm and entirely valid/recognized. Marriage licenses were implemented to prohibit whites "from marrying blacks, mulattos, Japanese, Chinese, Native Americans, Mongolians, Malays or Filipinos". By the 1920's, 38 states were using it for those reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_license#United_States

It was used to prevent churches from marrying those people and was entirely race based to begin with. It's quite a sordid past if you research it and not at all the ancient rite in America we like to think it is. So yeah, it was absolutely implemented to legislate the religious institution of marriage. That it still exists at all is somewhat questionable and there are groups who think it is absolutely not the government's right in any respect. So it is just/right that the license be altered to reflect its new form and function.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Might as well dig into the rest of this one.

Lightknight said:
I would disagree with your statement of choice. Twin studies have shown a higher prevalence amongst identical twins both being gay if one is. It also showed non-identical twins as being higher than non-twin siblings but lower than identical twins. The result of the study indicates that a combination of genetic and environmental factors contribute to homosexuality.
It's quite likely there is no genetic link to homosexuality, however. Environmental factors, yes. But there's no documented evidence of homosexuals being more likely to have gay kids, for example. There are very likely other issues at play. Hormone fluccuations in the uterus, for example.

Please bear in mind, environmental factors do not mean "choice" per se nor does it wave away the apparent influence of genes. We are every bit a product of our environment as we are a product of our genes and things are socially encoded into us in a way that we can't overcome. A person who is terrified of spiders due to a traumatic experience in their youth is no more able to dismiss that fear than a person born with a lisp.
I would be careful with that. Phobias, even severe ones, can be cured. To equate the two is to indicate homosexuality can be cured, despite all evidence to the contrary. Generally speaking, gays don't become gay because of experiential factors.

You should consider homosexuality to be a trait in this regard. Not a choice. I'm actually a little surprised that Christian's don't view it as a natural trait as well. Do Christians not consider a sin nature to be a natural conclusion of the fall? As such, they should see people who deal with being naturally one way or the other to be the same as someone being born blind. I've never understood the insistance that homosexuality cannot be inherent.
Christians do not have a unifying doctrine. Some even debate the nature of Christ Himself. Some believe we're all sinners and some believe that we choose to sin and some believe that something external makes us sin. There's no unified theory on sin. So even if we take the position that homosexuality is a sin (which a good chunk of Christianity does, without any real support), the nature of that sin and what should be done about it varies from Church to Church (not even from sect to sect).

The insistence that homosexuality is genetic largely comes down to the fact that it's okay to discriminate against choice and action, whereas we consider inborn traits to be a rather monstrous thing to discriminate against. It's a relatively new concept.

What you should probably take away from this above all else is that the poster in question thinks he had to choose to be straight. He (or she) is tacitly admitting to like members of the same sex. This is weirdly a position taken by a lot of Christians, that if not for it being a sin they'd be all over hot guy on guy action (or girl on girl, no need to exclude). When homophobic ministers who get caught will say they gave in to temptation, or they slipped up. That means, on some level, they really want those guys.

I don't think this is the normal state for a heterosexual. I mean, I can't talk experientially. I am a "anything that can consent sexual," so that's right out. However, I know tons of straight people who are involved in alliance programs and march with the gays in pride parades and have no problem with people calling them fags or assuming they're gay, and I've never once come across one of them that said "you know what? I really want some (insert same-sex genitals here) right now." At most, a large swathe of heterosexuals seem to be curious.

This mindset of repression, apart from being unhealthy, is something to consider when talking to people. Both because it's an insight into their own interests and because it's very likely instilled by fear itself. Doesn't necessarily mean everyone who says it is gay, but they certainly have a low opinion of their own sexuality. Because if you can choose to be straight, you can just as easily choose to be gay. Somehow, of the people who have insisted to me they choose to be straight, none have been willing to prove it by duding up.

I would even posit from an evolutionary perspective that we are genetically predisposed to make close friendships with other males to help unify communities that may otherwise have been stuck in war. The men who were able to befriend other males easily were made stronger from it. Homosexuality may merely be this otherwise beneficial trait overriding heterosexual attraction in a maladaptive way (maladaptive purely due to hinderance in imposes on passing along genes, not any moral statement here).
Homosexuality may also be nature's way of providing foster care.

That's not forcing acceptance so much as disassociation with the religious institution.

Since non-religious marriage came first, and even the term itself derives from a contractual relationship (not a spiritual or religious one), shouldn't they be the ones distancing themselves from the institution? Since Marriage has repeatedly been defined by the courts as a right, shouldn't they be the ones distancing themselves from the institution?

But most importantly, since change thing name has never stopped complaints and backlash from religious bodies, isn't the concept of changing the name a spurious conception with no depth or practical change? The religious right in this country gets just as butthurt by civil unions and domestic partnerships.

No one loses here, everyone gains. The religious minded can be free of feeling like their religion is under attack/oppressed by the government.
Except that's not true. Have you looked at the claims of religious persecution in this country?

Well, I suppose it's technically true. They CAN, they just WONT.

There is a legitimate fear that the association of the two practices may bleed over in future legislation that may actually make pastors/priests perform the religious ceremony or face significant impunity.
That's not a "legitimate fear." It's paranoia.

Additionally, wedding vendors already legally have to perform services for wedding ceremonies (religious ceremonies) they don't agree with. Several have faced fines and lost law suits for failing to do so on the basis of religious convictions.
To my knowledge, no such case has actually been on the religious end of things. It's been people trying not to perform their CIVIL duties to CIVIL marriage.

For example:

I live in Vermont. We had civil unions, now we have gay marriage. It's perfectly legal here for a church or religious body not to marry people, but not for a Justice of the Peace to do so. And why shouldn't it be that way? If you don't want to perform the job, don't take it. If you take the job, you perform the job as-is. It's the "Amish Bus Driver" principle. a JP is a civil servant doing a government job of officiating civil marriage.

Where's the problem?

So their fears are not entirely unwarranted.
[citation needed]

Seriously. Evidence plz.

Lightknight said:
In the US, until the mid-19th century (civil war/freedom of the slaves), common law marriages were the norm and entirely valid/recognized. Marriage licenses were implemented to prohibit whites "from marrying blacks, mulattos, Japanese, Chinese, Native Americans, Mongolians, Malays or Filipinos". By the 1920's, 38 states were using it for those reasons.
Except that only tells half the story, so it doesn't really properly address anything.

It was used to prevent churches from marrying those people and was entirely race based to begin with.
Kind of illogical, as religious ceremonies were unnecessary. I mean, it doesn't pass the smell test, but who am I to argue with a two paragraph blurb on the site that locked a page insisting the Lakota Sioux had withdrawn from the US even as the Sioux themselves said it was false?

I'm sure you have more than that to back it up, right?

Edit: Hell, if we're using Wikipedia, there's no problem with marriage as-is.

In some countries ? notably the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Norway and Spain ? both ceremonies can be held together; the officiant at the religious and civil ceremony also serving as agent of the state to perform the civil ceremony. To avoid any implication that the state is "recognizing" a religious marriage (which is prohibited in some countries) ? the "civil" ceremony is said to be taking place at the same time as the religious ceremony. Often this involves simply signing a register during the religious ceremony. If the civil element of the religious ceremony is omitted, the marriage ceremony is not recognized as a marriage by government under the law.
As Jacques Clousseau would say, ze problem is sol-ved.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Spearmaster said:
It seems that he has accepted the fact that gay marriage is happening and has conceded his stance against it, basically saying that he had a different viewpoint but the courts have spoken and he wont stand in the way of your rights.
How magnanimous that a man with absolutely no power has decided he's not going to do anything with that power he doesn't have.
So if he has no power why boycott his works? Other than attempting to censor his views.
What he is wondering now is if the pro-gay marriage crowd will take their victory gracefully or will be sore winners. I think it is a valid point but the discussion is about how he is only doing this for monetary gain and how much of a bigot he is so everyone should boycott everything he does and thus prove his point for him...go team!!!
Love that strawman.

However:

He is still a bigot. Simply saying that the courts have spoken doesn't change that. And there's really no reason to support him. He is likely doing this for financial gain. To be honest, I couldn't care less.

He wants to call gays abominations and pedophiles and all sorts of other nasty things and that's fine. I've never tried to stop him, but nor do I have any intent to support him, especially since he only begrudgingly said "okay, the courts have spoken."

If that's proving his point, then he has a really shitty point.
He may be an intolerant bigot and I support your choice to be intolerant and bigoted to his viewpoint, its your right to hold those views just as its his right to hold his. I guess its not enough to get the laws changed, its a war against free thought now.
Let me ask you something. Does the fact that you're defending a man who hates people for a fact of nature by asking about hate not cause some sort of dissonance in your mind?
I'm defending all people who hold their own viewpoints on any issue, yours and his, so no, no dissonance. What I don't understand is the need to drive out anyone who holds an idea that's different from your own from either side rather than trying to talk it out. I don't know his history but was he actively involved in boycotting anything involving homosexuals?
I don't think most of the people boycotting him even hate him. I know I don't. Doesn't mean he's not a bigot. He is. And he hates people for something worse than stating an opinion: he hates them for being made different.
I guess he was made different as well then. Raised in an environment that made him this way to the point he cant help it or even born that way.
If he was railing against black people, would you be so quick to defend his hatred by condemning the hatred of others? I suppose so, as rights are the most abstract thing on the planet and therefore slavery is probably okay, MIRITE?

(edited to correct the use of subjective. I don't know how I switched those words, but I blame my fingers).
A slavery straw man, I like it.
That is the problem with rights, the government gets to decide, people within the government with their own viewpoints deciding what someone different than them has the right to do. Rights can be given to homosexuals to get married or rights can be given to slave owners to own people of color as property, its a double edged sword. Freedom is the answer, everyone should be free to do what they want unless it harms another. Government should not be involved in deciding which freedoms people receive or don't receive.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Spearmaster said:
Comparing one rights issue to another, especially when one is attempting to nullify the value of rights is not a strawman, sorry.

Government should not be involved in deciding which freedoms people receive or don't receive.
See, you're just substituting "rights" with "freedoms." And either way, under your grand philosophy, what WOULD stop me from owning slaves?

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
Lightknight said:
theApoc said:
Indeed it is culturally based. Which is why I believe you cannot legislate its interpretation. There is no legal reason that I can think of why I as an individual should not be able to partner with anyone I choose from a legal standpoint. THAT kind of support and cooperation, regardless of the reasons for such a partnership will always benefit society.
Right, I'd even consider a non-romantic financial union of sorts. If even businesses can do it, why not people? Though this union would be a little stronger than that with all the visitation rights and such.

Ceremonial marriage, while tied to the process of a legal union, does not actually create that union(an actual license is what truly matters, the ceremony is a formality and a religious official ends up being little more than a notarized witness of the bond).
Exactly. As per my example that we had our best man notarize the document, not the minister.

So, the key to this argument IMO is as you said, separating the legal aspect from the ceremony. So fighting for gay-MARRIAGE to me becomes little more than a pointless quest for acceptance, and THAT is where I find fault in the whole idea of "gay rights". Laws are not meant to force acceptance, they are meant to enforce compliance. And while a religious official CAN marry two people, they are not the only conduit for people to get married, thus a church refusing to marry same sex couples is NOT discriminatory and should not be looked at as such.

What people are upset about, regardless of their acceptance, is the idea that they HAVE to agree with someone else's lifestyle. That they have to accept someone else's beliefs above their own. No one gives a crap about who can visit you in the hospital, or file taxes with you.
Yes, this is part of their frustation because it conflicts with their own personal beliefs. Seeing people legislate what appears to be their belief system then becomes a personal battle for them to fight. That perception is unnecessary now that the marriage license no longer legislates the religious institution in the way it was initially intended to.

I am so tired of the whole, being gay is not a choice. WHAT? Of course it is. Being straight is a choice, being a Morman is a choice. Everything we do in life is about choice. We are born blank slates and OUR perception of beauty and companionship develops based on our experiences. Saying someone is born gay is no better than saying they are born with a disease. Being gay is not a disease anymore than being straight is the cure.

Laws are made to NEGATE the need for universal acceptance, something that anyone who has experienced racism post civil rights movement can easily attest to...
I would disagree with your statement of choice. Twin studies have shown a higher prevalence amongst identical twins both being gay if one is. It also showed non-identical twins as being higher than non-twin siblings but lower than identical twins. The result of the study indicates that a combination of genetic and environmental factors contribute to homosexuality. Please bear in mind, environmental factors do not mean "choice" per se nor does it wave away the apparent influence of genes. We are every bit a product of our environment as we are a product of our genes and things are socially encoded into us in a way that we can't overcome. A person who is terrified of spiders due to a traumatic experience in their youth is no more able to dismiss that fear than a person born with a lisp.

But yes, even inherent traits are generally not forced to be accepted by the individual (businesses, yes). Just as organizations like the KKK are allowed to exist via the first amendment, so should people be allowed to be anti-gay. Society in turn is allowed to not accept them for their bigotry. But that is besides the point of my argument. My argument is to side step it entirely just by changing a name. That's not forcing acceptance so much as disassociation with the religious institution. As the license was designed with legislating the religious institution in mind, I don't think this step away from that is unwarranted.

Griffolion said:
My personal thought on the matter is that a state drawing a line in the sand and saying "this is OUR version of marriage, this is how we as a nation defines it, and everyone get's access to it", while probably meeting resistance from religious groups from a perceived "theft of the definition of marriage", would be most beneficial in the long term. Everyone get's the same word, for some it doesn't have to be religious but how it is defined by the state, for others it can take on whatever religious connotation their religion puts on it. But everyone has the same word (which can mean a lot when we subconsciously engage in labelling etc).
As long they persist in using the term, it will be percieved as a component of the religious and ceremonial version. It does not benefit anyone to continue calling it a marriage license and only serves to divide our people along another front. Even people who have nothing against homosexuals stand in defense of their religious tenets. This has got to stop. The marriage license WAS implemented to legislate the religious practice. Think about that. The goal was to prevent pastors and priests from marrying white and black people. Of course, this misuse got struck down but the license remains. If it's going to remain and no longer holds any punch in the religious strata, then it needs to be renamed or people will continue to think it still impacts them.

No one loses here, everyone gains. The religious minded can be free of feeling like their religion is under attack/oppressed by the government. There is a legitimate fear that the association of the two practices may bleed over in future legislation that may actually make pastors/priests perform the religious ceremony or face significant impunity. Additionally, wedding vendors already legally have to perform services for wedding ceremonies (religious ceremonies) they don't agree with. Several have faced fines and lost law suits for failing to do so on the basis of religious convictions. So their fears are not entirely unwarranted. While I don't think changing the name of the license would impact that last one, it gives credence to fears that the entire institution is under attack. This cuts off the two. The homosexual community benefits by getting all the rights they've been fighting for with much less resistance.
Wonderful response, thank you for your insight.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Spearmaster said:
Comparing one rights issue to another, especially when one is attempting to nullify the value of rights is not a strawman, sorry.
If that is what you did no it wouldn't be a strawman, but taking my statement on the abstract nature of rights and thus stating that slavery must be ok in my view is.

Government should not be involved in deciding which freedoms people receive or don't receive.
See, you're just substituting "rights" with "freedoms." And either way, under your grand philosophy, what WOULD stop me from owning slaves?
The whole "harming another" thing which you failed to quote...really?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Spearmaster said:
So if he has no power why boycott his works? Other than attempting to censor his views.
I suppose the thought of not supporting someone, as already indicated, simply to not give money to someone who hates you IS such a far-flung concept it cannot be conceived, even though it's already been mentioned.

He may be an intolerant bigot and I support your choice to be intolerant and bigoted to his viewpoint, its your right to hold those views just as its his right to hold his. I guess its not enough to get the laws changed, its a war against free thought now.
ahh, false equivalence. Gotta love it. He's a bigot because he's allowing prejudice to inform hate. Remember, this is a guy who accuses gays of pegophilia. I have responded solely based on things he's actually done, such as call a large chunk of my friends pedophiles and threaten to destroy any government that supported them.

The fact that I have no problem with him speaking is tolerance in itself. The fact that he still has a problem with me existing is intolerance in itself. Again, I can't muster the pathos to hate everyone who has a viewpoint I disagree with.

I'm defending all people who hold their own viewpoints on any issue, yours and his, so no, no dissonance.
You're defending someone whose "viewpoints" villify another group and demand legislation to their detriment and equating it with not wanting to financially support his donations to anti-gay groups.

What I don't understand is the need to drive out anyone who holds an idea that's different from your own from either side rather than trying to talk it out.
Who's driving him out? Again, that's a strawman argument. He's free to say what he wants and I'm free to buy what I want. If I don't want to support him fiscally, I don't have to. The same is true for the WBC. I support their right to speak, but I will never write them a check. What is so wrong with that? Am I also "driving out" the WBC? They seem to be thriving.

I don't know his history but was he actively involved in boycotting anything involving homosexuals?
Wait, you don't even know what you're talking about here, and you seek to lecture me? Shouldn't the first thing you do be to familiarise yourself with the subject you're talking about?

Card has fiscally supported and is currently on the board of directors for NOM, which actively opposes gay marriage along with civil unions, adoptions, and other gay rights issues. He's still on there last I knew (he is listed as current), which means he's likely not actually trying to "get along" with anyone.

On any level, however, I find the notion of "tolerate me now that my push to make my intolerance law" to be completely fucking absurd and something any sentient being should be ashamed of.

I guess he was made different as well then. Raised in an environment that made him this way to the point he cant help it or even born that way.
More false equivalence. Yay.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
So when his opinion was popular, he advocated [http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700245157/State-job-is-not-to-redefine-marriage.html] "chang[ing] governments, by whatever means is made possible or necessary", and added that if gay marriage were recognized, he would personally "act to destroy [the] government and bring it down". Now that the long arc of history is bending away from him, he suddenly says "I have no quarrel with proponents of gay marriage". I can't help but think of this:

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Spearmaster said:
I suppose the thought of not supporting someone, as already indicated, simply to not give money to someone who hates you IS such a far-flung concept it cannot be conceived, even though it's already been mentioned.

ahh, false equivalence. Gotta love it. He's a bigot because he's allowing prejudice to inform hate. Remember, this is a guy who accuses gays of pegophilia. I have responded solely based on things he's actually done, such as call a large chunk of my friends pedophiles and threaten to destroy any government that supported them.

The fact that I have no problem with him speaking is tolerance in itself. The fact that he still has a problem with me existing is intolerance in itself. Again, I can't muster the pathos to hate everyone who has a viewpoint I disagree with.

I'm defending all people who hold their own viewpoints on any issue, yours and his, so no, no dissonance.
You're defending someone whose "viewpoints" villify another group and demand legislation to their detriment and equating it with not wanting to financially support his donations to anti-gay groups.

What I don't understand is the need to drive out anyone who holds an idea that's different from your own from either side rather than trying to talk it out.
Who's driving him out? Again, that's a strawman argument. He's free to say what he wants and I'm free to buy what I want. If I don't want to support him fiscally, I don't have to. The same is true for the WBC. I support their right to speak, but I will never write them a check. What is so wrong with that? Am I also "driving out" the WBC? They seem to be thriving.

I don't know his history but was he actively involved in boycotting anything involving homosexuals?
Wait, you don't even know what you're talking about here, and you seek to lecture me? Shouldn't the first thing you do be to familiarise yourself with the subject you're talking about?

Card has fiscally supported and is currently on the board of directors for NOM, which actively opposes gay marriage along with civil unions, adoptions, and other gay rights issues. He's still on there last I knew (he is listed as current), which means he's likely not actually trying to "get along" with anyone.

On any level, however, I find the notion of "tolerate me now that my push to make my intolerance law" to be completely fucking absurd and something any sentient being should be ashamed of.

More false equivalence. Yay.
Honestly I don't personalize myself with issues so I don't have the blinding passion that most have on the issue, I was merely curious. Saying I support him is a far far stretch so I don't know where that came from, I don't read his books and I don't care about his movie so I guess the boycott thing for me is moot. Based on what you said you should boycott his works. Ive never said you shouldn't boycott his works. I simply asked why at this point since he lacks any ability to further his agenda and you answered that.

You say false equivalence but on what authority? Perhaps he is a victim of his environment. Perhaps if he was shown tolerance for his actions his bigotry would die off and be replaced with true acceptance rather than whipping him and his friends into another anti-gay shitstorm. My over all question was when is the fighting back and forth going to stop and who is gonna be the bigger man? I guess time will tell.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
It's quite likely there is no genetic link to homosexuality, however. Environmental factors, yes. But there's no documented evidence of homosexuals being more likely to have gay kids, for example. There are very likely other issues at play. Hormone fluccuations in the uterus, for example.
Twin studies are generally more accurate indicators of biological factors than parent-child studies do to a significantly higher possibility of additional influences that are impossible to account for. Particularly when they correlate positively with a result. Negative biological results (studies that result in no discernable correlation) are less valid only because of the potential influence of chromosomal abnormalities (deletions, duplications, inversions of segments of genetic code) that still point to biological factors without necessarily being genetically passed down.

The twin studies on homosexuality are particularly confirming of at least some biological factors contributing due to the difference in results between identical twins and fraternal (non-identical twins that share no more common DNA than non-twin siblings) twins with regard to non-twin siblings which have the lowest occurence. This rules out the womb environment as the only factor though does not dismiss it as a contributing factor. That non-identical twins also display a higher rate of mutual occurance of homosexuality if one is homosexual then indicates one or two things: That there are additional factors in the womb and/or that being the same age relates to going through sexual development around the same time as well as being more likely to share the same food brands and such. That the occurance isn't 100% or even 50% (I believe the last study was around 24% for identical twins) indicates additional environmental factors at play, but that it's higher than the others in identical twins certainly seems to point to environmental conditions.

Wall of text below, spoilered for the sake of everyone's sanity, click to view:
I would be careful with that. Phobias, even severe ones, can be cured. To equate the two is to indicate homosexuality can be cured, despite all evidence to the contrary. Generally speaking, gays don't become gay because of experiential factors.
Phobias are not typically cured. They are managed to the point they are no longer considered phobias. For example, if a person has a phobia of spiders, they can get to the point where they don't run screaming from the room seeking a room to get naked in to search for bites. The person is still afraid of spiders but it is no longer in control of their lives. The Phobia may often times resurface later.

In a similar fashion, these crazy/ridiculous scared straight places can "condition" individuals to mitigate the external demonstration of their homosexuality to alleviate dysphoria over their sexual identity for whatever reasons (the reason usually being ignorance and discrimination, but can be a simple desire to fit in). As such, it is not incredibly uncommon for homosexuals having undergone this conditioning to pretend to be straight, sometimes quite successfully enough to even fool themselves for significant spans of time (usually blowing up in their faces years later but I don't have numbers on the failure rates aside from a generally high one). But it is to my understanding that they are and will always be homosexuals and struggle with the realities of that trait even if they manage to repress them here and there.

So phobias are not an entirely bad example when used generally. Especially not when explaining that they are combined with genetics. The context of my post should also have alleviated any concern that I may think they can be cured or something.

Christians do not have a unifying doctrine. Some even debate the nature of Christ Himself. Some believe we're all sinners and some believe that we choose to sin and some believe that something external makes us sin. There's no unified theory on sin. So even if we take the position that homosexuality is a sin (which a good chunk of Christianity does, without any real support), the nature of that sin and what should be done about it varies from Church to Church (not even from sect to sect).
Two things:

1. While almost any doctrine has some portion of people who don't follow it, there are several tenets of Christianity to which the largest groups adhere. Anything else should then be considered unorthodox in the strict definition of term even if the actual belief isn't considered salvific. For example, most of the doctrine established in the first 5 of the 7 ecumenical councils of the Christian Church are considered orthodox with significant groups disagreeing generally with the 6th and 7th council decisions as the Roman Catholic Church had begun to kick the other four members of the Pentarchy (Jerusalem, Antioch, Constantinople, Alexandria) out of authority, culminating in the great schism of 1053.

Likewise, original or ancestral sin is a basic tenet of Christianity. That the fall of man has resulted in sin and decay in the world. Pretty basic stuff. If there is debate on this, it falls more in the area of soteriology where the argument is moreso whether we are totally depraved (total depravity) or merely just inclined towards sin. There is no overall opponent to original sin itself or its ramifications. At least, it isn't a group that's large enough to throw off my line of reasoning here.

2. Additionally, to your comment that Christians do not have scripture condemning homosexuality. This is unfortunately not the case and it would be erroneous to try to convince them otherwise. We all generally agree that the Hebrew Bible condemns homosexuality directly, just before condemning bestiality. What people generally forget in the Christian Bible/New Testament is Romans 1:27 "And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.".

For some reason people debate over the other verse that lists the effiminate males in a list of types of sinners and pass over that one. But the most successfully vocal proponents of homosexuality being a sin use the above. While I have a lot of positive things to say about Christianity that most anyone would appreciate, the views on homosexuality are not one of them and will continue to be a point of contention on the matter for who knows how many years to come. This verse in particular is a little too direct to dismiss and sidesteps pedastry vs homosexuality in the phrasing (for example, the Greek word, "arrçn" is only male and is the only term for men used in this verse whereas the Greeks did have words and adjectives that could have meant young males if they so wanted).

I used to think, as you do, that they had no support. I have since been proven wrong as you can see. It is an uphill and dishonest battle to try to claim otherwise at this point. The best I can do is point out that Christians are called to love and embrace sinners by showing them all the love their Lord is known for. That it is not their job to force or legislate their religion and beliefs on others. Their scriptures have never supported that and the ugliness of their hate is only harming the imagine of a group that is supposed to be known by their love. And then I flip the table and start a bar fight...

The insistence that homosexuality is genetic largely comes down to the fact that it's okay to discriminate against choice and action, whereas we consider inborn traits to be a rather monstrous thing to discriminate against. It's a relatively new concept.
I agree. But that always brings me to the next point. Even if it were purely choice, why is that anyone else's damn business? As long as Christians debate along these lines they will be routinely tasked because at the end of the day, the argument always comes down to religion/culture and not an intellectually universal truth.

What you should probably take away from this above all else is that the poster in question thinks he had to choose to be straight. He (or she) is tacitly admitting to like members of the same sex. This is weirdly a position taken by a lot of Christians, that if not for it being a sin they'd be all over hot guy on guy action (or girl on girl, no need to exclude). When homophobic ministers who get caught will say they gave in to temptation, or they slipped up. That means, on some level, they really want those guys.

I don't think this is the normal state for a heterosexual. I mean, I can't talk experientially. I am a "anything that can consent sexual," so that's right out. However, I know tons of straight people who are involved in alliance programs and march with the gays in pride parades and have no problem with people calling them fags or assuming they're gay, and I've never once come across one of them that said "you know what? I really want some (insert same-sex genitals here) right now." At most, a large swathe of heterosexuals seem to be curious.

This mindset of repression, apart from being unhealthy, is something to consider when talking to people. Both because it's an insight into their own interests and because it's very likely instilled by fear itself. Doesn't necessarily mean everyone who says it is gay, but they certainly have a low opinion of their own sexuality. Because if you can choose to be straight, you can just as easily choose to be gay. Somehow, of the people who have insisted to me they choose to be straight, none have been willing to prove it by duding up.
Hmm, I've often wondered about this. I am not gay and wouldn't consider myself bisexual either but but I could see viable homosexual relationships as a possibility (e.g. I do not find the idea revolting despite not preferring them and not readily considering them. I simply prefer heterosexual interactions by far as the most desireable relation). I do wonder about the flexibility of sexuality in general. Could I have gone another route that I simply didn't consider because of social conditioning? I don't know. I can certainly believe that others are entirely rigid but I don't know if that's the default position. In my studies of philosophy and religion I have found numerous societies that behave differently regarding the subject.

Homosexuality may also be nature's way of providing foster care.
Due to the nature of the homosexuality's maladaptiveness, I wouldn't expect this to be the case. It almost has to be connected to a beneficial trait to have been successfully passed on for so long and in so many species. It doesn't necessarily have to be connected to the trait I proposed, but it should be connected to something. I only say this because genes that get passed on in significant numbers should be ones that encourage the reproduction of healthy fertile offspring. As such, homosexuality is definitionally maladaptive. I hesitate to use that term because I do not want to imply that homosexuality is inherently bad. It just isn't geared towards the passing on of genes. Two homosexual males protecting one heterosexual child would have given the child a higher liklihood of survival, yes. But it would have done nothing to pass their genes along unless the child shared their DNA.

Since non-religious marriage came first,
I reject the premise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage#Etymology

The word "marriage" derives from Middle English mariage, which first appears in 1250?1300 CE This in turn is derived from Old French marier (to marry) and ultimately Latin marîtâre meaning to provide with a husband or wife and marîtâri meaning to get married. The adjective marît-us -a, -um meaning matrimonial or nuptial could also be used in the masculine form as a noun for "husband" and in the feminine form for "wife."[12] The related word "matrimony" derives from the Old French word matremoine which appears around 1300 CE and ultimately derives from Latin mâtrimônium which combines the two concepts mater meaning "mother" and the suffix -monium signifying "action, state, or condition." "[13]

Marriage varies wildly according to culture. You cannot definitively say what its first form was as it likely dates back to before recorded history. What we do know is that most cultures until relatively recently based their marriage around local religious/pagan ceremonies. Customs and circumstances surrounding it may have been very different just one town over. Governments did not get into the practice of recognizing marriage officially until pretty darn recently. So in any event, marriage as the marriage license of the US presents it, is extremely new. Our marriage license only showing up after the mid-19th century.

Except that's not true. Have you looked at the claims of religious persecution in this country?

Well, I suppose it's technically true. They CAN, they just WONT.
I'm not sure what you meant here. Are gays not presently being persecuted for religious reasons anyways? I didn't say this would cure hate or solve world hunger. Just a specific issue.

That's not a "legitimate fear." It's paranoia.
Explain. Pastors cannot talk about politics from the pulpit or else risk jail time and the loss of the church's status as a not for profit. That's right now in the year 2013 in a country where freedom of religion and free speech are the rule of the land. They are concerned that there may be a day where pastors may be sued for refusing to marry homosexuals. I explain that pastors can currently still reject people on the basis of race and religion, so that shouldn't be a concern but I can at least understand their fear and wouldn't trivialize it so much as assuage it.

To my knowledge, no such case has actually been on the religious end of things. It's been people trying not to perform their CIVIL duties to CIVIL marriage.

For example:

I live in Vermont. We had civil unions, now we have gay marriage. It's perfectly legal here for a church or religious body not to marry people, but not for a Justice of the Peace to do so. And why shouldn't it be that way? If you don't want to perform the job, don't take it. If you take the job, you perform the job as-is. It's the "Amish Bus Driver" principle. a JP is a civil servant doing a government job of officiating civil marriage.
I did not say that ministers were charged. I said vendors such as flower companies or cake makers. I heard one such example of a floral company on NPR last week or the week before. While I fully agree on the similarities between them refusing services based on race or orientation, this is kind of a tricky subject and I'm merely trying to present it from their side. I am not personaly saying that companies should be allowed to refuse service to gays. FAR from it. That's horrifyingly 1960's of us. This is just how thye see it.

Seriously. Evidence plz.
If the government initially used marriage licenses to prevent religious organizations from marrying people of different races, does it not follow that the reverse could also happen? That the license could be used to force people to marry individuals in the same way that governments legislate (correctly) companies to do so? Add that to the belief that the government is already altering the institution of marriage and the fear isn't paranoia. Though it is unlikely.

Lightknight said:
Except that only tells half the story, so it doesn't really properly address anything.
Oh? What half is it missing and how does the latter missing half negate the former?

Kind of illogical, as religious ceremonies were unnecessary. I mean, it doesn't pass the smell test, but who am I to argue with a two paragraph blurb on the site that locked a page insisting the Lakota Sioux had withdrawn from the US even as the Sioux themselves said it was false?

I'm sure you have more than that to back it up, right?

Edit: Hell, if we're using Wikipedia, there's no problem with marriage as-is.
First off, I have presented evidence of how the license was established and you have not. Wikipedia is merely the most convenient encyclopedia to use. I recommend you present evidence to the contrary. Also, you can view the history of the the way anti-miscegenation laws played into and even criminalized the act of interracial marriage.

Secondly, I defy you to find another source that isn't Jesush8sgays1232.com or some such nonsense. In the wake of the overturning of DOMA all the nutjobs have come out of the woodwork. I simply don't have the time to wade through all of this mess while at work. However I've known about this information for some time and thought it was common knowledge. I am quite confident in this information as well as the basic timeline. Commonlaw marriages were common up until around the Civil War and marriage licenses began to be enforced especially regarding interracial marriages. This is a sad but true history. I'm not sure why wouldn't have heard about it.

In some countries ? notably the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Norway and Spain ? both ceremonies can be held together; the officiant at the religious and civil ceremony also serving as agent of the state to perform the civil ceremony. To avoid any implication that the state is "recognizing" a religious marriage (which is prohibited in some countries) ? the "civil" ceremony is said to be taking place at the same time as the religious ceremony. Often this involves simply signing a register during the religious ceremony. If the civil element of the religious ceremony is omitted, the marriage ceremony is not recognized as a marriage by government under the law.
As Jacques Clousseau would say, ze problem is sol-ved.
[/quote] It doesn't prevent people from believing what they think. Again, my problem is not that marriage licenses are religious. They aren't. It's that people who don't know any better think they are directly related to marriage as their faith practices it. Because marriage license WERE related to them to begin with and made it illegal to marry certain individuals (a felony). You aren't solving anything as long as individuals honestly believe that their religious practice is under attack. You've got to understand that the masses are dumb and liable to mob mentalities in the extremist of forms. You've got to make things easier for them to understand because very few people are going to give this dedicated thought and research that you and I appear to have. So stop quoting people and pretending like this is what everyone knows. Individuals may understand this, but the groups as a whole do not.