Enders Game studio releases statement on Orson Scott Card's views

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=106422

As proud longtime supporters of the LGBT community, champions of films ranging from GODS AND MONSTERS to THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER and a Company that is proud to have recognized same-sex unions and domestic partnerships within its employee benefits policies for many years, we obviously do not agree with the personal views of Orson Scott Card and those of the National Organization for Marriage. However, they are completely irrelevant to a discussion of ENDER�S GAME. The simple fact is that neither the underlying book nor the film itself reflect these views in any way, shape or form. On the contrary, the film not only transports viewers to an entertaining and action-filled world, but it does so with positive and inspiring characters who ultimately deliver an ennobling and life-affirming message. Lionsgate will continue its longstanding commitment to the LGBT community by exploring new ways we can support LGBT causes and, as part of this ongoing process, will host a benefit premiere for ENDER�S GAME.
Sounds like they want to separate themselves from Orson as far as possible but still want people to go see the film. Not bad but I just hope no money for the film will go to Orson himself.

Henrik Knudsen

Apr 15, 2013
Ehhh what is the fuzz?

Guessing Orson said something terrible terrible about gays and now the LGBT community is whining again, wanting people to boycott the movie?

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Seeing the film puts money in Card's wallet (I mean come on, he'd be stupid to not ask for some kind of compensation), which he will then spend on the NOM.

I'm not too fussed myself as I'm apathetic on the whole gay marriage thing, but I think that's the main reason why people don't want to support Card.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm surprised that this is actually generating a response.

Has there been more of a fuss made than I was aware of?

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Henrik Knudsen said:
Ehhh what is the fuzz?

Guessing Orson said something terrible terrible about gays and now the LGBT community is whining again, wanting people to boycott the movie?
And has been a Board-level member of the National Organization for Marriage, which has actively campaigned against Same Sex Marriage.

It's a wee bit more than just saying "Teh gayz r bad."

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Zhukov said:

Orson Scott Card donates large amounts of money to "Traditional Marriage" organizations and does a lot of work with them.

The argument is, putting money towards things which he will receive royalties on gives him money and thus, indirectly, supports these traditional marriage organizations.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
AC10 said:
Zhukov said:

Orson Scott Card donates large amounts of money to "Traditional Marriage" organizations and does a lot of work with them.

The argument is, putting money towards things which he will receive royalties on gives him money and thus, indirectly, supports these traditional marriage organizations.
Yeah, I know what it's about.

I mean I'm surprised that the fuss has been enough to prompt a response both from the studio and Mr Card.

I would have assumed that they would ignore it, safe in the knowledge that a few people on the internet refusing to buy tickets wouldn't hurt their bottom line.

Then again, I haven't been actively following this. Maybe it made it into the mainstream media without me noticing.

Henrik Knudsen

Apr 15, 2013
Tono Makt said:
Henrik Knudsen said:
Ehhh what is the fuzz?

And has been a Board-level member of the National Organization for Marriage, which has actively campaigned against Same Sex Marriage.

Oh I see, and now the movie will bad and I shouldn't see it because I might hurt someones feelings?

Guess I will go see it, I'm not too fond of the LGBT community anyway.

I mean, everyone has their civil rights to love whomever they want or dress anyway they feel like. I really couldn't care less, I'm just tired of constantly being bombarded with "Gays in Russia gets beaten by police, sign petition" or the endless pride parades.

Wonder what would happen if I tried to arrange a straight parade... "Homophobe!" I bet would be yelled a lot.

Worst thing is that several gays I know feel exactly the same.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Orson Scott said:
Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.
Date - Thursday, July 24 2008

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700245157/State-job-is-not-to-redefine-marriage.html?pg=all

So, yah. Some pretty looney shit.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Zhukov said:
AC10 said:
Zhukov said:

Yeah, I know what it's about.

I mean I'm surprised that the fuss has been enough to prompt a response both from the studio and Mr Card.

I would have assumed that they would ignore it, safe in the knowledge that a few people on the internet refusing to buy tickets wouldn't hurt their bottom line.

Then again, I haven't been actively following this. Maybe it made it into the mainstream media without me noticing.
oh, derp; sorry! I totally misread that!
Maybe the studio was hoping for spom good press. For instance, I now know there is an ender's game movie!

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
They really just shouldn't bring it up. The more they keep reminding people of his views, the more people they risk pushing away. Think of it this way: Someone might be willing to make a point of not seeing the movie if they disagree with Card's views, but I doubt anyone would decide to see the movie just because they happen to agree with him.

Honestly, they should know that the main reason that people don't want to give Card their money isn't because of his views, but because of the money he donates to "traditional marriage" organizations. Whatever the studio believes, it won't change the fact that if Card makes money from this movie, some of that money is likely to go to NOM, or some similar organization.

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
Orson Scott Card is kinda a religious nutter... like any religious nutter, and its his later books that really show it... Ender's Game is a fucking brilliant book that was saddly written by a crazy man who got a brand spanking new soap box after its success... anyone who loves the book should already know this and completely ignore the man but love the book in my opinion... the book is bloody fantastic, i'm really praying they don't fuck up the movie *crosses fingers and knocks on wood*

i suppose they released this deally because previously mentioned nutter and his religious affiliation most likely have big issue with the LGBT community for... well, EXISTING, period... and are being all PC *sigh* that we have to live in such a society... but even if there are hints of some crazy anti-gay thing in the book (i don't remember any specifically really, oh well excuse to reread!! :D) but i wouldn't be surprised if he was openly against gays and thus the studio doing this silly nonsense...

Lionsgate: WE SUPPORT GAYS!! YAY!!
Me: that's nice... don't care, just don't fuck up this movie -.-

Harrison Ford is in it!! it can't be bad!! :D *makes offerings to movie gods*

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Henrik Knudsen said:
Tono Makt said:
Henrik Knudsen said:
Ehhh what is the fuzz?

Oh I see, and now the movie will bad and I shouldn't see it because I might hurt someones feelings?

I mean, everyone has their civil rights to love whomever they want or dress anyway they feel like. I really couldn't care less, I'm just tired of constantly being bombarded with "Gays in Russia gets beaten by police, sign petition" or the endless pride parades.

Wonder what would happen if I tried to arrange a straight parade... "Homophobe!" I bet would be yelled a lot.

I want you to try something. Replace the word 'gays' with 'blacks' in your post and see how offensive just about everything you've just said was.

No one gives two shits if you want to go see the film, people just want to be clear that the man who wrote the story is actively involved in attempting to suppress the rights of people for no reason other than he doesn't believe they should have them.

And that's the entire god damn point: everyone does not have the right to love whomever they want; not without fear of repercussions, anyway. Gay people are still ostracised, even murdered, in many parts of the world just for being gay, and you want us all to be okay with that just because you're tired of having your attention drawn to hate crimes (that must be so hard for you) or being forced to watch a group of people express that they're proud to be who they are in spite of more insidious members of society who would see them go under sexuality re-assignment or just flat-out have them killed?

If you want to live your life in complete and utter ignorance, then go ahead, you have every right to, but don't for one fucking second pretend that gay rights are just a case of a couple of people whining that they can't get married in a church.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Guys... if you refused to support movies of all people with disquieting convictions, you probably wouldn't be able to watch movies at all.

Regardless of what insanity he spouts, he deserves to be paid entirely because he wrote an excellent book that's being made into a movie.

And before you ask, yes, if Fred Phelps wrote a fantastic fantasy novel with no subjects related to "GOD HATES FAGS", I would buy that.

EDIT: Before Godwin gets his ass in here, please note that Fred Phelps and Orson Scott Card have not actually hurt anyone.

AJvsRonin

Nov 11, 2010
rob_simple said:
Henrik Knudsen said:
Tono Makt said:
Henrik Knudsen said:
Ehhh what is the fuzz?

I want you to try something. Replace the word 'gays' with 'blacks' in your post and see how offensive just about everything you've just said was.

No one gives two shits if you want to go see the film, people just want to be clear that the man who wrote the story is actively involved in attempting to suppress the rights of people for no reason other than he doesn't believe they should have them.

And that's the entire god damn point: everyone does not have the right to love whomever they want; not without fear of repercussions, anyway. Gay people are still ostracised, even murdered, in many parts of the world just for being gay, and you want us all to be okay with that just because you're tired of having your attention drawn to hate crimes (that must be so hard for you) or being forced to watch a group of people express that they're proud to be who they are in spite of more insidious members of society who would see them go under sexuality re-assignment or just flat-out have them killed?

If you want to live your life in complete and utter ignorance, then go ahead, you have every right to, but don't for one fucking second pretend that gay rights are just a case of a couple of people whining that they can't get married in a church.
Exactly Rob.
This "Teh gays are all up in our faces about it" bullshit really pisses me off. No they are not up in your faces about it. Bear in mind that it wasn't that long ago that it was actually illegal to be gay in some western countries (Australia legalised Homosexual acts in 1994, New Zealand 1986 and in the US wasn't legal nation wide until 2003 for fucks sake!), combine this with the fact that during these times it was actually legal to discriminate against homosexuals (fire them from jobs etc) forcing them to hide their identities, I'm sure many of those people would fucking love to have a parade, to be able to be themselves openly with open minded people.

And what endless pride parade? I have no idea what you're talking about. Provide evidence of this endless parade, does it just go in circles or does it move from city to city?

And I call bullshit on your "gay friends".

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
rob_simple said:
Henrik Knudsen said:
Tono Makt said:
Henrik Knudsen said:
Ehhh what is the fuzz?

Dude, that was fucking awesome. Can I steal this? Like the whole thing, I know some people who would benefit from a well constructed smack down like that. Good on you.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Lionsgate will continue its longstanding commitment to the LGBT community...
If they are so pro-equality why would they collaborate with someone who is against it to begin with? Is there any evidence they gave a single fuck about gay rights before their pockets were threatened? They're either liars or hypocrites, and I'm not too keen to financially support either, let alone a nutjob like Card.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Azure23 said:
rob_simple said:
Henrik Knudsen said:
Tono Makt said:
Henrik Knudsen said:
Ehhh what is the fuzz?

Dude, that was fucking awesome. Can I steal this? Like the whole thing, I know some people who would benefit from a well constructed smack down like that. Good on you.
You are more than welcome to repost it wherever you like. To be honest, I was worried that my post might be met with some derision, but I'm glad to see that not everyone is as misguided as the guy I was quoting.

AJvsRonin said:
And what endless pride parade? I have no idea what you're talking about. Provide evidence of this endless parade, does it just go in circles or does it move from city to city?
That made me laugh a lot, and I totally agree with you. I've never even seen a gay pride parade, despite living in a massive city, so I don't know where this guy is living that he is endlessly swarmed by them.

Maybe he thinks that this train of fabulous moves from city to city attracting more gay people like a conga line, until eventually they're going to become Legion and march on the lawn of the white house to take over the country. At least that's the only situation I can hypothesise wherein someone could have a problem with gay pride parades.