Endings That Made You Depressed

Manoose47

Dec 8, 2010
Last episode of M.A.S.H, not a dry eye in the house, or even the episode where

colonel Henry blake flies home and then a while later t O.R. is interupted to inform everyone his planes been shot down

ah... i am sadness

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
scaler, a PS2 game. it wasn't very good, but I like atmosphere, as it feels ditinctly alien.

but the ending: lizard boy gets sent home and turned back into a human.

the dad who was trapped in the other world ultimately fails to escape, and the last thing you see before the ending is his the kid going "dad..." while looking at blank wall, knowing he will never see his dad again.

you know, for kids.

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
Clannad: After Story.

At one point Nagisa and Tomoya get married and Nagisa getting knocked up soon follows. I would mourn the lack of fan service but really i found Nagisa to be the least attractive female character in the series.
Anyway, they naturally revisit the plot detail about Nagisa having very poor health, so some doubt is cast as to whether or not she would survive labor. Tomoya convinces Nagisa to go to a hospital instead of trying to give birth at home, but before the baby comes a blizzard arrives and the ambulance never shows up. Nagisa successfully delivers the baby but then croaks.
Then, as if Key was making a conscious nod to the George Carlin joke about a more accurate alcohol health warning label that reads "Will turn you into the same asshole your father was," Tomoya spends the next five years working a dead end job, drinking, smoking, and possibly forgetting his daughter existed. Truth be told i didn't know that a time leap had taken place so when you first see Ushio running around i thought "Oh shit don't tell me Fuko is back..."

Now you get some assorted shit where Tomoya mans up and takes care of the daughter he neglected for five years, forgives his loser father, and makes amends with his in-laws who raised Ushio while Tomoya was spending some quality time with Jack Daniels and the Marlboro Man. Then while things seem to be getting cheery, Ushio walks in, announces that she's constipated, and collapses. At this point i turn to my girlfriend and ask "So wait, five years pass and none of these morons think to have Ushio checked for the same wasting illness that killed her mother?"
To which she replies "If you have time to *****, you have time to make more popcorn. I told you that you wouldn't like the After Story."
To which my dog replied by howling at the ending theme music.

Ushio becomes progressively more ill, and at the point where you think some big miracle is going to happen as Tomoya takes Ushio outside because she couldn't stand staying inside for another moment, she slips into a coma and dies in her fathers arms before they make it to the train station and Tomoya, cradling the corpse of his dead daughter, falls into the snow and likely dies himself.

Before you shout "HOLY SHIT THAT IS DARK," at that point something trippy happens related to the weird little world the series kept visiting consisting of one girl and a trash robot in a post-apocalyptic paradise entering winter where the girl, ALSO DYING, tells her trash robot to gather the orbs of light. At that point, you get an animated "As my life flashes before my eyes and i see all of my deep regrets" scene, then Tomoya wakes up at the point where Nagisa gives birth, only this time she survives and they live happily ever after, Tomoya apparently just having a debilitating nightmare that lasted for half a fucking decade where the only reasons he clung to life died in a futile effort to live one last dream as their own bodies decided "Fuck this shit" and gave out. What i found more depressing was the 180 they pulled which had a fairy tail ending. I would have accepted that the miracle would be that Ushio would be saved, i would have accepted that it became canon for Tomoya to never date Nagisa and instead develop a gay relationship with Sunohara, i would have accepted Tomoya brainwashing Sunohara's sister into being his sex slave, but suddenly the last five years never happened and every bit of realism is hit with a hydrogen bomb?
That depressed me. This might sound psychotic, but i preferred the ending where Ushio and Tomoya died in the snow alone. It was a break away from the bullshit fairy tail endings and it made you feel some form of emotion other than burning hatred or murderous glee. Then it retcons everything and makes things all happy and cheerful and retarded. That shit is more likely to put me on MAOIs than some anonymous little girl and her father slipping into the eternal void of death.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Metal Gear Solid 3 gets top billing here, but I was also angry as hell during it

Having to go through the ceremony while being told the truth about why you were to kill the Boss and learning the very people responsible are the ones next to you... well, it was hard to see Snake just walk away

MGS4 also had a particularly sad feeling throughout the entire finale of it, even a lot of side characters got some good endings.

Tales of the Abyss

In it, you beat the villain, who is strangely one of the most sympathetic I've seen in a long time despite reaching high levels of dickishness throughout the story. He wants the same thing you do in the end (freeing the world from mindlessly following a set of predictions that might just turn out to lead to an apocalypse), and his hatred towards his enemies is more than justifiable (especially since they were the ones who sacrificed countless for the greater good).
However, his sister and one of his students (along with a coworker, a friend, the daughter of an ally, and someone he share a mutual respect with) are the ones to kill him after going through already emotionally tough battles with his trusted associates. In the end, one of the two students of his ends up dead, and the ending is apparently ambiguous enough not to tell us which (I always considered it the one who got the touching death scene if only to keep that sacred and since the other one didn't seem to die).

Xenosaga 3, for both the ending and that the series was canceled.

Halo Reach

It wasn't until the cutscene kicked in that I discovered 6 was a character rather than just an avatar, though it's more fair to say he (this is my 6, so it's a he) was built off my avatar. I suddenly found all his actions to be more than just an invisible hand guiding him, but rather human actions, especially his ending. He had no one left in his "family," humanity was done for, Reach was dead, help wasn't coming, and he still had ammo. At first, he ran a bit to find someplace to hide, but then he realized there was no point. He was doomed already, so he might as well go out with a few bastards as well.
When the cutscene started, it was just like the microwave tunnel of MGS4, only now my cheering him on didn't help, and he couldn't even hear it. Before the final blow, the credits roll, which makes me think up excuses and wait for some sort of reassurance that it was all just a fake out, only for a voice over to crush that with reassurances that it will be fine, but it all just sinks in that my Spartan, the one whose actions I formed and who I kept alive all throughout the game, is now dead. It's pretty heavy for an ending

and while not a full game, the ending the first time you're on Vedan (the mining/mafia planet) in Rogue Galaxy definitely is up there.

You fail to accomplish your goal, which isn't so bad, but you're soon hit by a lot of emotional punches, only for Gale and the laughing mook to top all of them, which I really can't accurately describe as it takes the whole chapter to properly make it work. It comes out of no where, especially since two previous scenes seemed almost set up to prevent it in terms of tropes. Both of the characters' lines are just heart-wrenching, and the whole scene has some of the saddest music in the game playing.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
I know I might get some weird looks for this but the first movie that ever made me cry and get really depressed was... Terminator 2.

The87Italians

Jun 17, 2009
The end of Schindler's List, where

they have the actual holocaust survivors putting stones on Schindler's grave with their respective actors, and then Liam Neeson puts a single rose on his grave (although you can't see his face).

That whole scene was touching, but at the same time made me feel utterly depressed.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
The Movie version of the Play "The Crucible". I almost started crying had it not been for a kid near by saying the fallowing joke:

Triple Kill!
Poor Daniel Day Lewis. Wynona Ryder can get eaten by a facehugger after that. AND SHE GETS AWAY.

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
Friends and 6teen.

Man those shows were awesome.

Games wise; Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain (bad endings).

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Tdc2182 said:
BreakfastMan said:
The ending to "The Mist" (film, not story). It was the most stupidly depressing ending to a film that I have ever seen.
Just a matter of time before someone said this.

I agree
Damn, it SHOULD have worked. Come to think of it, that whole film should have worked. The crazy religious lady was just so over-the-top, and the reactions to her so unrealistic, it pretty much spoilt everything for me.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Varanfan9 said:
I know I might get some weird looks for this but the first movie that ever made me cry and get really depressed was... Terminator 2.
You're right, you do get some weird looks. That's really... random. I mean, I thought it was a real downer that Edward Furlong survived as well, but I didn't get depressed about it!

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
The final scene of Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha. And the last episode of the mini-series ANZACS

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Bioshock 2's ending, for me. All of them. Well, okay, the more positive ones at least. The evil ones made me go "oh, crap..."

Mr.Incognitus

Dec 7, 2010
The ending of the episode of Spongebob in which they were going to say what the formula was, but it cut off for credits before it could

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
Klanoa. I couldn't take it.
Also:

The Green Mile
Dead Poets Society. Bittersweet ending really
One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest
Brazil

Out of curiosity, has anyone actually ever WANTED to see an unhappy ending? As if the entire story was kinda leading up to it but didn't?
I always thought WALL.E should've ended sadly.

dakaptin

Oct 31, 2010
Ace Combat 5, when...

Chopper kills himself to save civilians. Really depressing, and absolutely infuriating.

Also, Shadow of the Colossus, where...

Agro falls off the bridge before the 16th colossus. Sure, he survived the fall, but at the time I was really depressed. Determined, but depressed.

In movies, two scenes in The Last Samurai.

When Nobutada gets shot springing Katsumoto from jail, then dies in a kamikaze charge. And when Katsumoto finally dies. "Perfect... They are all...perfect..." GOD.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Dexter's fourth season.

Brazil.

The OMG YOU FAILED AT EVERYTHING ending of ME:2.

Blackadder Goes Forth.

I cry at everything so whatever.