England Falters: Wartime Resistance RP

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009

England Falters: Wartime Resistance RP

To celebrate this Christmas, I've decided to bring back an old RP due to popular (no, really) demand. So, in all it's rebooted glory as well as a slight name change, SamuelT and myself are proud to bring you: England Falters, a near-present time story of how the worlds grab for oil cost people a lot more than just money.

Opening plot:

In the not too distant future, the world is in a frenzied panic. Oil has near depleted, and all that remains is what small reserves each country retains. The world has learned to cope, effectively receding backwards by twenty years. Electricity in many countries is mainly the same due in part to wind-farms and eco-friendly energy resources, but some countries have failed to keep up.

America is no longer the great power it used to be because of its failure to adept to the current change in how the so-called "New World" works. After its people began to cry out, America's government had only one choice; they had to find oil. And quickly. So, its government ordered several attacks on neutral countries, giving ridiculous reasons of conspiracy and secrecy for each, outside of EU jurisdiction with one goal: seizing their oil.

Unable to act, the EU could only sit back and watch. In the months that followed, the American government found that many of the "lesser" countries outside of Europe and Asia were unable to meet their quota for oil. After talks of trade failed, America resorted to warfare. Spain was first to go, along with the German resistance who helped do their best to defend them. Second was Italy, left defenseless by the loss of its bordering ally with EU too afraid to act.

When America finally invaded France, they were met with a mixture of British forces who had agreed to defend France at the border. The soldiers fought off the American troops for as long as possible to allow civilians to flee, but failed to hold their ground. France was quickly overrun, and the forces of the UK were left in tatters. Kicked out of Britain by the majority vote from the "New UK", formed by a combined treaty between Scotland, Wales and the entirety of Ireland, England has been left to defend itself against the impossible foe that is America. As if the outlook wasn't bleak enough, talks of England's part in the "Great Oil Seize of "2011" have discouraged former European allies from helping evacuate the once proud country.

Now all that's left to be done is to get the people out alive and throw one hell of a send off party, because the troops in our tale aren't part of any government or tied to just one country. You are all that's left of Europe's pride. You are what little resistance remains and what small amount of hope glimmers. You are the European Civilian Army, formed in the strongholds of London. It is your job to help the English forces save their people, regardless of the sacrifice. And the pay sucks, too.

Notes:

Players will take on the roles of civilians living in England at the start of the RP, joining the newly founded European Civilian Army under the guidance of our myself and my Co-GM's characters.

Although players are citizens of England, this does not mean your character has to be English. It also means that even although England is no longer a part of the UK and nobody in the EU is willing to help, your players can be whatever nationality you want. Including American.

It may not seem it, but this RP is in no way bashing America. The premise of the RP was simply formed under the fact that myself and my co-GM Samuel could not think of many instances where America had been the villain in any well-known media. We also thought the premise kicked ass.

Rules:

Although Samuel and myself will not exactly enforce this rule, we would prefer it if such things as backgrounds of your characters and stories within the storyline are not shoe-horned in. We want this RP to be at least slightly realistic.

Also, we don't want players to be overpowered in any way. At all. Remember, you are normal, every day civilians in England before you join the resistance. However, if your character has a reason for being a sure-shot with a rifle, such as previously being discharged from the army, we don't mind if they're skilled with a gun. Just not too skilled.

Current Characters:

Name: Emerson Hughes

Nationality: English

Name: Robin Quinn

Nationality: Irish

Name: Sander Heifen

Name: Nadia Jarrah

Nationality: Israeli

Name: Michael Vallon

Nationality: Irish

Name: Johann Riegler

Nationality: Austrian

<spoiler=Captain Pirate>Name: Mick Kenneth

Name: Annabell (Ana) Kelly

Nationality: English, born in Ireland

Name: Chris Ayanbadejo

Nationality: Nigerian

Name: Christoph Amsel

Nationality: German

Name: J'aime Babsi Garrett

Nationality: Australian

Name: Luke Kimmel

Nationality: American

Name: Gar Johannson

Nationality: Icelandic

Name: Katrina (May) Church

Name: Rufus Von Bernkastel

Nationality: German/Deutsch

Name: Astrid Collins

Nationality: Welsh

Name: Thomas Wright

Nationality: Canadian

[/spoiler]​

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
Sounds interesting. Might I get a sheet template? Or are the examples all the info needed?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
SteakHeart said:
Sounds interesting. Might I get a sheet template? Or are the examples all the info needed?
Yup, that's all the info needed. It's intentionally short on description, I want the characters to be a bit more pro-active with setting up a background. Make little comments about things that happened previously in your life, hint toward a darker personality or a previous life of crime... you know, go crazy.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Sparrow said:
SteakHeart said:
Yup, that's all the info needed. It's intentionally short on description, I want the characters to be a bit more pro-active with setting up a background. Make little comments about things that happened previously in your life, hint toward a darker personality or a previous life of crime... you know, go crazy.
Though trench coating is heavily frowned upon.

socialtangent

May 23, 2009
So, if I'm reading correctly, we don't necessarily have to put in our character's life story in the sheet?

In any case, I'm interested and making a sheet right now.

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
Welp, time to even up the gender count.
Name: Nadia Jarrah

Nationality: Israeli

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Need some more damn females in this RP

Name: Annabell (Ana) Kelly

Nationality: English but born in Ireland (if that doesn't work let me know)

iThinkCat

Oct 15, 2010
Here's what I got if you got space.

Name: J'aime Babsi Garrett

Nationality: Australian

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
Oh, and by the way, if anyone can catch the reference in my character's name, you win the Interwebs.

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
Name: Luke Kimmel

Nationality: American

I always liked the idea of America as the villain. This should add interesting character development.

Jav3lin

Jan 18, 2009
Hello guys.
*Slowly enters room with head bowed in shame*
I know I stepped out of the site for a bit, but it was due to inactivity and now the site's pretty much up and blooming again.
Figure I can take a shot at this RP, it looks really great and I've been in alot of RP's with most of you so, looking forward to reading this even if I'm not accepted. Love the new faces too btw ^^.

Here goes! :)

Name: Gar Johannson.

Nationality: Icelandic.

I'm wondering about what type of engineering technology is out. Are there any new sort of weapons, armored vehicles or aircrafts that America might be using? And what about types of defenses? Is it just standard modern stuff like the AA guns and the Carbine assault rifles, or is there something new out? :)

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
Oh why not?

Name: Chris Ayanbadejo

Nationality: Nigerian

blaze96

Apr 9, 2008
I'll give this a shot, premise seems interesting enough.

Name: Hui Cai

Nationality: Chinese

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Jav3lin said:
[...]

I'm wondering about what type of engineering technology is out. Are there any new sort of weapons, armored vehicles or aircrafts that America might be using? And what about types of defenses? Is it just standard modern stuff like the AA guns and the Carbine assault rifles, or is there something new out? :)
The thing is; the lack of oil (Crude or otherwise) makes it so that most aircrafts and tanks lack fuel. Being the conquerer that it is, America managed to get its hands on a small supply of the stuff, so they'll have the occasional moving vehicle, but England, being cut off by the rest of the UK and a conquered Europe coastline, has little to no fuel anymore. They use the 'One Soldier, One Gun, Five Bullets' method.

This also has consequences for the amount of electricity the ECA has, because most of it comes from low-output Solar-and wind farms. This leads to a shortage of power for some parts of the country.

iThinkCat

Oct 15, 2010
SamuelT said:
Jav3lin said:
The thing is; the lack of oil (Crude or otherwise) makes it so that most aircrafts and tanks lack fuel. Being the conquerer that it is, America managed to get its hands on a small supply of the stuff, so they'll have the occasional moving vehicle, but England, being cut off by the rest of the UK and a conquered Europe coastline, has little to no fuel anymore. They use the 'One Soldier, One Gun, Five Bullets' method.

This also has consequences for the amount of electricity the ECA has, because most of it comes from low-output Solar-and wind farms. This leads to a shortage of power for some parts of the country.
I'll have you know the Russians have tanks that can run off of Vodka, no joke. They may be the old T-34s they still have from WWII for who knows why, but I guess in the premise of this RP it was a good strategy on their part. To be fair it was one of the greatest tanks of its time, and I guess a good WWII tank is better than no tank.

In Soviet Russia tank drinks too!