ENN: Rejected Premieres for Publisher's Club Members

Apr 28, 2008
Deofuta said:
Irridium said:
Deofuta said:
Yarg, stop making want to give up more money I do(nt) have!

<3 you guys!

Too much funny indeed.

EDIT: Also, anyone in The Club want to give us a little rundown on it? Good/Not good and all that?
Eh, its fine. Not much changes. You get to view video's in HQ, which I don't really care for. You get your own title, which while fun, isn't too big. You also get access to a special forum that is basically like the Off-Topic only smaller and without all the "what is your favorite/least favorite/ect." threads.

Personally, I didn't join for any of that. I joined because I love this site, and am glad to support it any way I can.
Well, I actually meant this video series in particular, but thanks for the rundown!
Oh...

Well for video series, nothing changes except for the HQ video stuff I was talking about. There's the outakes, but you can also see those on the LRR site, as others have stated.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Irridium said:
Demon ID said:
Trivun said:
This isn't exactly an incentive to join, since the LRR team already put the rejected jokes on their own website every week as an extra. So it's not 'exclusive' content at all.

Sorry, but though I love the site, this isn't going to entice me to join the Publisher's Club. First, I still can't afford to join, and second, it still smacks of elitism to me. Which is the main beef I had with the whole scheme in the first place, and the reason why several former well-known and well-respected 'veteran' members left the site for good. I can see why you have the club now, but I still don't agree with it, personally.
To an extent I get your point but with more extra things like this and less bad shows (heres looking at you gamedogs and I hit it with my axe) I would likely join up. But I do get your point about elitism, but that can't be helped with an In and Out group situation.

I do have a Publishers Club related question though, what happens to paying members who are dicks, do they get more of a chance as they are paying? Or do they get banned like anyone else, even though they gave money to you to be part of the site? It's just a general question of interest.
No, they get punished like everyone else. And if I see anyone trying to use the pubclub to try and make it seem like their point matters over anyone else, I, and I'm sure many others, will come down on him/her like a divine wind and verbally destroy him/her.
Wonderful. It just occured to me a little while ago that perhaps the fact they did pay might give them a little more immunity, as banning someone who has given you money to be part of something might get a little problematic.

How is being in a pubclub, as from an outsider perspective I don't quite get whats going for it? Perhaps thats because I now really just use the forums rather than the sites content anymore.

Apr 28, 2008
Demon ID said:
Irridium said:
Demon ID said:
Trivun said:
This isn't exactly an incentive to join, since the LRR team already put the rejected jokes on their own website every week as an extra. So it's not 'exclusive' content at all.

Sorry, but though I love the site, this isn't going to entice me to join the Publisher's Club. First, I still can't afford to join, and second, it still smacks of elitism to me. Which is the main beef I had with the whole scheme in the first place, and the reason why several former well-known and well-respected 'veteran' members left the site for good. I can see why you have the club now, but I still don't agree with it, personally.
To an extent I get your point but with more extra things like this and less bad shows (heres looking at you gamedogs and I hit it with my axe) I would likely join up. But I do get your point about elitism, but that can't be helped with an In and Out group situation.

I do have a Publishers Club related question though, what happens to paying members who are dicks, do they get more of a chance as they are paying? Or do they get banned like anyone else, even though they gave money to you to be part of the site? It's just a general question of interest.
No, they get punished like everyone else. And if I see anyone trying to use the pubclub to try and make it seem like their point matters over anyone else, I, and I'm sure many others, will come down on him/her like a divine wind and verbally destroy him/her.
Wonderful. It just occured to me a little while ago that perhaps the fact they did pay might give them a little more immunity, as banning someone who has given you money to be part of something might get a little problematic.

How is being in a pubclub, as from an outsider perspective I don't quite get whats going for it? Perhaps thats because I now really just use the forums rather than the sites content anymore.
Eh, its fine. Not much changes. You get to view video's in HQ, which I don't really care for. You get your own title, which while fun, isn't too big. You also get access to a special forum that is basically like the Off-Topic only smaller and without all the "what is your favorite/least favorite/ect." threads.

Personally, I didn't join for any of that. I joined because I love this site, and am glad to support it any way I can.

For you I guess the big thing would be the special forum, which as I said is basically the Off-Topic forum only smaller and without all the "what is your favorite/least favorite and whatnot" threads.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Furburt said:
John Funk said:
Er, for the same reason we announce anything else in the Pub Club? Because not everyone scans every inch of the site to find out what might have popped up and we'd like to give them a heads up?
That's fair enough, but you do know that the Pubclub is an extremely contentious issue, don't you?

I mean, even generally laid back old PRIATE had a flame war about it, that resulted in one of our oldest members leaving this site permanently.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be announced...Okay, well maybe I am. I dunno. I just think that you really have to be tactful with this, it could lead to a lot of hassle that you'd have to deal with.

I'm not sure what an amicable solution would be, but in the words of Han Solo "I got a bad feeling about this".
I do have to admit, the staff is certainly laying on the Pub Club promotion thick, certainly enough to piss off people. I'd advise the staff to ease off with the promos, PMs and news posts like this.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Furburt said:
John Funk said:
Er, for the same reason we announce anything else in the Pub Club? Because not everyone scans every inch of the site to find out what might have popped up and we'd like to give them a heads up?
That's fair enough, but you do know that the Pubclub is an extremely contentious issue, don't you?

I mean, even generally laid back old PRIATE had a flame war about it, that resulted in one of our oldest members leaving this site permanently.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be announced...Okay, well maybe I am. I dunno. I just think that you really have to be tactful with this, it could lead to a lot of hassle that you'd have to deal with.

I'm not sure what an amicable solution would be, but in the words of Han Solo "I got a bad feeling about this".
I don't feel it should be. If people like us enough to give us money directly, then great, we get to give stuff back that otherwise would not be feasible for a variety of reasons. If not, then great - you can continue enjoying our content as you always have for the low, low sum of $0.00.

It may be, but it shouldn't be. And when we continue to get cool stuff for our Pub Club members, we will make announcements. Just like when we make announcements when we get cool stuff for everyone else (see the Firefly contest we're running just now).

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Irridium said:
Demon ID said:
Irridium said:
Demon ID said:
Trivun said:

For you I guess the big thing would be the special forum, which as I said is basically the Off-Topic forum only smaller and without all the "what is your favorite/least favorite and whatnot" threads.
Yes I believe It would be, I mean a place without Favorite/least favorite threads all the time sounds like witchcraft personally. I think it would be best I hold out until I really start to like the content on the site, right now whilst I like a fair bit theirs nothing I really love. Except of course the forums, which I already can fully see (aside from the smaller off topic thread). I'll likely join up eventually, once I feel more integrated into the community :)

I feel as though this topic has already started to decay into the in and out group war, whether it will keep civilised is anyones guess.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Furburt said:
John Funk said:

I do have to admit, the staff is certainly laying on the Pub Club promotion thick, certainly enough to piss off people. I'd advise the staff to ease off with the promos, PMs and news posts like this.
Yeah, it really is getting on my nerves even though I have no problem whatsoever with the Club itself.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Awesome,. All those jokes which are not PC enough...just for our enjoyment XD

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
I think I'll just read the cut stories for free on the LRR website as I have always done, if they stop putting the content up on there and become wholly engulfed by The Escapist then I'll just be dissapointed and on their behalf also. It does seem like a fairly random thing to be putting in to the Publisher's Club rather than just pointing out that the content already exists elsewhere for all to see and supporting the original LRR site.

On that note, everyone head over to LoadingReadyRun.com and read up on Desert Bus 4.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
What a dick move, why not share it with everyone, you know just not in HD. Normal users fill your pocket books as well with ads alone.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Furburt said:
However, this thread doesn't seem to have turned into one. This is one of the instances where I'm glad to be proved wrong.
Unfortunately, the comment right below this one is exactly what we were both fearing - more people pissed off about Publisher's Club =\

While I think the feature is great (thanks John, happy birthday!), I do think The Escapist needs a more tactful approach at how it presents The Escapist... Some users seem to think that the Pub Club is some kind elitist group full of snobs, when its really a fantastic, tightly-knit community.

While it shouldn't cause such a controversy, the fact is it has, and I hope its something that can be addressed, either by The Escapist or the community at some point or another.

Maybe a good start would be to give regular members some cool new feature's too - I don't mean contests, which probably won't benefit most people, but stuff like... I dunno, the larger avatar's that were implemented for Pub Club user's recently could be expanded to the rest of the community, stuff like that.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Wait a second... They've released a couple of them for free on youtube. Now they're(you're!?) demanding a subscription to see them?

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
LRR recently said on their site that they wont be publishing Rejected ENN on their site and subsequent YouTube account because they're moving them to the Escapist as they want to support the Escapist all they can. So yeah, you will have to pay now.

Yeah, I know some people have chips on their shoulder over the elitist malarky, but it's a perfectly logical desicion. Support the Escapist, or some of us might need to read a book or something.

(No I'm not a member as I'm poor)

Jer_LRR

ENN Reporter & Photoshop Wizard
Sep 30, 2009
Hey guys, just wanted to chime in and clarify some things:

* Rejected ENN began its life as a regular blog update of ENN stories that were written but never produced, due mostly to space constraints.
* A short time ago, the ENN production process changed somewhat, resulting in a lot more unused video and a lot less unused text. We produced an video version of Rejected ENN as a proof-of-concept, and offered it to the Escapist as a Publisher's Club extra.
* Going forward, ENN Rejected will be an exclusive feature on the Publisher's Club, but we will continue to support the series with other weekly bonus content on our own site. This week's post [http://loadingreadyrun.com/blog/?p=1522], for example, features the original (and somewhat longer) audio track from the Resident Evil: the Spencer Mansion Liaison audio book.

There is a discussion going on about this, with some expanded explanation as to our thinking in this matter here [http://loadingreadyrun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12615].

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
I wonder if people on the escapist know that the moment you start limiting your content and make people pay, people will moove on.