Retronemesis

Mar 3, 2011
guide to making something interesting in minecraft
1pick any game but minecraft
2 recreate it in minecraft
3 profit

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Accomplishing such a feat requires specialized software that helps transfer the map data into the game, as well as circumvent Minecraft's normal 128 block height limit.
Accomplishing this feat clearly takes a significant time investment, but, based on this statement from the article, I don't think it takes as long as people here seem to be assuming. It sounds like he already has pulled out all the model data and simply has to import it into software that converts it to Minecraft blocks. He's not necessarily reconstructing the entire terrain manually, block by block. Granted it would still require a huge time investment to find(or develop) the software necessary to extract WoW terrain model data and then convert it to Minecraft blocks, but I doubt the guy has actually spent every waking moment for the last 2-3 years of his life(which is the level of effort I'm guessing this would require for manual construction) painstakingly reconstructing WoW, one block at a time. Only a truly insane hermit would do that. For a guess, I would wager that the entire effort only took him about 1-2 months(I'll give even as much as 3) with what he has so far.

To be honest, I would be shocked if anyone making any of these city to continent sized ultra-structures in Minecraft are actually doing the full construction without some significant software assistance.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
samaugsch said:
Taunta said:
I'm more curious how they plan to do the dungeons. Are they gonna try to smoosh dungeons in the world, or actually instance them? Is instancing possible in Minecraft? And are they going to try to do Outlands? What about the Maelstrom?

Anyways, this is really cool.
They could do it like with the portals leading to hell in Minecraft.
Ah. See, I don't play Minecraft, so I would have no idea.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
With the tools they have out these days that can help with large projects on minecraft. This is neat, but not as big of a feat as it would normally have been. The first thing people think of when it comes to minecraft is "Holy shit they built this one block at a time?" When... Nooo not exactly... Most of the time you'd have to suspect things like MCedit and World Painter were used.

Angry Juju said:
Don't get too riled up by The Cool Kid. He's a pretty well known for saying things that he knows will completely anger people and has been suspended in the past for it.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
I suggest he don't post it online when he has completed it, else I bet you $10 000 that he is going to get sued to kingdom come by Blizzard-Activition's legal department as he used WoW's data files to generate it.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
It makes it a lot less impressive for me that he used a program. And lets face it, all the buildings aren't even there.

So basically it's a rough trace over azeroth using a binvox-ish tool.