Epic Games: Fortnite is Designed for PC

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Epic Games: Fortnite is Designed for PC

For the first time in over ten years, Epic is launching a PC-exclusive game.

Although Epic Games first debuted its next game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114682-Epic-Games-Unveils-Fortnite] Fortnite last year at the Spike VGA Awards, there hasn't been much word on the fortress-building tower defense game since. Unfortunately for console fans anticipating the game, we now know that Fortnite is exclusive to PC. Speaking at Comic-Con today, design director Cliff Bleszinski stated that Fortnite is "a PC-designed game" and that "next-gen is here. It's a high-end PC."

Fortnite may not be PC-only forever, though. Bleszinski clarified in a later tweet that the game "is PC primary and first, but we wouldn't rule out the possibility of other platforms later." Besides the departure in terms of platforms - Epic's recent games have been available on consoles at the same time as the PC version - Fortnite also represents a distinct shift in tone. In stark contrast to the hyper-realistic graphics of the company's recent games like Bulletstorm and the Gears of War franchise, Epic is going with a simpler, cartoonish style reminiscent of Team Fortress 2. The game also downplays the shooting mechanic Epic is otherwise known for; producer Tanya Jessen stated at Comic-Con that "building is really the core of the game."

The building mechanic, in fact, is not incomparable to breakout indie hit Minecraft - demo gameplay footage shown at Comic-Con highlighted the ability to break down structures for materials, then build or edit existing structures. The game will have a more tower-defense lean to it, though, as players are given waves of monsters to fight off and upgradeable weapons.

[gallery=829]

The amount of detail and interaction between structures is unclear, but the ability to build particularly elaborate structures - like Home Alone-style traps - may be added to the game after release. Bleszinski said during a Q&A about the game, "I don't think we'll have any Rube-Goldberg-type stuff in the first version, but it's kind of a no-brainer later." Additional features and support after the game's release would be robust, according to Jessen, who said the studio is "just going to keep adding onto [Fortnite]."

The pricing and release details for Fortnite aren't available yet, but when it does come out it will look particularly shiny - the game is the first to run on Unreal Engine 4, Epic's brainchild and successor to the immensely popular Unreal Engine 3. Among other improvements, the new engine features dynamic lighting, which works with the bold colors of the new game quite nicely.

Source: Gamesindustry [http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/12/3155138/epic-games-fortnite-will-be-the-developers-first-unreal-engine-4-game]

Xenotechie

Sep 30, 2010
Epic games actually caring about PC again? My eyes are deceiving me. I hope the game turns out to be good.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Huh, I thought Epic games was retired when Gears of Wars and Unreal Tournament 3 was released.

((PC gamer))

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
They're releasing their first Unreal Engine 4 title with Source-esque cartoonish graphics?... color me already intrigued with this game.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Akisa said:
Huh, I thought Epic games was retired when Gears of Wars and Unreal Tournament 3 was released.

((PC gamer))
They retired when UT04 was released. UT3 was balls. Gears 2 and 3 are acceptable though, if not great... on console.

This is intriguing news though, nonetheless. To see developers turning back to PC as the predominant platform. This does not bode well for console manufacturers.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Bvenged said:
Akisa said:

((PC gamer))
They retired when UT04 was released. UT3 was balls. Gears 2 and 3 are acceptable though, if not great... on console.

This is intriguing news though, nonetheless. To see developers turning back to PC as the predominant platform. This does not bode well for console manufacturers.
It's one developer making a game first for the PC, it does not necessarily mean it will instigate a radical change, as the market is still the same.
Don't forget that this is also the same company that are also going to focus on mobile gaming more in the future.

And Gears of War 3 is a good game :)

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Meh, the bad taste in PC gamer's mouth isn't going to go away after the amount of shit that Epic's poster boy CliffyB has thrown at PC gamers over the years just because they decide to throw us a random new franchise.
PC gamers: We loved gears 1, we want 2 and 3!
CliffyB: STFU Pirates.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Viper114 said:
I'm sorry, I'm too busy playing TF2 which is FREE.
Except it will be quite different to TF2. Just because the art style is similar doesn't mean it will essentially be the same game.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I don't have any interest in this game in particular, but it's about fucking time there was a shooter with a cartoon aesthetic that's neither a TF2 ripoff nor just regular characters with cell shading.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
You know this could be good. I've been enjoying the Invasion mod for Minecraft lately, and I'm not usually into tower defense, Orcs Must Die is about as far as I'd usually go, but if they get the urban fort building aspect right this could be a blast.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Designed for PC, running on UE4, and still Anti aliasing is a fucking mystery to Epic. Unbelievable. Geometry in those screenshots have aliased edges all over the place. I sure hope they reevaluate their concept of "High-end PCs" and what the people using them really want...

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
So after a decade Epic returns to PC, after telling us to take a hike? Thanks Epic, I'll buy this when Steam has it as a 75% off or greater daily deal.