Epic Games: Fortnite is Designed for PC

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
clippen05 said:
InB4 console gamers crying over not having this game
As a mostly console gamer, entirely uninterested.

Personally, I doubt I'll buy another Epic game after what they did to People Can Fly.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Colour me interested. I'm glad that Epic is taking this departure from its usual style. Who knows? It might even temp other publishers into taking risks on more obtuse projects if Fortnite is received well and sells well.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
A L4D/Minecraft clone hybrid? Innovation one step at a time boy and girls.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I've gotten into tower defense games lately between Dungeon Defenders and Iron Brigade. This seems like it will be in the same vein as those. I'm interested.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
ruedyn said:
clippen05 said:
InB4 console gamers crying over not having this game
As a mostly console gamer, entirely uninterested.

Personally, I doubt I'll buy another Epic game after what they did to People Can Fly.
And what was that exactly? They are doing the Gears prequel now that will most likely sell well even if its just because of the name, they gave PCF a safe enviorment after the lackluster sales that Bulletstorm got.

Scrumpmonkey said:
Please don't prove all the snarky critics right by saying "Not a grey-brown shooter. Not interested. PC gamers can keep it" because they just plays even more into the stereotype of the modern console gamer.

We already have gears of war. Three of them. And they are all the worst kind of desaturated macho slabs of beef bullshit. Maybe don't take something different as a bad thing. Everyone cries about innovation and new IPs but the moment someone tries people react in horror.
Exactly, people are being so fucking negative about this and I just cant see why. I can understand not being interested but give them some merit for trying something new. I expected this kind of treatement from Gametrailers or Youtube but here?

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
The game idea sounds interesting, I'll look forward to finding out if I can run it >.>

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
koroem said:
Designed for PC, running on UE4, and still Anti aliasing is a fucking mystery to Epic. Unbelievable. Geometry in those screenshots have aliased edges all over the place. I sure hope they reevaluate their concept of "High-end PCs" and what the people using them really want...
Did you look at them at full/original size? They look much better that way and obviously have some antialiasing going on (along with being a little heavy on the various blur effects). UE4 certainly gets along with standard AA techniques if you look at the most recent tech demo they did of it at E3. All the screenshots that they released along with that video had nice, smooth edges. I'm still skeptical and waiting until I actually see it myself after the mess that most UE3 games were, but UE4 has been encouraging so far.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
koroem said:
Designed for PC, running on UE4, and still Anti aliasing is a fucking mystery to Epic. Unbelievable. Geometry in those screenshots have aliased edges all over the place. I sure hope they reevaluate their concept of "High-end PCs" and what the people using them really want...
Are you serious? Cause if you are then GET OUT!

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
mirage202 said:
So after a decade Epic returns to PC, after telling us to take a hike? Thanks Epic, I'll buy this when Steam has it as a 75% off or greater daily deal.
Shush, stop proving David Demartini right.

Either way though, I'm just glad PC gamers finally get the top-level treatment after all these exclusive titles that the consoles have been getting.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
'hyper-realistic graphics of the company's recent games like Bulletstorm '
Uh... yeah...

Aaanyway, I'm excited about this. Tower Defense - awesome. Colorful graphics - awesome.

-edit-
I didn't realize until reading some posts here that Epic had been sticking it to the PC gamers. I did notice the conspicuous absence of the GoW series on PC, but it's their loss. I would have bought it if it were available.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Farther than stars said:
the top-level treatment
Except it's not top level treatment... this is Epic following what Bleszinski called 'middle class' development. The theory behind it is actually pretty solid - that middle tier development (not AAA but not 'indie') with it's much smaller budgets allows for greater freedom to experiment, and middle tier development is currently strongest on the PC...

This isn't Epic 'coming back crawling' or 'throwing PC gamers a bone', it's a business strategy aimed at lowering the financial risks of building up new IP... and possibly also testing to see if it's viable to do so as various depts/teams finish up their part of vomitting out a new Dudes of Bro title.

As a business strategy goes, it's an interesting approach buuuuut it would probably work better for a company that hadn't spent the better part of a decade alienating and insulting PC gamers.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
ksn0va said:
koroem said:
No I was being sarcastic. I have in the past blasted the shit out of Epic for being complete tossers to PC gamers, but I am willing to give them this last chance to prove themselves. Promotional images like this are almost always rendered in some obscenely high resolution then downsampled/resized to a more reasonable size for public/media distribution. I wouldn't take any of these screens as indication of the real thing.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
Since you look somewhat interested in this take a look here:
http://comic-con.gamespot.com/story/6386859/epics-cliff-bleszinski-and-tanya-jessen-talk-up-fortnite

It will have mod support and constant updates with new stuff, now just wait until people compare it even more with TF2 and how that is a bad thing

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
koroem said:
ksn0va said:
koroem said:
No I was being sarcastic. I have in the past blasted the shit out of Epic for being complete tossers to PC gamers, but I am willing to give them this last chance to prove themselves. Promotional images like this are almost always rendered in some obscenely high resolution then downsampled/resized to a more reasonable size for public/media distribution. I wouldn't take any of these screens as indication of the real thing.
My mistake then. I apologees.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
kitsuta said:
that "next-gen is here. It's a high-end PC."
Epic you get no kudo points for this. It is just naked pandering. I can't be arsed finding them but he has made so many quotes to the opposite, slighting the PC, as a gaming platform, when most PC gamers already knew that the above was true. Now it looks like either the next gen consoles will be either, under powered, or a long way of still, so now Epic come back tail between their legs to court PC gamers. Not interested. We will see what the game is like and pat Epic on the back if it is any good, but lets not pretend Epic are friends of PC gaming.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
I've heard the "Designed for PC" argument before by many developers, but I really don't believe it. It's a marketing line, nothing more and nothing less.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
£5 says this fails miserably, thereby 'proving' to Epic why they left the PC market in the first place.