Epic Games VP Is Impressed With PS4's Hardware

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Able Seacat said:
I don't really know why the specs are a big deal. The console with the best specs has never sold the most. It's the quality of the games that count people.
This. I want to see what sony has to offer in game department, don't care about social networking, OS functionality, hardware or the amount of EMOTIONS on the screen.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I agree wtih him for once excep for "It's like giving you the world's best PC. you're just going to sleep it and it's going to come back on."
its not the worlds best PC. its the worlds average PC and will be a slow pc in a year (when it launches). and i will most definatelly turn it off if i end up having it.

SkarKrow said:
I'm also excited by the prospects of octo-core AMD APU's being in consoles. Provides steady income for AMD and helps prevent the terror that would be a monopoly run by Nvidia and Intel. It also means we'll see games start to take advantage of more than 3 or 4 cores.
Your excited that a old/inferior technology maker that cannot create a CPU to beo n part with new Intel design having to resort to adding 2x as many cores to play catch-up is going to be having a steady income while them arket leader Intel is going to suffer? Or that Nvidia - the card you want to take if you want gaming without having to deal with driver issues constantly - is not going to be there? Why would you be excited for having the inferior technology?

IF you WOULD assign all the resources to a game, it would take forever to alt-tab out of it, and once you did, Windows would be barely usable (if at all).
not if the game frezes its graphics while on alt-tab, which is true for 90% of games after 2007. also not true if your computer is faster than your game needs to run properly, that is, unelss you are stupid enough to remove the framerate cap and your GPU is faster than your CPU.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Ultratwinkie said:

Do you even know what a Jaguar is? Its a 8 core, low power Tablet CPU. The 8 core tablet CPU is actually 8 WEAKER cores to control the power draw, not regular cores.

Hell, they even said its akin to a weaker quad core. Its said to be about 1.6-2 GHz. Even the Intel I3 has way more than that. Its not some godlike machine that can't improved on because its too expensive, its a decent one because the market realities have changed.

Ultratwinkie said:
TheSniperFan said:
You guys forget one thing.
The OS will be optimized for gaming (and this social bullshit, but whatever). Windows, even a clean installation, is incredibly bloated. The amount of services and applications that run in the background slow it down, because they need to be able to respond quickly.
Most people don't know, but your PC cannot multitask. It just switches between processes really fast. You need to prioritize the processes though, which is done by the so called scheduler. For Windows the UI is a high priority, since you don't want delays when working with it. IF you WOULD assign all the resources to a game, it would take forever to alt-tab out of it, and once you did, Windows would be barely usable (if at all).

I would like to see someone build a PC that has PS3 specs and run PS3-games on it. Good luck.
Sony cant afford highly unique OSes anymore. They want it to be more in line with a PC than console, because they just can't afford it.

If anything, this makes emulation easier, as well as the resource management.

People forget the PS3 and the market crash really took it out of Sony. They can't afford to be unique and "powerful" moneypits anymore. They need something cheap.

Do you even have ANY idea what your talking about? Who gives a flying fuck that the CPU isn't an i7 or something. The GPU is what matters for rendering graphics, the CPU specializes in numerical calculations and programs. And did you think Sony was going to put Windows 8 or something on it? Its going to have its own OS and it won't need nearly the same amount of resources as a windows pc that has to be ready run anything I throw at it. Hell, pc's slow down in time after they get so much stuff installed on them anyway especially drivers that can ass-rape various programs. I once had a keyboard driver that installed from a MOUSE I used causing problems with Bethesda games not recognizing the tilde` key causing me to be barred from using console commands. Software is of huge importance, the hardware only allows for potential, its why Metal Gear Solid 4 still looks amazing despite coming out a year after the ps3's launch

I get it. You don't want a console. You don't have to make stuff up to justify pc as "clearly better"

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
And here's the thing, its an APU.

The CPU and GPU are the same thing on a console, because its integrated into a single thing.

And secondly, computer slow downs? If you have "computer slow downs" you aren't as tech savvy as you think you are.

Hardware is important, because it determines what is and isn't possible and for how long this thing lasts. The problem here is the PS3 is ancient and is holding gaming back. Now its just a case of hiding the ugliness in a game. The PS4 isn't any better, as it has a low power tablet CPU. That alone doesn't give it much flexibility.

That isn't going to last long, and very soon we'll back right back where we started with the PS4. Old, and highly outdated. Only this time we have to wait it out some more because Sony can't afford to make another one so soon.

and third, I said HIGHLY UNIQUE OS. Its going to be more accessible because the PS3 was a nightmare. Which in turn makes anything the PS4 has easier to emulate on PCs because it doesn't need to compensate for the OS as much. It also helps developers because they don't need to change much.
Fine. I have no idea what your talking about with APUs. The ps4 will be capable of graphics better than a tablet is something I know for sure. Just look up the trailers and the Metal Gear Solid 5 gameplay. Can't do that shit with a terga 3

I've worked in tech support at my college for 2 years and I don't have a degree or anything but I've talked about exactly these problems with my boss who's been gaming on a pc since probably before you were born. Computers just get random problems. It happens. Obviously, you wouldn't notice these things if you drop more than a grand on a sweet ass machine. There's no way to avoid slow downs unless I bought fantastic pc but I spent a lot of money on a gaming laptop years ago so I'm not looking to replace my baby. I could use winpatrol to delay start up programs so my boot is faster but they all have to start eventually.

And the ps3's interface was a "nightmare"? Oh wow, you got these buttons on the controller and these icons like "Internet browser" and "playstation store" and "play game" how is anyone supposed to figure that out?

And even if it does become outdated (read: it won't. I've been using a ps3 for 7 years) does it really matter to the people they're selling it to? I want a machine that will help me play games on a controller that are perfectly optimized for my needs so I won't need to spend an hour tweeking graphics settings to get the most frames for the most pretty and I don't want to spend more than $500 a device for this AND getting software to facilitate my needs. I already have a pc. I use it when it is more convenient like mods and indy games and stuff.

Basically this: you always want the best graphics and options? Then buy a nice computer! If you don't give a shit and want to plug and play? then buy a console!

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
You are making shit up now aren't you?

I said it was a nightmare to try to emulate or port games to. It was something that developers had to put up with, and hated how needlessly unique it was for little reason. Now Sony doesn't want to do that because it costs money.

The Jaguar CPU is basically what a tablet can do now. It only looks amazing because the PS3 was done on 2005 tech, something tablets NOW outclass. However, APUs are not as good as a dedicated card, which puts too much cost into production.

If you are trying to argue, try to keep up.

And yes, it will be outdated. the only reason the PS3 stayed around is because Sony didn't want to dump more money into consoles. Because consoles only started making profit around 4 years ago, it doesn't make business sense to bankrupt yourself again just when you start making money. Which is why they wanted to do a cheap console now.
For the love of... (one Google search later). Oh gee. Looky here. Info on the Jaguar CPU:

"Last but not least, there's that custom AMD processor to discuss, and here's where we need to be extremely careful about jumping to conclusions: with a custom design, there's no telling exactly how powerful the processor might be, or how much developers might get out of it. Still, we can draw a few parallels: we actually saw a quad-core Jaguar processor at CES, inside AMD's Temash reference design. Contrary to what you might believe, Jaguar actually isn't a beefy CPU; AMD's selling the tiny cores in chips designed for low-end laptops and tablets. And yet, with floating-point performance of 1.84 teraflops and a next-gen Radeon architecture, the GPU will likely have more power than a 1.76 teraflop AMD Radeon HD 7850, a mid-range graphics card for gaming computers."
~The Verge

Oh and here's that common tablet you were talking about: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/3848868/amd-temash-hands-on-windows-gaming-on-a-1080p-tablet

A fucking experimental tablet pc designed for gaming shown a few months ago.

And as I keep trying to say, the whole point in buying a console is because its an accessible method of gaming for a reasonable price. And it only looks amazing because ps3 is 2005 tech? Do you think I've never seen a high graphics game before? Good looks good. Games don't become ugly because they aren't the best of the best. Its. Not. About. The best. Specs. Sony (and Microsoft) didn't want to "dump money" into a console because updates allowed for software optimization that extended the life of this console cycle. It was fun while it lasted but the gap between console and pc has gotten too big.

And you think I'm making shit up? The operating system wasn't what made it hard to develop for the ps3 which is why I was confused by your nonsense. It was the cell processor which was some kind of 7 core with a weird set up that made it "better" but a ***** to design for. Yeah they hated it but they figured it out

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Ohhhhhhhhhh. I get it now. After looking over your previous posts, I see you don't know what an OS is and have gotten it confused with CPU architecture. Well, allow me to enlighten you FOR FREEEEEEEE (its normally my job). An operating system is kind of like the main framework for a computer. All the programs on a device and its user interface are controlled by the OS. Computer OS's like Windows, Linux, and Mac OS typically use a lot more resources than a specialized device like a game console. Unfortunately, games need a lot of resources and an OS like Windows just can't give up some of its resources but a game console can focus all its attention on games which is handy. Sony didn't use a cpu architecture that was similar to a pc because "they couldn't afford a special one". They did it because they want games to be developed more easily for there console because having more games makes their device more attractive to customers

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
Yes cause obviously the only thing devs care about is how many emotions - I mean polygons - they can fit into a game. Its why they focus so much development time on the pc. Oh wait, they don't do that cause they make most of their money off console game sales. Its only become a problem within the last 2 years maybe. Fuck. READ THE TITLE OF THIS ARTICLE

And the Verge can make that comparison because the CPU makes makes more teraflops than a mid range graphics card and its not like they said their theory was more than an educated guess. And your motorcycle comparison doesn't hold water because you still don't get that console gamers don't want a high end PC.

Not that any of your comments matter. You already showed you don't know what you're talking about. You just over exaggerating details about the CPU being for tablets when you don't even know what fucking operating system is

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:

What, you thought I wouldn't read your sources? that 70% is from Wow subscriptions. you know Wow? that game that is the best selling most played mmo ever? that wow? and EA's money came from micro transactions. and I mistakenly thought the ps4 would have some kind of GPU the way you kept comparing to other CPU's like it was the same damn thing. And I'm not elitist. I love pc gaming, but at this point in my life it can't meet all my needs and I'm trying to explain that but you don't get it. here's an experiment: go buy a cheap chrome book. it's specs must blow the xbox and ps3 out of the water. then put Linux on it and steam then see how many AAA games can be played on it. Then look at at a $200 ps3 with 500 megabytes of ram with a processor in the megahertz run call of duty or something. Consoles are not low spec pc's they are completely different. If you had some fucking empathy you could see that

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
By the way, a little meta-note here: You know what the master race vs Sony optimists argument has achieved, speaking as someone who has no idea of the difference infrastructure has on computing ability or anything like that? I'm apathetic. I don't care anymore whether it is better or worse than an average PC. There are so many people who will swear either way it's ridiculous.