Epic's Fortnite May Require Always-On Internet

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Epic's Fortnite May Require Always-On Internet

Fortnite's "primarily" co-op gameplay may necessitate a constant connection.

Since it was first popularized by Ubisoft way back in 2010, so-called 'always-on' DRM has been a major point of contention in the industry. Ubisoft unfortunate complications [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111951-Ubisoft-Says-Always-On-DRM-A-Success] to say the least. Now it's possible that Epic Games' new PC tower defense game Fortnite will be the next game to require a constant connection, but the final decision will have more to do with the game's co-op gameplay than with a fear of pirates.

Speaking to Rock, Paper, Shotgun in an interview, Epic Producer Tanya Jessen revealed that the upcoming game will be "developed as a co-op experience primarily." So, while the studio has not ruled out requiring a constant connection to play, it wants to do what's "more relevant to the most fun experience you can have with your friends." It will also depend on factors outside the game, like the frequent updates Epic alluded to at San-Diego Comic-Con [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118446-Epic-Games-Fortnite-is-Designed-for-PC] last weekend.

An always-online connection required for gameplay makes more sense for multiplayer-focused games, but it still leaves players with a choppy or even non-existent connection out in the cold. Requiring a connection to an external server could also mean a premature death for the game if Epic decides to cut support without an offline-enabling patch. Jessen gave no indication of when Epic would decide whether or not to require a constant connection.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/19/exclusive-epic-mulling-always-online-for-fortnite/]

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
And cue everyone crying about how requiring an always-on connection ruins games.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
PC-exclusive games seem to come hand and hand with 'almost-always-online' nowadays.

AND WE ALL KNOW WHY DAT IS RITE GAIS?
D:

Mar 7, 2012
NOPE

Cross that off of the games I'm willing to buy. Unless Epic changes their mind.

antipunt said:
PC-exclusive games seem to come hand and hand with 'almost-always-online' nowadays.

AND WE ALL KNOW WHY DAT IS RITE GAIS?
D:
Because PC games have better internet than console games do?

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Well, I've never heard of this game before. That said, this single factor would cause me to stop wanting to buy it. I don't feel like supporting companies that think treating the customer like a criminal is good business. If there is a single player mode the game has no business requiring me to be online to play it. Hell, even EA gets this right, and they seem to be doing their very best to screw over the customer in every way possible.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Just another company to add to the black list.

Seriously, unless you're running an MMO, there is absolutely no justification for requiring always-online in your game.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
cidbahamut said:

Seriously, unless you're running an MMO, there is absolutely no justification for requiring always-online in your game.
tf2 is always online and that is not an MMO *duck*
this would upset me if i hadn't decided to never buy epic games after they didn't release gears 2 on the PC

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Jesus tap-dancing Christ, the reasons just keep piling up to never buy another Epic game. ITS LIKE THEY DON'T WANT CUSTOMERS.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I'm looking forward to hear what Cliff Bleszinski is gonna say to justify this while still attempting to maintain his street-cred.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
And cue everyone crying about how requiring an always-on connection ruins games.
Cue a vocal minority of spineless gamers crying about how, "This will totally not set a bad precedent for PC games. Like, we know we said the exact same thing with Ubisoft and Blizzard, but third times the charm right gaise??

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Littaly said:
I'm looking forward to hear what Cliff Bleszinski is gonna say to justify this while still attempting to maintain his street-cred.
CliffyB has 0 "street-cred" with PC gamers, he's been spitting on them and calling them filthy pirates for years.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
teebeeohh said:
cidbahamut said:

tf2 is always online and that is not an MMO *duck*
this would upset me if i hadn't decided to never buy epic games after they didn't release gears 2 on the PC
So all those hours training with bots was just my imagination?

Huh.

Hou are PARTIALLY correct you need to be online to access your backpack, the ManCo store and get weapon drops. But you can still play with bots and the vanilla weapons offline.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I thought this was being developed as a free to play game anyway? I would expect those to need to be constantly connected.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
matrix3509 said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Cue a vocal minority of spineless gamers crying about how, "This will totally not set a bad precedent for PC games. Like, we know we said the exact same thing with Ubisoft and Blizzard, but third times the charm right gaise??
Cue people taking my post too seriously and quoting me with hostile comments.

Duckman

Jan 7, 2012
kitsuta said:
...but the final decision will have more to do with the game's co-op gameplay than with a fear of pirates.

Sounds like a load of crap to cover their asses