Epic's Mark Rein Apologizes to Insulted Indie Dev

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Meh Mark Rien runs a successful business making good games and a really good engine it gives him a right to have an input if want to turn away good advice your an idiot. Now they way he went about it was all wrong and rude.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Yosharian said:
murphy7801 said:
Meh Mark Rien runs a successful business making good games and a really good engine it gives him a right to have an input if want to turn away good advice your an idiot. Now they way he went about it was all wrong and rude.
Good games? Yes, the Gears of War series is really REVOLUTIONIZING the games industry. The most important thing when considering whether to take advice is whether it's actually good advice, not who the person is who's giving it.

And anyway really, what's so good about Epic. They never made anything that was THAT good. The Unreal series was terribly average, the original UT was fairly good and then they just repackaged it 5 times with new graphics, Gears 1 is a really average game when you put it up against a real game like, say, Half-Life. And so on.

I can think of a hundred games developers I'd rather have in existence right now in Epic's place. It's not like we're talking about a LEGENDARY developer here.
You think half life is good its the pure embodiment of average

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Yosharian said:
murphy7801 said:
Yosharian said:
murphy7801 said:
Good games? Yes, the Gears of War series is really REVOLUTIONIZING the games industry. The most important thing when considering whether to take advice is whether it's actually good advice, not who the person is who's giving it.

And anyway really, what's so good about Epic. They never made anything that was THAT good. The Unreal series was terribly average, the original UT was fairly good and then they just repackaged it 5 times with new graphics, Gears 1 is a really average game when you put it up against a real game like, say, Half-Life. And so on.

I can think of a hundred games developers I'd rather have in existence right now in Epic's place. It's not like we're talking about a LEGENDARY developer here.
You think half life is good its the pure embodiment of average
Half Life is EPIC compared to the train-wreck that is Gears of War. (See what I did there?) I don't know what to say if you think Half-Life is average. Hating HL seems to be fashionable around here for some reason.. I don't know why.
I have played the first one its was good and i enjoyed it at the time the second just seemed weak and had physics gimmick. Also have you ever considered if alot people think something a dull or rubbish maybe because it is. Anyway aside from that if you enjoy half life more power to you enjoy the 3rd chapter when ever it comes out. Back to my original point I was talking business good because a game being enjoyable is subjective were as cold hard cash is an easy measure. Last as a foot note check out shadow complex you might like it ?

derek_smart

Oct 15, 2009
Can we go back to bashing Mark and Cliff please? All this gaming talks is just flat out boring.

Thanks for your understanding. Have a nice day.

ktnx bye

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
derek_smart said:
Can we go back to bashing Mark and Cliff please? All this gaming talks is just flat out boring.

Thanks for your understanding. Have a nice day.

ktnx bye
Yer yer cliffy b likes dog cock

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Yosharian said:
murphy7801 said:
Back to my original point I was talking business good because a game being enjoyable is subjective were as cold hard cash is an easy measure. Last as a foot note check out shadow complex you might like it ?
Well I thought HL2 was awesome.. and most of the serious gamers I know agree with me..

And yes I played Shadow Complex and liked it.. ok so that's ONE game. and an XBLA game at that.
The term serious gamers such vague statement what do you consider it to mean ?

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Kwil said:
unabomberman said:
If Harris has any sense he'll keep mum.

Any kind of response can be misconstrued by the total groveling of Rein's letter; if he smashes him he'll be thought of as an explosive asshole, and if he doesn't it could easily be made to appear that they've both kissed and made out, and everything is fine (which you cannot know as the letter could easily be taken as a PR saving face stunt) which in the End benefits mostly Rein.

In the end, silence seems like the best option in my oppinion.
Nah, it's been played out in public and the ball has now been publicly tossed into Harris' court. If there's no response at all, it'll look like Harris is a bit of a jerk. Whether it's PR or not (and from what I know of Rein, it's probably not) it is some sort of attempt. The gracious response at this point would simply be a twittered "Thanks Mark, apology accepted" type of response.
But that's kind of the point; everytime someone grovels there's this tacit expectation that you have to take them up on their word and then everything is fine, especially when done in public. Maybe I'm wrong but if Harris is gonna say something it should be a "good luck in your future endeavors," or something, at best. Know what I mean?