Episode 6: "A Golden Crown"

LordOfTheDance

Mar 30, 2009
.[B@lL15T1C said:
.]Is it just me or did the direwolves get involved in the wildling fight for bran in the book?
Truthfully I don't remember. But they need to remember to show the audience the dire wolves at least once an episode. Non-book fans will forget about them and they play important parts from time to time.

So does Rickson not exist in this show? I know it is hard to have a very young child. Because where are we really without Shaggydog?

Anyway I have really enjoyed the last two episodes. Though I wonder how non-book fans are doing. Because the show is basically fan service to fans of the books and I feel that non-fans will not know a lot of details that are important but never explained in the show.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Game of Thrones Recap - Episode 6: "A Golden Crown"

So many good ideas go wrong this week.

Read Full Article
I don't often (ever) make editorial suggestions for revision, but I think you really need to include a short bit about how Daenerys put the stone dragon egg in the fire and then picked it up without being harmed, while her servant was burned in the scale pattern when she took the egg away from Daenerys: it's fairly crucial in that it demonstrates to Daenerys that she may be the true Dragon, and almost definitely has much to do with her withdrawing her protection from Viserys.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
animehermit said:
It was heavily implied in a conversation between Renly and his brother Stannis in the 2nd book.
I haven't gotten that far yet, but even earlier at Renly's feast Catelyn observes he seems to be paying more attention to the Knight of Flowers than to his wife - not that he's neglecting the wife, but that his attention paid to her seems more token.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
I miss The Dragon already :(

"YOU CAN'T DO THIS...I AM THE DRAGONNN!"

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
TheShrimp said:
I'm still shocked due to the homoerotic scene of Renly and Loras on Episode 5.
Was this even in the book?!
Most likely.
That also explains why Renly's waifu kept her maidenhead. Waifu (> . >)

Like someone else said, I expected Bronn (muscle) to be more agile, but hey, he shared a few smirks with Tyrion (brain). So that's all right :p

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
A message from Tyrion to Catelyn and Lysa:

I think this was the best episode yet. It's been said before, but the younger actors on this show are freaking fantastic. Isaac Hempstead-Wright conveys Bran's restlessness well, Maisie Williams is an incredibly adorable asskicker, and Sophie Turner pouts like a freakin' champ. I even enjoyed the kid playing Robin/Robert Arryn (with the exception of his introductory scene.)

Here's something I've been wondering: Do you think the next season will be called "Clash of Kings," in keeping with the books, or "Game of Thrones," to minimize confusion?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
.[B@lL15T1C said:
.]
Susan Arendt said:

Read Full Article
Is it just me or did the direwolves get involved in the wildling fight for bran in the book?

Yea, I'm pretty certain shaggydog and Grey Wind tore the throats out of the two wildlings who were killed by robb in this ep.
It's not just you. They've really almost completely removed the direwolves from the TV show. I'm wondering if it's because the animals were tough to work with, or something.

solidstatemind said:
I don't often (ever) make editorial suggestions for revision, but I think you really need to include a short bit about how Daenerys put the stone dragon egg in the fire and then picked it up without being harmed, while her servant was burned in the scale pattern when she took the egg away from Daenerys: it's fairly crucial in that it demonstrates to Daenerys that she may be the true Dragon, and almost definitely has much to do with her withdrawing her protection from Viserys.
It's the one thing I left out that I felt funny about not mentioning. You're absolutely right, it is a very important thing, but I figured that it would be coming up again in later episodes, and now that Viserys is out of the way, we could address it then. Not a bad suggestion, bringing it up.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
The relationship between Rob Stark and Greyjoy Jr. is a little bit more full of tension than in the books. Supposedly, they were like brothers, but of the same age. That's okay, but so far Theon is too unlikable, when I think you're really supposed to sympathize with him for quite a bit.

Also, the problem with Rob and Sansa being too old is really showing through as they are acting like children... whereas in the books they are pretty much children, growing into adults still. Sansa's character is also getting short shrift because there are no interior monologues, and she is probably the most subtle character to follow, as far as "good intentions gone bad" goes. She's moody and teenage bitchy, and more than a bit of a slow learner, but she's not downright unlikable in the books. I'll keep whining about this until they fix it :)

The scene between Joffre and Sansa I don't remember from the books, but it was an odd addition. Joffre is painful to look at, but they did okay.

Khal Drogo has been really disappointing, but I for the first time liked Harry Lloyd as Viserys in this episode, and Daenerys is slowly getting better. The real stand-out on that side is Mormont, who was really cast well. Still, it's still a little Kiping-esque in its approach to strange cultures, if you know what I mean.

The Aerie has been a little disappointing, it's not as high up or as steep as I had expected. Lysa is downright freaky, as is her son, but wasn't she supposed to be puffy in the books, not skinny as a rail?

Also, a minor pet complaint: Syrio Forel looks like a douche. Sorry. But not as bad as Jon Snow.

Oct 30, 2010
.[B@lL15T1C said:
.]
Susan Arendt said:

Read Full Article
Is it just me or did the direwolves get involved in the wildling fight for bran in the book?

Yea, I'm pretty certain shaggydog and Grey Wind tore the throats out of the two wildlings who were killed by robb in this ep.
Having just passed that point on my re-read in honor of the series, you're almost right. Shaggydog wasn't there, it was Summer and Grey Wind. And Grey Wind killed 2 wildlings. Robb, Theon and Summer each had 1 kill.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Episode 7 is on www.hbogo.com a WEEK EARLY! And yes, it's all as the title "You Win or You Die" is up for. It's amazing!

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Irish Soulface said:
question would having melted gold poured on your head kill you or just severely mess up you face? :p sucks to be Viserys
If I remember from the books, they bend him over backwards, then pour the molten gold over his face, effectively suffocating him. I have no doubt that having any molten metal poured over your head would eventually kill you, but not that quickly.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Have they said the show will end at book 1's end, and has the author said how many more books he's writing? I heard the 5th is to be the last.
This season will end at book one's end, but there'll be at least one more season.

As far as the books, George R.R. Martin has speculated that the series will cover about seven books. He's tentatively named parts six and seven "The Winds of Winter" and "A Dream of Spring," respectively.

meryatathagres

Mar 1, 2011
Shjade said:
Bronn just doesn't come across as a very agile guy in the show. He just seems less-slow than the guy in all the armor. Good enough to win, but not really the same thing.
That is what agile fighting looks like in real life, as opposed to Salvatore's ballet du scimitare. He avoids all swings narrowly but surely. You don't need to dance around your opponent like a drow fairy, you just need to dodge or block by minimal margin.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
meryatathagres said:
Shjade said:
Bronn just doesn't come across as a very agile guy in the show. He just seems less-slow than the guy in all the armor. Good enough to win, but not really the same thing.
That is what agile fighting looks like in real life, as opposed to Salvatore's ballet du scimitare. He avoids all swings narrowly but surely. You don't need to dance around your opponent like a drow fairy, you just need to dodge or block by minimal margin.
Spot on in the comment. If you wanna watch someone fighting an elusive style look no further than Lyoto Machida. He doesn't swing swords but his style serves as a good example. Lots of people tap the guy as a bore but not me as he, after all, gets the job done. I was actually surprised that they didn't have the guy do a backflip in the show.

El_Ganso

Jun 7, 2010
Spectrum_Prez said:
The relationship between Rob Stark and Greyjoy Jr. is a little bit more full of tension than in the books. Supposedly, they were like brothers, but of the same age. That's okay, but so far Theon is too unlikable, when I think you're really supposed to sympathize with him for quite a bit.
I believe that what we are supposed to see in the TV series is the fact that Theon is ready to raise his sword for the Starks, but he knows that doing so will just prove to everyone that he is not a Kraken anymore but a Direwolf (which he doesn't want because he does dream of going home)

Also, Theon was never really likeable in the books :p but you did get a sense of conflicting loyalties, I think they captured that duality pretty well in the show.

In closing, WTB more Jon Snow and Ghost.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
unabomberman said:
meryatathagres said:
Spot on in the comment. If you wanna watch someone fighting an elusive style look no further than Lyoto Machida. He doesn't swing swords but his style serves as a good example. Lots of people tap the guy as a bore but not me as he, after all, gets the job done.
Lyoto Machida is actually more what I was expecting. Anderson Silva's another good one for that: powerhouse but elusive (when he wants to be, anyway). They come off as nimble, where Bronn looks like he's sorta slouching out of the way.

In the end, though, like I said in my first post, it's mainly underwhelming by comparison to what I was expecting from the book. I imagine if I saw the show without having read the scene in advance it probably wouldn't have seemed quite as "off."