Eraserhead: Scariest Horror Movie Ever, or boring tripe?

Clutch

Escapist +
Feb 23, 2021
South Carolina
Country
USA
If you're a fan of horror, and you haven't watched Eraserhead, go watch it now. It won't take long, its an indie film. HBOMAX has it.

It creates incredibly divided opinions, but I personally think it is the most disturbing horror film I've ever seen, and puts a whole different spin on the thought of having children.

Close friends of mine think its boring schlock that deserves none of the credit it is given.

What do you all think?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
It's a great movie and a really damn impressive note to start your career on. I mean, David Lynch made the thing in his 20s, on a budget of 20,000$, over the course of 5 years. He delivered newspapers to fund it. He lived on the set. Jack Nance had that ridiculous haircut for five years.

But even putting its history aside, the mood it creates is fantastic. Almost no other movie really captured that feeling when you're suffering from depression and anxiety to the point your almost paralyzed and everything around you, even the most normal situations, places and people suddenly feel oppressive and overwhelming. Between that brilliant sound design that never lets up, the sets and effects that invoke some pre H.R. Giger corrupted industrial dystopia and Jack Nances constant look of understated terror, it's, despite all its abstractions, extremely relatable to everyone who ever felt alienated from the world around them.

The plot is pretty simple, especially compared to Lynch's later movies, but there's definite substance here. There is a lot of commentary on American family values in there and at points the movie downright satirizes the typical media portrayal of the American family in productions like Leave it to Beaver or Father Knows Best that, I imagine, Lynch grew up with. There's a lot about sexual anxiety, early adulthood, parenthood, the alienation of the common man in industrialized society, poverty I could go on. Hell, I still think there are some strong Christian overtones to the movie, but I may be imagining those.

Either way. Eraserhead is a good fucking movie. Your friend is full of shit.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I like it, although I think it's neither Lynch's best film nor his most frightening. Blue Velvet's my favourite, which I think is partly to do with me first seeing it sitting in the front row of my local indie cinema, now that was an experience.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It's a great movie and a really damn impressive note to start your career on. I mean, David Lynch made the thing in his 20s, on a budget of 20,000$, over the course of 5 years. He delivered newspapers to fund it. He lived on the set. Jack Nance had that ridiculous haircut for five years.

But even putting its history aside, the mood it creates is fantastic. Almost no other movie really captured that feeling when you're suffering from depression and anxiety to the point your almost paralyzed and everything around you, even the most normal situations, places and people suddenly feel oppressive and overwhelming. Between that brilliant sound design that never lets up, the sets and effects that invoke some pre H.R. Giger corrupted industrial dystopia and Jack Nances constant look of understated terror, it's, despite all its abstractions, extremely relatable to everyone who ever felt alienated from the world around them.

The plot is pretty simple, especially compared to Lynch's later movies, but there's definite substance here. There is a lot of commentary on American family values in there and at points the movie downright satirizes the typical media portrayal of the American family in productions like Leave it to Beaver or Father Knows Best that, I imagine, Lynch grew up with. There's a lot about sexual anxiety, early adulthood, parenthood, the alienation of the common man in industrialized society, poverty I could go on. Hell, I still think there are some strong Christian overtones to the movie, but I may be imagining those.

Either way. Eraserhead is a good fucking movie. Your friend is full of shit.
Alternatively the movie failed to resonate with his friend.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No other movie is as good at replicating a nightmare. The whole thing is one big suffocation. So yeah, it's brilliant, but fuck you if you think I'll ever watch it again.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Clutch

Escapist +
Feb 23, 2021
South Carolina
Country
USA
I don't want to watch Eraserhead again. I feel like it physically injures me. I'm a little non-neurotypical and have some synesthesia with sound, so it really gets me bad.

The only other movie that has that effect is Apocalypse Now. I also don't ever want to watch it again.

That said, Eraserhead is genuine horror. The Fly is horror. Alien is horror.

So few things labelled horror actually are.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't want to watch Eraserhead again. I feel like it physically injures me. I'm a little non-neurotypical and have some synesthesia with sound, so it really gets me bad.

The only other movie that has that effect is Apocalypse Now. I also don't ever want to watch it again.

That said, Eraserhead is genuine horror. The Fly is horror. Alien is horror.

So few things labelled horror actually are.
Alien is a movie that I don’t want to watch again because it probably doesn’t hold up. I did rewatch the Thing and found the various iterations of the monster far to plasticy to take seriously, especially the jaws defibrillator scene

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Close friends of mine think its boring schlock that deserves none of the credit it is given.
It's too uniquely brilliant to be widely appreciated.

Some people just want gunfights and car chases. Just smile politely and move on to another topic.