Erin's Razor

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
It's so very very true. The amount of games I have loved and adored over the years that got middling to poor critical reception I swear haha.

Meanwhile I play almost every highly praised 10/10 thing that gets released if it seems to be doing things I like and most of the time I'm let down and bored.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Erin's clearly just been bought out by the Jewish, Illuminati Lizard-men running the AAA garmes industry! Don't believe her cold-blooded, kosher lies!!!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Look, guys, it's this simple.

- If somebody likes a game I hate, they're wrong and obviously on the take from the company.

- If somebody hates a game I like, they're wrong and obviously on the take from other companies.

- If somebody likes a game I like/hates a game I hate, they're completely right and obviously trustworthy.

Of course, this only applies to me, because I am the sole arbiter of what is good and bad- since after all, what I like is good and what I hate is bad. Now if we could all just get on the same page, they'd start making more of what I like and less of what I don't like.

Grumpy Ginger

Jul 9, 2012
Something Amyss said:
Grumpy Ginger said:
You know I do wonder though with many of these games if the disconnect between reviewers and players
You mean a certain kind of player, right? Because looking at user reviews, games like the AC series rarely fall too far off the critic scores. And the one instance where they do appears to be people review bombing in protest of the practices of the game, not the quality of the game itself.

This is why I disagree that reviews are out of touch. The reviews reflect, roughly, the audience.
I definitely mean a certain kind of player which I would count myself as part of. The biggest example for me personally would be bioshock infinite. However I don't mean that the difference is staggering rather its the difference between "greatest game ever" and "a great game which still has its flaws that drag it down". Critical opinion does seem to usually line up with consumer opinion but at the same time there are differences such as with games that were never particularly popular getting heaps of critical praise hence the "best games you've never played lists". As I mentioned there are differences between the average consumer and critic in how they consume games but that isn't a draw back for me. After all you look at movie critics and the movies they praise vs what makes the most money I'm not unhappy that they tend to score poorly "Robosplosions IV the cybergeddonnation" compared with its international gross profit.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Something Amyss said:
This is more rhetorical than anything, because I think of "core" gamers in the sense of being the foundation of the market, and therefore it's the ACs and the CODs who make up the "core" gamer's library. Or, at least, are a noteworthy part of it.
Whilst I broadly agree with you, I'd offer a potential explanation as to why, 'we' might be considered core gamers, and the 'CoD crowd' casuals in this sense.

Yes, there are a lot of sales for Call of Duty or Assassins Creed. There are also a fuckton of subscriptions to World of Warcraft still. However one large potential difference is in how many games each purchases. Call of Duty and Assassins Creed fans may be less likely to purchase a large number of games. Many styles of games simply don't appeal to them, a lot of the time they are less invested in gaming as a whole and have other hobbies to put their money into, and buy these games year on year, reducing the number of different games they can buy simply because they have to buy the same series so often. Whilst a great 'core' market for one or two franchises, if the entire games industry goes after them it'd collapse - as was seen when a lot of games did try to go after them and didn't sell the 5 million copies or W/E required to break even.
On the other hand, gaming enthusiasts with varied tastes may present a better 'core' target for the overall games market. We buy many different games, and often have gaming as one of our more serious hobbies - making us more willing to put more money into it. A number of games enthusiasts will still buy Call of Duty, or Assassins Creed, however they'll also buy Elite Dangerous, the latest Civilization expansion, or the new Dragon Age, whilst the masses that buy Call of Duty tend not to - as shown by the massive difference in sales between these sets of games.
In this sense, the gamers who are the foundation of the market may not be the masses that buy Call of Duty year on year - they are simply a very, very large niche. The foundation of the wider market may rest on the gamers who buy a large number and wide variety of games, rather than on the largest market segment that, whilst when catered to provide very impressive profits for a handful of games, can't be attracted by the wide variety of games that the market offers.

I could be wrong, and this does kind of depend on whether you deride everyone who buys CoD and AC as 'casuals' with bad taste, or whether you only consider the ones who almost exclusively play such games as said 'casuals', but it does potentially explain why another group may be considered the 'core' gamer segment.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The Wooster said:
The frustratingly common insinuations of journos being "on the take" only serve to distract from what I think is a more pressing problem; The growing disconnect between traditional games journalism and, for lack of a better term, "core" gamers. But hey, maybe I'm just part of the system, man.
Reviewers of major publications have always been under pressure; between mutually assured growth (more big games = more game news) ad pay, and the alarming growing trend of closed-door "review camps" complete with NDAs and payola.
I'm not saying all game critics cave to that pressure, but it's something gamers must consider.

...Still, I think you have a point about the disconnect, and I think I have an explanation.
"Core gamers"...just don't really matter as much now.

I think most of us here remember games before the internet.
What was "normal" like then? Games were constantly evolving with the exploding electronics media market.
Not just graphically, but expanding in concept as technical barriers disappeared.

Games were sold as complete experiences then, because there was no "day 1 patching". No "day 1 DLC". No social media, or the albatross that is the service login DRM. The only barrier between you and the game was the start menu, and a loading screen.

Every year, the proportion of that generation shrinks as it must. Our standards were far from perfect and there were plenty of pitfalls we had to learn to avoid as consumers, but those standards worked pretty damn well; enough to lay the foundation for a multi-billion dollar industry.

But what company cares about those standards, when all they have to do is wait for a new batch of suckers that don't know better to blunder into the market? Who will have their back? Who will be their voice?

Someone from the new generation, that's who. That "someone" may be aware of sliding standards second hand, but without first hand experience of what came before, they probably just won't care enough to comment.
At least, until the same happens to them, what happened to us.

Tastes change with each generation; that's nothing new. But at least for "my" generation of gamers the disconnect isn't just a matter of taste, but of industry practice. Every generation of gamers going forward will begin gaming exposed to social media and the internet. They will begin gaming exposed to less-for-more microtransactions and DLC.

That will be their baseline experience, plus whatever crazy new thing eventually breaks the mold (virtual reality?)

EDIT: Or they won't, since gaming is uniquely trapped in an endless purgatory of rhetorical idiocy. It doesn't require a subscription to any conspiracy theory to see that games which receive widespread exposure are also the same AAA tentpoles everyone keeps complaining about being stale.

But I suppose there wouldn't be white-knight sophistry to defend the "pure ethical integrity of gaming journalism" without the endless train of unflattering allusions to conspiracy theories.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I don't know where Mr. Greg Tito is now but I hope he's well, giving Assassin's Creed a perfect score regardless of its quality elsewhere.

Trooper924

Oct 20, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
Look, guys, it's this simple.

- If somebody likes a game I hate, they're wrong and obviously on the take from the company.

- If somebody hates a game I like, they're wrong and obviously on the take from other companies.

- If somebody likes a game I like/hates a game I hate, they're completely right and obviously trustworthy.

Of course, this only applies to me, because I am the sole arbiter of what is good and bad- since after all, what I like is good and what I hate is bad. Now if we could all just get on the same page, they'd start making more of what I like and less of what I don't like.
In my experience, the second one is usually more along the lines of "If somebody hates a game I like, they're wrong and shouldn't be reviewing it because they clearly don't understand what makes it so awesome."

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
The Wooster said:
Erin's Razor

The truth is less exciting.

Read Full Article
Didn't you guys do an early comic making fun of the idea that journos are bribed with fat stacks of cash? I tried finding it but no luck.

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
Something Amyss said:
This is why we need personal opinions out of reviews, even though reviews are heavily reliant on personal opinions.

At the same time, if the type of gamer who enjoys Assassin's Creed isn't what you would define as the "core" gamer, I'm not sure why this is the big issue. I would think, then, that it's the increasing obsolescence of the "core" gamer and the lack of touch with modern gaming that becomes the problem, because no matter what the medium of journalism, a medium which so heavily revolves around franchises like this will find itself with many critics who are positive towards it.

This is more rhetorical than anything, because I think of "core" gamers in the sense of being the foundation of the market, and therefore it's the ACs and the CODs who make up the "core" gamer's library. Or, at least, are a noteworthy part of it.
Yeah, I'm feeling slightly annoyed that lately, of all things, bandwagoning somehow isn't considered safe anymore unless it's dirty muddy brown bullet-flinger #4185. I'd like more things that played like AC other than shadow of mordor. Different themes, different locations, different eras... Or, well, I guess that goes for anything that isn't a simple stamp&press (argh, match-3 and 2048 clones)
also I laughed pretty hard at the comic even if I think it only applies about 85% of the time.
And of course there's that 5% overlap where promotion and shit taste go hand-in-hand... in which case the negative result isn't the high score, but declining to report faults/glitches, or being unable to see them from getting free tchotchkes

there's a secondary side to that that's kind of amusing though. One of the major copycat genres now thanks to Star Citizen and Elite are space sims. And while you would think that such a complicated system is being copycatted...A quick glance to steam reveals the heart of the matter. They make a crazy awesome demo more to pass through greenlight than actually entice the customer, maybe the initial tutorial/access is sweet as hell....aaaand then they abandon it once it's gotten enough impulse-buy sales. Kinetic void is a pretty good example of that. Once they have your money, they KNOW it will take more than one session to win and see the demo/first area, and now it's too late to refund them! Kinda skeevy.

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
This might seem like an obvious and tired thing to some, but I think it's important to have it out there, because there are actually people who genuinely believe that kind of bullshit, using the same kind of logic that the people who think JFK's assassination was an inside job and not just some nut tend to use. If this comic makes just one person consider that they might actually be out of touch with reality, it's worth it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Grumpy Ginger said:
Critical opinion does seem to usually line up with consumer opinion but at the same time there are differences such as with games that were never particularly popular getting heaps of critical praise hence the "best games you've never played lists".
This is something that seems different than what you were describing before, as it happens with every media, and has nothing to do with how much time one has to experience it. I'm a big fan of the Nuno Bettencourt album "Schizophonic," which was a bit of a critical darling at release and even received TV spots based on hype, but garnered like ten sales in the US and led to Bettencourt finishing off his contract with the label via a "best of" down the line. A full listen of the album runs you about sixty minutes, and I doubt any reviewer got only to track four and then wrote a review.

Since the phenomenon you're currently describing transcends media, I think that it's unlikely to be about how the media is experienced. It's more likely that when you're dealing with responses that are grounded in opinion, you're bound to see one group occasionally break with the rest. Of course, we're talking music criticism, where the reviewer isn't necessarily expected to fall in line with the public. Gaming does seem unique in that, where if the score doesn't meet the bases very narrow expectations for a "proper" score, there's hell to pay.

Joccaren said:
Whilst I broadly agree with you, I'd offer a potential explanation as to why, 'we' might be considered core gamers, and the 'CoD crowd' casuals in this sense.
I already break from that in that I consider the core crowd to be casuals. Especially since "core" is generally defined in terms of the genres played, and action and shooters are both part of that. This was the definition commonly used on this site when people wanted to "prove" women weren't half the gaming base.

Call of Duty and Assassins Creed fans may be less likely to purchase a large number of games.
They may be, yes, but they may also be the most broad and diverse gamers. Similarly...

On the other hand, gaming enthusiasts with varied tastes may present a better 'core' target for the overall games market.
I mean, you say that, but many of the self-proclaimed "gaming enthusiasts" on this site have very limited, narrow palates. Simply asserting that one group might be more limited and the other might not be, while technically true, is functionally useless to me.

I could be wrong, and this does kind of depend on whether you deride everyone who buys CoD and AC as 'casuals' with bad taste, or whether you only consider the ones who almost exclusively play such games as said 'casuals', but it does potentially explain why another group may be considered the 'core' gamer segment.
I don't tend to judge people's tastes period, but I'm halfway there.

The problem still remains, we're redefining what a "core" gamer is, redefining what a gamer is, and cutting out a good number of what could effectively be both. Terms like "gaming enthusiast" only serve to muddy the mater, rather than clear the air. And it really looks like a true Scotsman argument, the kind that's been going around for the last three or four years. @phasmal has done some wonderful deconstructions of the diction in the past, but it always seems to break down to including people I want to include and excluding those I want to exclude.

Pinkilicious said:
Yeah, I'm feeling slightly annoyed that lately, of all things, bandwagoning somehow isn't considered safe anymore unless it's dirty muddy brown bullet-flinger #4185. I'd like more things that played like AC other than shadow of mordor. Different themes, different locations, different eras... Or, well, I guess that goes for anything that isn't a simple stamp&press (argh, match-3 and 2048 clones)
Ehhhhh...I'm more or less fine with AC occupying the AC slot in things. I mean, I would like to see them go to more diverse places (Edo Japan is a popular one, and originally they planned on doing a pre-Columbian South American game, IIRC), but I'd rather see people do something different. I mean, my definition of different is probably pretty loose here, as both Saints Row IV and GTA V are sandbox games. In a broad sense, I suppose, but SOM and AC seem awful similar in everything but the skin involved.

And if we're talking like Saints Row v GTA, then yeah, I'd like to see more AC-like games. But I'd like to see fewer "clones" in general. And yeah, I know the first SR was just a GTA clone, so I do acknowledge some leeway. But if there are games that look and play like AC, I'll probably just stick with AC because I'm not that devoted to the style. Unless, of course, they can offer me an actual better experience. That doesn't seem to happen that often.

I mean, yeah, overall it's not so much that the slot is sacred, it's just that you end up with a lot more Guitar Hero v Rock Band fights (though, thankfully, the new versions have somewhat different focuses): the differences tend to mostly come down to whether you like a licky strum bar and five pads or other superficial things.

Speaking of, I really wish the AC/Batman style combat wasn't so prevalent. I like the system, but it doesn't have to be everywhere.

I guess what I'm saying is: when every game plays like Call of Duty, I might as well stick to Call of Duty.

Karadalis said:
What sounds more logic:

Big gaming review sites not wanting to piss off big publishers by giving low scores

Or 60 or so reviewers from different outlets all suffering from "shit taste" syndrome?
When you look at the major purchases, these games are the taste of a significant portion of the base. Why is it so likely that the publications feel the same way? Especially since game reviewers tend to come from gamer ranks, and the gaming community has spent years balking at the kind of criticism that would be expected in other media?

And why is the only proposed alternative something that can so readily be dismissed?

Halla Burrica said:
This might seem like an obvious and tired thing to some, but I think it's important to have it out there, because there are actually people who genuinely believe that kind of bullshit, using the same kind of logic that the people who think JFK's assassination was an inside job and not just some nut tend to use. If this comic makes just one person consider that they might actually be out of touch with reality, it's worth it.
I disagree that it's the same kind of logic. Most people who argue that reviewers are paid off use it as a casual dismissal.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
The Wooster said:
Actually, I think you'll find the opposite happens just as often. When you review games for a living, your judgement of value gets thrown off by the fact that A: you're not spending your own money on a game and B: you become acutely aware of games that waste your time and tend towards more focused (read: shorter) games. That's why games like Gone Home do so well with critics (despite the fact that $20 for a one hour experience is fucking ridiculous) and a lot of reviewers don't really talk about campaign length.
Most reviewers would be smart enough to recognize this disconnect between their own selfish reasons for preferring a short game and the interests of game buyers who overwhelmingly prefer more content for the dollar. I've only ever seen one reviewer demonstrate such a staggering lag of self-awareness that he went on a Twitter rant decrying newer titles as being too long and spinning short games as pro-consumer. That man is Ben Kuchera, who as well all know has never let 5 minutes of thinking stand between him and sharing his latest brain fart.

The Wooster said:
Jeff Gerstmann's Kane and Lynch review and subsequent firing made him a celebrity, established a fuckton of credibility and gave him the clout and influence to start his own website went on to make a fuckton of cash.

Literally every game reviewer wants to be the dude that gave Kane and Lynch a low score 2.0.
What's interesting here is, despite Gerstmann's credibility and Giant Bomb's much touted ("more fair") 5-point rating system, Giant Bomb has been as guilty of publishing inflated ratings as any of the longer standing game review sites. I discussed this in a thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.872132-In-defense-of-the-number-a-note-on-video-game-review-scores] earlier this year.

I only wish that people wouldn't exaggerate so much about the magnitude of the problem - 7/10 is close to the average for most sites whereas everyone acts like it's the lowest score they ever award. Scores trend upwards with the number of critics reviewing a game, and this shouldn't be a surprise at all - indie revolution propaganda aside, higher quality games garner more reviews.

C14N

May 28, 2008
Meh, it's got around 75 Metascore on PS4, that's hardly a "must buy" kind of range.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
It is surprisingly difficult for people not to jump to semi-conspiracies and complete overreaction over a difference in taste.

If a critic points out that (just an example) GTAV is less than perfect, an easy thing to point out with it's pretentious, largely uninsightful attempts at social commentary and it's poor gameplay mechanics, they receive all kind of abuse from fans of the game. There is an old Jim Sterling video about 'hate out of ten' where he discusses that an 8/10 for a game is enough for some people to be furious that a higher score was not given. On the other hand, if a new game in a franchise comes out, and older fans don't like things that are different, people get equally angry. I remember reading furious fans of Civ IV who hated Civ V for having a global, rather than a city-bound, hapiness meter. They stated that fact, as though that alone invalidated all of the gameplay of Civ V. According to some of them, reviewers who liked civ V were simply lying or tasteless noobs who should play a real strategy game like [insert itiration of Civ they liked].

People are angry at reviewers all the time for not giving a game the score or the review they think it should have, be it too high or too low. I am sometimes dissappointed at what I consider a lack of taste in others as well but I'm not going to accuse those who liked metroid prime of being liars and shills just because I didn't like it myself.

ClanCrusher

Constructive Critic
Mar 11, 2010
I think the largest disconnect between video game journalists who write and review for a living and the common consumer comes down to time and money. For a reviewer, they don't have to spend money on a game, and the time they spend on it is part of their job. Not that I'm disagreeing with review copies or reviewers getting things for free mind you, just that the general consumer is likely going to be a lot harder on a game that has to make up the seventy-something dollars we just blew on it and has to dedicate a portion of their free time.

And for those who say that money shouldn't be an issue when regarding the quality of a game, let me ask you a simple question. Would you have looked at Limbo, Papers Please, Gone Home, Thomas Was Alone, or the Stanley Parable with the same favoritism if you had to pay sixty dollars for the experience?