Ernest Gygax Jr.'s The Marmoreal Tomb Brings "Gygaxian" D&D to Kickstarter

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Ernest Gygax Jr.'s The Marmoreal Tomb Brings "Gygaxian" D&D to Kickstarter

[kickstarter=1709227718/ernest-gary-gygax-jrs-marmoreal-tomb-campaign-star]
Ernest Gary Gygax Jr's campaign starter The Marmoreal Tomb has already jumped past its $20,000 funding goal with a month left to go.

In the realm of tabletop role-playing, few names carry as much weight as Gygax. The co-creator of GP Adventures.

The latest of his adventures, The Marmoreal Tomb, recently hit <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1709227718/ernest-gary-gygax-jrs-marmoreal-tomb-campaign-star>Kickstarter and, in the days since, has been making considerable waves among role-playing inclined contributors. Set in Gygax Jr's own Hobby Shop Dungeon campaign setting, The Marmoreal Tomb drops player characters into the labyrinthine ruins of a dwarven society destroyed by greed (and giants). The <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/kickstarter>Kickstarter began accepting contributions last week and has already exceeded its $20,000 funding goal. It's a success that Gygax Jr. would likely attribute, at least in part, to the attractiveness of the campaign's flexible nature. "The way this module differs from many modern offerings is that it goes back to the core design conceits of the early TSR modules. Namely, adventure locales you can plug into your campaign or story line however you want," he said, speaking to The Escapist. "[It's] a web of non-linear design where the player-characters can adventure any which way they want, which in turn means the players, in the way they choose to explore the world, are driving the way the game unfolds."

What this amounts to in terms of content is a gigantic dungeon illustrated by Gygax's partner Benoist Poire and complete with dozens of unique encounters that DMs can plug into their games as they see fit. Add in a pair of modular expansions as well as stat blocks and guidelines for use with "different genres and RPGs" and you have a hefty product with a lot of value for players old and new alike. It is perhaps worth noting that The Marmoreal Tomb was designed around "first edition compatible rules." Even so, its older roots should only serve as a small barrier to gamers hoping to play it with more modern rule-sets. This will be especially true if its fundraising campaign reaches $30,000 and unlocks its next stretch goal, which will add in full conversions to 5th Edition D&D and Pathfinder. Considering that it's already raised more than $29,500 and still has 29 days to go, we feel safe in saying that it's probably going to get there. Check it out if sounds like someone that would interest you and let us know what you think.
[gallery=4484]
Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1709227718/ernest-gary-gygax-jrs-marmoreal-tomb-campaign-star>Kickstarter

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
2004 was it? Didn't think it was that long ago.

Anyhoo...seems odd that he needs a kickstarter to do something like this.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The Marmoreal Tomb drops player characters into the labyrinthine ruins of a dwarven society destroyed by greed (and giants).
What, no zombie elephants, insanity, lava-powered doomsday devices, and/or demons? I am disappointed, Gygax!

Regardless, I'm usually not one for pre-made adventures. I like making my own adventures. Given, I'm only a new GM so they're not the best kind or most creative of adventures yet, but one grows and all that. Speaking of, that reference above gave me quite a few awesome ideas.