Erotic Thriller Catherine Gameplay Detailed, Remains Bizarre

Ekim Takusan

Nov 13, 2010
Wow... just wow. ATLUS you continue to fill me with the pure feeling of 'What in the Hell is going on here, and where can I sign up?" With all the great press this game is getting here in the U.S. it's going to really suck if Catherine turns out to be a Japan only release. Or, if I may dare to even blaspheme in such a way, it turns out to be a bad game.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Wow, I'd love to try it. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad, this one seems like a fresh breeze. I have no idea what the game is like, that's enough to make me want a ticket. Western developers take notice, please.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wat.
This.......actually does NOT surprise me.

We will just aft to see how it turns out but i actually don't have high standards for the Action part of the game.

JakBandit2208

Jun 11, 2009
Mackheath said:
...Whoever supplies the acid and magic mushrooms for these guys needs to give me their number.
Seriously, but this is why I love Atlus there not afraid to try something new and different...no matter how crazy it sounds.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Stubee said:
emeraldrafael said:
Stubee said:
IF thats true, then why was Persona 3 Fes released on the PS2 AND 360? I'm pretty sure Atlus has a deal with sony to produce Persona series games. I dont think P5 will be on the 360, but thats just me, since its never been on a microsoft system.
Persona 3 FES wasn't released on the 360 so im not sure what your point was there.

Also, as i said before, they have announced a Persona game on a non Sony console (the 3DS). Thus proving the Persona series is not exclusive to the Playstation. Catherine being the same publisher and devs seems to make a strong case for an SMT game on the 360 at least. For all we know the 3DS Persona game could be Persona 5 and could be exclusive.
It wont be persona five. The company would immediately alienate much of its Persona fan base if they put a game that has always been console and know for long deep involving gameplay on a handheld without it being a remake or port. So if it is, it wouldnt be exclusive.

and thats what I'm saying, The 360 was a new and powerful console when Persona 3 and persona 3 fes came out, so Atlus could have had every chance to put it on since the 360 had a huge market, fan base, and many atlus/SMT fans to sell to.

MOTHERfan42

Oct 28, 2010
So Catherine's not an RPG? I'm slightly disappointed, but I'll wait for reviews nonetheless. Hopefully it being on the 360 means the eventual Persona 5 will make it on Microsoft's machine too.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
That's pretty awesome. Is anyone else getting Q*bert flashbacks, the connection is only visual but I still smell a bit of inspiration.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Stubee said:
Not was i was expecting! Could be cool though :)

BTW with this being released on the 360, do you think theres any chance Persona 5 will be on the 360 as well?
Rumors are it will be PSP or PSP2. can't remember the source for this so take it with a grain of salt.

OT: This game just keeps getting more and more interesting. I'm looking forward to what kind of conversations will be had with said sheepmen. Wonder what kind of personalities they'll have.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Must... Have ... This... Game!

If they make this a Japan exclusive I may have to choke a *****,
Odds are even it will or won't get an EU relese but If it doesn't get an english transltion at all...
Well I don't want to think about it.

Come on uncensored uk release, it's whats heathiest for all involved.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
For a game that's not even situated for an NA release there sure is a lot of news on the escapist about it!

Mastern56

Jun 9, 2010
I don't know... I just hope the gameplay doesn't get too stale. I can't see much variety without new types of blocks being introduced throughout the game, although the weird man-sheep people seem kinda.... cool I guess?

Mastern56

Jun 9, 2010
Jake Martinez said:
This game gets way too much press for how obviously bad it's going to be.
It's either gonna be really good or really bad... it just depends on how good the story is and how involving the action portion of the game will turn out. Give it a chance.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Sounds like a cool way to tell a more "normal" story. Few games would really focus on a guy's relationship woes or spend a significant amount of time in a particular bar. The platforming dream element allows for what one might expect from a video game--a more typical action experience--but it gives it a psychological context, which should ultimately add to the story.

I have no idea how this game will turn out, but it sounds cool in theory. It always seems like games have trouble addressing things realistically. We get plenty of action and fantasy, but trying to tell what on the surface would seem like a more mundane story isn't attempted very often. Other mediums have successfully tackled the experience of daily life in an entertaining way, so it'd be cool to see some more ambitious video games do something similar. Of course throwing demons in the mix can't hurt either :p

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Honestly... that sounds pretty awful. I dunno, maybe they'll pull it off somehow, but until I see something more encouraging than that it's simply unusual I'm not gonna get too excited. Originality is all well and good, but I'd rather have something fun, and I haven't seen anything that makes me think this game is likely to be fun.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Jake Martinez said:
This game gets way too much press for how obviously bad it's going to be.
+1 for this. Epic Mickey actually sounded sort of good, but turned out a flop. This doesn't even get close to that.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
this game keeps getting weirder and weirder and I love every second of it. Plus it's probably going to be one of the few games where sexual content is done RIGHT