ESA: Today is a "Bright Day" for Parents

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Dastardly said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
I think I get what you are trying to say, I'm just pointing out that a law that respects the constitution would be very different from the type of law that was ruled on in this case.
I agree--you do get what I'm trying to say. Any law proposed would have to consider this newly-minted interpretation of the Constitutions stance on free speech, and as such that law would have to be drastically different from the one dealt with in this case.

So there's no need for us to already start warming up our paranoia engine because of this perceived "opening" in the concurrent opinion. The decision itself has ensured that any future legislation would have to be far more sensible than what was proposed in this case.

We have a tendency to pre-overreact to anything we see that could potentially be critical of gaming, and I think that alone makes us an easy target. Folks used to call it having a "Punch Me Face"--the look of someone going around looking for a fight, inviting trouble.
Hmm, that makes sense. I may even untie this noose and break out the champagne instead :).

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Parents groups may be complaining about the Supreme Court's decision [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111300-Supreme-Court-Rules-in-Favor-of-Videogames] to strike down the California statue limiting sales of violently deviant games to minors...
Damn those California statues... standing all statuesque and shit.

OT: I'm glad the Supreme Court decided this way (as I'm sure nearly all of you are as well).

Hidden topic: What's your favorite kind of statue? Bronze? Stone? Marshmallow? Why?

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
W-wait...We WON!? How i've been Waiting for this Day! The time of fear and loathing is over, now it's time to...PARTY:

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
While I like the outcome, I'm just going to hide over here until the ESA goes back to whatever they were doing, because some of their decisions make me sad.

My favorite statue is made out of cheese.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
"For parents, the Court's decision very clearly states that they are to be in control - not the state - for the content that is consumed in their homes."

If that was what they wanted, they'd be happy.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
"Any State that passes a bill that tries to regulate videogames based on content is just asking to pay my legal fees, in the long run," Smith said.

And that's why he wins.