Escape to the Movies: 42

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
1. Why was the link to the video broken in the beginning?
2. Y0u could have done Oblivion, seeing as it's made by the same guy that brought us TRON: Legacy and features Tom Cruise as himself and Morgan Freeman as a guy who narrates stuff. Also, it looks completely awesome, with great visuals and a good soundtrack/score.
(or did that not open in the states?)

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
*sees the snippet about Bank of America*

Wait...WHAT?!? No wonder BoA is having problems right now! Their advertisers are phenominal MORONS!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I really don't like sports movies, they always seem to portray the ideas behind competing wrong to me. Eyeshield 21 is the only sports series I can say I enjoyed, how you win is important but win you MUST!

EDIT: Last pic was way to big.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Calibanbutcher said:
1. Why was the link to the video broken in the beginning?
2. Y0u could have done Oblivion, seeing as it's made by the same guy that brought us TRON: Legacy and features Tom Cruise as himself and Morgan Freeman as a guy who narrates stuff. Also, it looks completely awesome, with great visuals and a good soundtrack/score.
(or did that not open in the states?)
Oblivion opens in the US next week.

Back on 42. Wow, i didn't recognize Harrison Ford at all.

Apr 28, 2008
Advocating cell phone use in a movie theater is a type of evil I just cannot comprehend. Just proves that EA's win of worst company was ill-deserved.

I mean seriously, if you use your cell phone in a movie theater during a movie, you are an asshole. And showing how awesome it is in a commercial... why that makes you the biggest asshole of them all.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Even in this short clip, we see the subtle genius of Harrison Ford.

The man is an uncanny character actor who disappears into his role, the exceptions being the ones where he was showcased as the handsome protagonist (Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan) but that's no fault of his.

A film icon (I embarrassingly have forgotten exactly who) once said that the way in which Ford is so good at his craft, is that he appears to be just playing himself, despite being in a wide range of roles. In an industry other than acting that would be called "making it look effortless".

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Considering Trance and The Place Beyond The Pines both opened in my neck of the woods I'll be seeing those.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
It makes me sad that Scary Movie 5 exists. I honestly thought this period in film history was over.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
With that title, there is got to be a Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy joke worth doing around here...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
plugav said:
It makes me sad that Scary Movie 5 exists. I honestly thought this period in film history was over.
So did most everyone.

Also, I didnt see the BoA commercial, but it does actually say they dont advocate doing so, right?

*looks up on youtube*

Huh... cant find it...

Tohron

Apr 3, 2010
Seems Bank of America is bitter about losing the Golden Poo to EA for the second time in a row, and are taking it out on moviegoers.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
plugav said:
it is never going to end. Scary movie was just funny enough to be just popular enough to make that type of parody a genre in and of itself as long as the genre it's parodying keeps getting made. Scary movies(genre) keep coming out we'll keep getting scary movies(shitty comedic films). i'm surprised Superheros movies haven't got more treatment like this.

OT; I might go see this movie just because i don't really know a whole lot about Jackie Robinson and i really like baseball movies. I know he was the player that broke the color barrier, i know he was really good at baseball and i know his number was 42, beyond that i don't know a whole lot and have never looked at his Wikipedia page. I would like to know if the movie ever touches on anything else. I mean Harrison Ford looks like he's really working that role and i know nothing about the manager of the dodgers at the time so it may be worth seeing for that.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
hermes200 said:
With that title, there is got to be a Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy joke worth doing around here...
I'm not sure what you're asking for here... but at least we know the answer.

OT: Yeah, I'm not interested. Sports movies in general don't interest me and I know what I want to know about the struggle for rights in that time period.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
WanderingFool said:
plugav said:
So did most everyone.

Also, I didnt see the BoA commercial, but it does actually say they dont advocate doing so, right?

*looks up on youtube*

Huh... cant find it...
Neither could Bob. Apparently BoA has been going rampant on the DMCA teardowns regarding it.