Escape to the Movies: 42

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
idodo35 said:
well no one made a hitchikers guide joke... im dissapointed
They did on the FB comments, but yeah..

Oh, did anyone get the cartoon at 2:05? I remember the imagery, but can't for the life of me remember the show...

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
GamemasterAnthony said:
*sees the snippet about Bank of America*

Wait...WHAT?!? No wonder BoA is having problems right now! Their advertisers are phenominal MORONS!
Seeing that, it makes me wish those spoof Orange ads we had over here about the phone inspectors were actually true. Except perhaps without the poorly trained canine unit. Can imagine how annoying that would be, given that your average phone these days lights up like a beacon when in use and is therefore kind of hard to ignore in the middle of a film.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Pugiron said:
Calibanbutcher said:
1. Why was the link to the video broken in the beginning?
2. Y0u could have done Oblivion, seeing as it's made by the same guy that brought us TRON: Legacy and features Tom Cruise as himself and Morgan Freeman as a guy who narrates stuff. Also, it looks completely awesome, with great visuals and a good soundtrack/score.
(or did that not open in the states?)
Only a very stupid person would think this movie will be any good. War of the Worlds.

Well the egg is on my face now.
I guess one bad movie proves without a doubt that nothing after that could possibly any good, right?
Even if the people involved aren't the same, safe for the main protagonist.
(For further proof of this theory, see "Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness" and the new "Tomb Raider".)

Also I should elaborate:
"looks awesome" as in:
The visuals and the overall style are awesome.
The itself movie is above average, but not "awesome".

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
People + phones + missing brains + cinema = really making me angry when combined... although I'm almost fine with phones during the 20 min of commercials, but after that shut up, sit down eat your popcorn and watch the movie! Should be a law.

And well 42 a movie might be ok, but there's others more interesting showing that I haven't seen yet.. like oblivion....

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Seracen said:
idodo35 said:
They did on the FB comments, but yeah..

Oh, did anyone get the cartoon at 2:05? I remember the imagery, but can't for the life of me remember the show...
Gargoyles!

Jul 5, 2009
Calibanbutcher said:
2. Y0u could have done Oblivion, seeing as it's made by the same guy that brought us TRON: Legacy and features Tom Cruise as himself and Morgan Freeman as a guy who narrates stuff. Also, it looks completely awesome, with great visuals and a good soundtrack/score.
My friend was at the opening for that last week and met tom cruise. Apparently it was so awful that no one clapped at the end and the director, who was scheduled to give a talk after, went home.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I know of a good reason why people SHOULD go see this moviee. Because then they won't watch Scary Movie 5. Which will essentially be a bunch of youtube parody clips spliced together.

See 42, reward a decent movie. One that at least aims to be entertaining and tell a historical tale. Shun Scary Movie 5 because it represents the demographic that would be purged for the greater good if it was up to me.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Death_Korps_Kommissar said:
Calibanbutcher said:
My friend was at the opening for that last week and met tom cruise. Apparently it was so awful that no one clapped at the end and the director, who was scheduled to give a talk after, went home.
Wow, well, I stand by my statement that the movie looks very nice, great design, nice cinematography, etc, but apparently that does not a good movie make in the end.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
The Wayans Brothers actually starred in a good movie once, it was not directed by them though.

Hollywood Shuffle
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093200/

This is where the idea of "Scary Movie" came from if you wanted to do a Terminator and travel back in time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfWc47SEPA0

Winky Dinky Dog!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msbo6TiwA5A

On the mobile phone thing, I went to a screening of the Neverending Story recently and they made an announcement over the loudspeaker telling people not to use their iPhone/iPad during the movie as some people think the rules do not apply to them. I almost slapped someone's iPhone out of their hand recently when they took a phone of the screen during the movie (it would blow out any way and you would not get a decent photo.)

andersgeek

Jul 6, 2010
I already love it how, in a year's time, the Paisley comment will not make sense -- unless you dig deep, very deep into your controversies memory. :D

idodo35 said:
True. Though, most people will likely have thought of that upon reading the title, anyway.

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
Tomb Raider isn't THAT good. It's a mild distraction at best, and at worst it's a poor Uncharted clone. It's a muddy Uncharted with worse visuals because it's a cross-platform release, and the redesign of Lara doesn't mean anything because it's not used in any meaningful way, like Jason Brody's white-bread character in Far Cry 3 or Cpt. Walker in Spec Ops: The Line. Lara just switches from being vulnerable to being bad-ass arbitrarily, and it really brought down the whole experience for me.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Wait. This has nothing to do with Douglas Adams... :-(
Also, I'm apparently late.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Not that this was an unenjoyable episode or anything, it's nice to have some less advertised movies reviewed for a change. But I'm still of the opinion that it's perfectly fine to review something that's a week old if it's by far more interesting than anything that comes out this week.

I very rarely see a movie the first week it's out in theaters, which half of the time is like a month after the US release anyway. And even if I do, like you've said yourself, only a small part of the reason I watch reviews is to receive consumer advice. Just hearing an interesting, well articulated opinion on a movie is enough for me, even if it's one or two (or more, for that matter) months old.

I don't know, maybe I'm in the minority on thinking that...

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
BOOM headshot65 said:
Can we please shut up about the Brad Paisley song?
I actually came in to ask about that, because I don't listen to country music and therefore don't get the joke. What's everyone talking about?

britishdantheman said:
Nothing of note coming out? To the Wonder is out; Beyond the Pines is out. Don't give me that, Bob.
I'm pretty sure he said nothing major is out. I've never heard of to the Wonder, and I don't think Beyond the Pines is showing in my town, so maybe they don't count as major (I don't honestly know what the defining quality of "major" is in this instance).

Kumagawa Misogi said:
"Hmm, it says the film starts at 11:00." I buy a ticket, and go and sit through twenty minutes of adverts and ten minutes of trailers.
Write a letter (not an e-mail, not a Tweet, but a letter) of complaint to your theater's manager. I did, and I got both the chains in town to stop playing advertisements after the printed start time of the film. They still play trailers after the printed beginning time, but since I like trailers, that doesn't bother me.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
JimB said:
BOOM headshot65 said:
Can we please shut up about the Brad Paisley song?
I actually came in to ask about that, because I don't listen to country music and therefore don't get the joke. What's everyone talking about?
Popular country singer Brad Paisley [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Paisley] Recently released his new Album "Wheelhouse" where, in a first for him, he touches on some hard topics facing America right now. This includes Pride in ones home, but without shuting out the world [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du5O2mO9FKk], Domestic abuse, Religion [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ1qVvRjUZg], and others. One of the songs was a duet with rapper LL Cool J called Accidental Racist [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSurzeGvPrQ], where the intent of the songs lyrics was "We need to stop living in the past and try to understand eachother and work toward a better tomorrow." So of course, it took 20 seconds for that meaning to blow up in thier face. "RAWR!! PAISLEY RACIST BECAUSE SOUTHERN FLAG!!! COOL J TRAITER FOR HELPING WITH THIS!!!1! RAWR!! RAWR!!!" sums up the reaction rather well. The largest complaint was that Paisley had the gaul to say that the Southern Flag was anything other than a symbol of Racism (because South and KKK, see rant below for further details)

Heres is a thing ABC did on it, if you need more. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a_-JIr6MUs]

So, one of the biggest compaints seems to be him defending the so Called "Confederate Flag" because it is a symbol of the south, which......it kind of is. But the reason everyone seems to tie it to Racism is a) a simplistic view of the Civil War being over Slavery, which while one of the reasons, was FAR from the only one and b) Just like the Nazis hijacked the Swastika for thier own evil dispite it originally having other meanings, the KKK stole the "Confederate" flag for thier own organization.

As for the Flag itself, I personally wouldnt bother with it. To me, it just looks ugly. I mean, look at it:

Just doesnt seem that interesting to me.

Oh, Im sorry. Were you expecting this one:

No, While that is what most people refer to as the "Confederate Flag" or the "Southern Flag", that is ACTUALLY the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, the army commanded by Robert E. Lee. Which is why everyone down there uses it. Lee was and is still now a Hero to the South. This is also the reason that the KKK hijacked the flag (which is ironic since Lee hated slavery and believed it should be abolished). Personally, and this may be just because I live in the Midwest, I have never met anyone who believes the flag to be racist. Having a rebel attitude, yeah. But not racist.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
Never expected to see a reference to The Pack from Gargoyles in a review of a movie based on Jackie Robinson, bravo. Also, is that Dwight Howard in the car with Jackie?