Escape to the Movies: After Earth

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
After Earth

M Night Shyamalan might really want to look into a change of careers.

Watch Video

Dec 14, 2009
Thought this was gonna suck.

And Grumpy cat the movie?

The fuck?

I made a better movie last night, when I ate a pizza in front of my dog with this playing the background.

Fucking Oscar level shit right there.

Jan 12, 2012
That's disappointing. I understand that Will Smith is trying to break his son into the movie business, but it's hard enough acting without having the additional baggage of playing the son of your father. Give him a different actor to be Dad, one he can view as a character, and I think it would be better.

P.S. Was anyone else completely unaware that Shyamalan was involved with this movie, despite seeing a dozen commercials?

cyvaris

May 10, 2011
So.....I was....wrong...there's no twist? There's no "this was Earth in the past" ending?

That...that is depressing.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
I had no idea Shyamalan was involved either, guess marketing knows how much of a box-office drain it'd be to crow about that so avoided mentioning it, showing at least someone involved in the movie has some smarts.

Django03

Jul 26, 2008
Obviously they had to go with Cypher Raige because Edge Maverick had already been used in Star Ocean 4.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
The MST3K thing was what I thought of at first too.

Who knows how M Night Shyamalan can keep making movies, they are not even laughably bad so they can be taken as a joke, just depressing.

I am not sure what, if anything is going to be the stand out for movies in the first part of this century, might start watching more of the movies from the Warner Archive Collection/Fox Classics/et al and see how they made movies back then.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Blunderboy said:
Well at least you reminded me of one of my favourite MST3K episodes.

XD I was thinking the same damn thing! Thanks for posting that.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
First thing, that name sound like it a gamertag name.

Second thing, this was unexpected as I thought he was going to review The Hangover Part 3 which either way was a lose lost situation for him.

Third thing, as far as I've seen or not paying attention enough, they pretty much never mention M Night was directing this movie. In saying I know they did for one of the first trailers as I clearly remember staying away from the film once his name appear on it.

Fourth thing, I hoping next week review is The Internship (just want his opinion on it as I really hate the premise to that film).

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
cyvaris said:
So.....I was....wrong...there's no twist? There's no "this was Earth in the past" ending?

That...that is depressing.
But it not having a twist, IS THE TWIST!

a745

Mar 8, 2012
Hahaha, and to think I was going to watch this.

I sure hope Now You See Me gets reviewed, too.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
That's disappointing. I understand that Will Smith is trying to break his son into the movie business, but it's hard enough acting without having the additional baggage of playing the son of your father. Give him a different actor to be Dad, one he can view as a character, and I think it would be better.

P.S. Was anyone else completely unaware that Shyamalan was involved with this movie, despite seeing a dozen commercials?
That kinda shocked me when I heard that line. I doubt it was publicly pronounced because Shyamalan (sic) is basically synonymous for bad directing. Hell, if I saw that he was behind the movie earlier, I would have told everyone that would listen to me to not see this movie.

*topic* I'm definitely gonna give this movie a pass.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
was interested in watching it when i saw the trailer of it. well, sounds more like a movie to rent.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I get why Smith turned down Django. Smith is really not the actor who wants to be in a movie that drops the N word over 100 times, and he would have to say 1/4th of them.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
When I heard Bob weeping in the pre-opening credits, I though "Oh God, No! After Earth broke Bob! GOD DAMN YOU, M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN!!"

No surprise that this movie was going to suck. M. Night has fallen so far from grace, he's gonna need a rocket ship to get back on top and I highly doubt there is enough fuel to pull that off. Him and Will Smith are just some of the actors I can think of that need take some time off from movies and get their shit together (cannot believe Will passed up Django Unchained). As for junior Will Smith, he needs to take time off if only to either (a) take some acting lessons or (b) reconsider his path in life (other than trying to live up to his father's career).

Plus, the grumpy cat movie news is nothing new. Hollywood these days is trying to find any material that will sustain them. Hell, someone bought the rights from Lloyd Kaufman to remake the Troma classics like Toxic Avenger and Class of Nuke 'em High.