Escape to the Movies: Argo

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
MovieBob said:
Argo

MovieBob gives us a look at what events led up to Argo.

Watch Video
thanks for the complete lack of "spoiler warning" there, you dick.

i saw the advert for this and thought 'wow, i'm genuinely interested to see that', and DIDN'T look it up online to see if it was true, because i DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

ten seconds into your fucking video: oh, ok, everyone makes it out fine. well, that's that movie all wrapped up, fuck all point me spending £10 to go and see it now is there?

are you aware of toy story 3? do you realize that the best moment of that film was when the main characters DIDN'T die? because you were sat there thinking 'wow, this really is it, all that sadness, hopelessness, everything, it was spot on. they can't make it out.', and then, when suddenly they did make it, you were euphoric.

the thrill of a movie like Argo is that the odds are almost impossibly stacked against them, they are almost certain to die. you watch it hoping they can get out, or find someway to make their loss count for something.

thanks for completely fucking ruining that.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
HotFezz8 said:
MovieBob said:
Argo

Watch Video

i saw the advert for this and thought 'wow, i'm genuinely interested to see that', and DIDN'T look it up online to see if it was true, because i DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

ten seconds into your fucking video: oh, ok, everyone makes it out fine. well, that's that movie all wrapped up, fuck all point me spending £10 to go and see it now is there?

are you aware of toy story 3? do you realize that the best moment of that film was when the main characters DIDN'T die? because you were sat there thinking 'wow, this really is it, all that sadness, hopelessness, everything, it was spot on. they can't make it out.', and then, when suddenly they did make it, you were euphoric.

the thrill of a movie like Argo is that the odds are almost impossibly stacked against them, they are almost certain to die. you watch it hoping they can get out, or find someway to make their loss count for something.

i want to take this on from just frustration a little to something that might be useful;

spoiler warning, that's all you had to say, once, spoiler warning. I'm pissed because i now in all likelihood won't even watch this movie. there's no point, yes there could be good scenes, good performances etc. what's the point? i know how it ends.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Okay, Bob, you know that thing at the end when you wrote "AN MMA Fighter"? That's technically incorrect, as it should be "A MMA Fighter." You didn't do that though. Thank. You.

I really hate when spelling conventions get in the way of phonetics. You would say it "An em-em-ay fighter", and I feel it should be spelled as such. I don't care if it's a consonant, it's pronounced "em".

...I literally am just commenting because of that. Thanks, and please don't change it.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
HotFezz8 said:
HotFezz8 said:
MovieBob said:
Argo

Watch Video

i want to take this on from just frustration a little to something that might be useful;

spoiler warning, that's all you had to say, once, spoiler warning. I'm pissed because i now in all likelihood won't even watch this movie. there's no point, yes there could be good scenes, good performances etc. what's the point? i know how it ends.
You're amazingly angry for no good reason. If you go see the movie, which you still should because it's an amazingly good movie, they proclaim within about ten seconds of showing the title that it's "BASED ON A TRUE STORY". So your anger is completely unjustified.

Seriously, go see it. I actually enjoyed it better knowing how it would end.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
Ftaghn To You Too said:
You're amazingly angry for no good reason. If you go see the movie, which you still should because it's an amazingly good movie, they proclaim within about ten seconds of showing the title that it's "BASED ON A TRUE STORY". So your anger is completely unjustified.

Seriously, go see it. I actually enjoyed it better knowing how it would end.
No shit, I didn't need to go to the movie for that, it said so in the trailer.

And it was based on a true story. So? So all movies based on a true story have a happy ending? Ridiculous.

I'm pissed because the thrill of a story involving people escaping from a entirely hostile country full of people who unequivocally want to kill them lies in the fact they are very unlikely to survive. Knowing they survive sucks the enjoyment out of it as much as knowing Bruce Willis was dead would have ruined the sixth sense.

Chances are you enjoyed it better knowing how it would end because (I'm guessing, I don't know you from Adam) it relieved you from the need to be worried for any of the characters. You weren't missing subtle nuances whilst you looked over their shoulders for the people who might get them.

I'm also pissed because now the film has been effectively ruined I'm not going to spend my money going to see it. That means I'll wait for it to come out on the internet, then probably forget about that as well by the time there is a decent copy to watch, and so will have missed the movie entirely. I'm not a big enough Affleck fan to chase his movies down, either they grab me and pull me into the cinema, or they pass me by.

Nov 24, 2010
he forgot the invasion of the dom rep (operation power pack) -> civil war
Laotian Civil War
Nicaraguan Revolution and contra war in 60 and 70 (ca. 40.000 death)
the iran-iraq war is logical "conxclusion" to amerikas messing around, i mean, you KNOW where chomenei and saddam were coming from? you kno which force gave them weapons and trained them (similar to the mudjaheddin in afghanistan..)
interesting is the invasion of panama-first they love the sick bloody dictator but thenm, as this realtionship begings to cool down, they invade the country and everything is back to fine..

(btw as i said bloody dictator, do you know who salvador allende was? Operation FUBELT, anybody? another of these democratically elected guys which were in the way of the u.s.a they thought a bloody dictator like pinochet would be much nicer, i mean, omore usefull. forget about the 30.000 victims of torture, the 3000 desapparecidos... what good is for good ol U.S is good for everybody, rite?

and the president with the nobel proze for peace, which mastered the "Killing, aerm, assasinationg of SUSPECTS without trial or conviction" (well, the right for a fair trial is only for white americans..it seems.)and using of torture.. well its so fucked up, its almost satirical if it weren´t so sad..

well if i´d search i´d find more. but im angry enough and my english gets worse

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
trty00 said:
Psykoma said:
I know that a lot of canadian journalists are bitching about the canadian involvement being underplayed, even after the post-production fix that Affleck made.

But I'm still really excited to see this movie.
Look, I know that I'm late to the party, but I just want to point out that my country has every right to be upset about our role in a serious crisis like this being severely downplayed. I appreciate Affleck's post-production fix, but don't be so callous.
Agreed. While I thought the movie was very entertaining, but they pretty much portrayed the Canadian involvement as "please save us America!" In reality, it was a Canadian initiative and Ken Taylor did way more than just offer the Americans shelter. Hell, Jimmy Carter himself even said that 90% of the contributions to the plan were Canadian. Ken Taylor was easily the biggest hero in the events.
Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie a lot (although it's not in my top 5 movies of the year) I just wish Hollywood wouldn't always do the "Murrica, fuck ya" approach. The annoying thing is that the general public is going to take everything that happened in this movie as fact.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
trty00 said:
RedDeadFred said:
trty00 said:
Psykoma said:
I know that a lot of canadian journalists are bitching about the canadian involvement being underplayed, even after the post-production fix that Affleck made.

But I'm still really excited to see this movie.
Look, I know that I'm late to the party, but I just want to point out that my country has every right to be upset about our role in a serious crisis like this being severely downplayed. I appreciate Affleck's post-production fix, but don't be so callous.
Agreed. While I thought the movie was very entertaining, but they pretty much portrayed the Canadian involvement as "please save us America!" In reality, it was a Canadian initiative and Ken Taylor did way more than just offer the Americans shelter. Hell, Jimmy Carter himself even said that 90% of the contributions to the plan were Canadian. Ken Taylor was easily the biggest hero in the events.
Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie a lot (although it's not in my top 5 movies of the year) I just wish Hollywood wouldn't always do the "Murrica, fuck ya" approach. The annoying thing is that the general public is going to take everything that happened in this movie as fact.
I thought the movie was quite good as well, but that was just a problem I had with it. Especially the bit where they actually say: "Oh, just say the Canadians did it." I mean, I'm not the kind of guy who hates a movie if it's historically innacurate, but that's just irritating.
I know. They made us look like credit taking assholes when in reality it was 90% our operation.