Escape to the Movies: Avengers: Assemble!

Slimshad

Sep 16, 2009
Just letting you know Bob, they said Tony Stark's Father helped with the Manhattan Project. That means HE HAD TO BE ALIVE during world war to, and he was one of the top scientists there. Just thought I'd let you know, though probably somebody else has said this already.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Time to start brushing up on my Marvel. Without tracking down 100s of comics. Anyone have a good reference site?
I have this, and its so good it almost makes the Marvel universe seem coherent
http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Encyclopedia-Daniel-Wallace/dp/0756623588/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270917617&sr=8-2

Keith_F

Mar 3, 2010
I was actually hoping Bob would talk a little more about the choice of directors. One thing that has me really excited about this movie is that Marvel keeps picking creative teams that really suit the individual characters. Getting Fav to direct Iron Man was a great start since Tony Stark could basically be written into Swingers without missing a beat. Then you have a director known for lavish Shakespearean productions assigned to the epic fantasy character and a director who's an old hand at vintage pulp characters handling Cap. It makes me think each project will actually be a concerted effort to present the characters in a fitting style.

But that just raises the question again, how the hell do you combine these three stories into one cohesive project? I guess it would have to be something that truly embraced the colourful insanity behind the superhero comics, something that just runs away with the fun, over-the-top notion without breaking stride. So who do you get to direct something like that?

Any thoughts Bob?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Antacid said:
MowDownJoe said:
lead sharp said:
Has kick ass not come out in the us?
Nope. Not until next week.
This video would be completely different if moviebob had seen Kikc-Ass first - in fact it might not even have occured to him to make it, as K-A would have likely changed his whole perspective on superhero movies in general, and compilations of multiple second-tier superheroes like Thor into one movie in particular. It's that important a movie.
No it wouldn't have.

How's THAT for a tease ;)

Mailman

Jan 25, 2010
I'm excited for the Avengers movie since the chances for a Nextwave movie are slim to none.

weirdaljedifan2

Apr 12, 2008
MovieBob said:
Antacid said:
MowDownJoe said:
lead sharp said:
Has kick ass not come out in the us?
Nope. Not until next week.
This video would be completely different if moviebob had seen Kikc-Ass first - in fact it might not even have occured to him to make it, as K-A would have likely changed his whole perspective on superhero movies in general, and compilations of multiple second-tier superheroes like Thor into one movie in particular. It's that important a movie.
No it wouldn't have.

How's THAT for a tease ;)
To be quite honest, when I saw a trailer Kick Ass, it looked more like, to me at least, a satire of Watchmen, just with younger kids. Don't know if I'm going to see it though.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
eels05 said:
Yes Scarlett Johansen in skin-tight body suit.

Thor..wonder how Fundamental Christian groups will take to a depiction of a Norse Man-God as an American hero.Cant wait to see how that story is depicted.
Well they nicked all our religious holidays and to a lesser extent our concept of monetary worth! But anyway I hope they don't balls up the Thor film.

I do hope they include this classic line.

"Are you thor?"

Of course Im thore this chainmail chafes awfully!

Orange_Clockwork

Oct 29, 2009
They NEED to tread lightly. This Avengers movie could either be the greatest thing to come out in a decade, or it could the worst mish-mash of media ever.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
I always wondered if the lightning storm in Hulk was a prelude to Thor. I might be reaching, but when it is called a "freak occurrence," it comes out of nowhere with very good timing and Hulk seems to be pissed off at something in the storm (then again, that could just be him raging at the thunder). Anyone else pick up on this or am I grasping at straws?

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Now that I have no coherent things to say on the subject, I will muse:
They should have Deadpool show up...anywhere.

Rafe

Apr 18, 2009
Never interested in any marvel comics it any comics at all, but you're right, I'm excited!

crazypsyko666

I AM A GOD
Apr 8, 2010
Personally, I'd like to see Iron Man stay Iron Man. It's been one of my favorite superhero movie franchises of late, and I don't see it mixing well with these other movies. I'm agreeing with the concept that it screws up continuity.

Also, Magic+Guns don't mix.

AgentChunk

Jul 27, 2009
Funny thing is I actually do have a friend who will get into a argument about which restaurants better.

Apr 28, 2008
Please, please let you be right.

It would make me happy beyond words...

And I share your nerdgasm.

Firethem

Apr 15, 2009
Dear Bob. I just wanted to add that I really tought that at the end of Hulk, when Tony Starks goes to talk to the general, he's talking about the project captain america drug, and not the project hulk drug.

I also think that when the general talks to the guy who turns into abomination about the drug, he's actually talking about 2 different drugs. He reminices on an old one that showed promise (captain america) but then gives him a different one, not linked to the first one, made with the few info they had on how the first hulk came to be, which could explain the fact that abomination appeared, using an alpha project and all ^_^

That said, if you remember one of the animated movies of the avengers, Hulk is actually the villain. In that idea, it would make sense to say that there are two drugs, one for cap and one for hulk, and that tony starks wants info on the cap drug, not the other one.

And I totally agree on his father having worked on the stuff during WWII and Tony might even be there, as an infant. There is also a time lapse in the first Iron Man, where they say that Tony went under the radar between his father's death and his ascension to power at adulthood, which could be linked to the whole thing. Maybe. ^_^

CaptainLudicrous

Mar 19, 2010
Hmm, Marvel was probably only adding those things as Easter Eggs for the comic book fans.
What is great, however cynical the above comment was, is how Marvel is actively connecting its movie franchises. If they're going to make an avenger movie, it would be after all of the pieces are put together. IE: All or most of the characters already have successful franchises. This will take time, probably around 2014. But hey, IF that's what Marvel is planning, THEN I'll fight my way through the Mayan Apocalypse to see that movie. Avengers Assemble!