Escape to the Movies: Avengers

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Thespian said:
Mewick_Alex said:
That was probably the only disappointing thing about the film for me. Never did like Thanos.
Thanos is cool and all, but like... Hello? Kang the Conqueror? Ultron? Red Skull? Dr. Doom? The Leader? Mandarin? M.O.D.O.K? COME ON GUYS

But to be fair, Thanos is the definitive Marvel Crossover villain.
Can't have Ultron without the Pyms. Red skull died in Cpt. America. Dr. Doom is owned by fox via Fantastic 4 (which, incidently, is why they weren't facing the Skrulls), Kang is a little to tied in with the FF as well. Mandarin and M.O.D.O.K. are probably a little too obscure. Marvel tied down the Leader with some comic tie-ins, He is in S.H.E.I.L.D. custody, he was in The HULK though.

And they teased everyone with the bloody glove at Comic Con so yeah let's go all the way. HOWEVER, if fox will ever be good people and realize they can't make good superhero movies (most of the time anyways...)and let marvel get back FF and all that stuff i'd like to see any and all. Also X-men cross-over. Want avengers v magneto/botherhood movie...

OT;umm... My nitpicks
-never said "Avengers Assemble!"
-Hulk never yelled "HULK STRONGEST THERE IS!!!*rage face*" and he had like three really awesome opportunities...
-
AGENT COULSON! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
-same as bob's, not enough for maria hill.
-What does marvel have against grand central station? I have seen that destoyed by marvel in more things...
-pepper in daisy dukes? i'm not complaining (she was lookin' fiiiiine) but that was kinda OOC...

Although, i find all of the nits hard to pick when i realize, "wait there's a helicarrier on the screen." Also, HULK is funniest part of this movie.
favorite scene - ummmmm... hmmmm... gonna have to say, i actually really liked the scene in the lab...
where they're all fighting and all of SHIELD's dirty laudry comes out. and it's just getting worse and worse. and then boom they all have to put it aside to survive.

sorry too many spoiler tags...

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Not a bad movie. I was wondering how they would fit Hawkeye in as a "major" character without his role feeling forced, and they did a decent job of it. I did think they underplayed Cap in this movie a bit too much. He didn't seem to be as much of the "leader" of the Avengers as he should have been. His on screen presence just wasn't there as much as in his own movie, and on the flip side, Stark was a little bit too much center stage, over-powering some of the other characters.

I was only really disappointed in the "generic" alien bad guys. I would have liked a little more screen-time given to them to make the audience "care" why they are involved. Maybe a bit more with them and Loki...

Other than that, decent. I'll be glad to see a second one.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
maninahat said:
*snip*
Or maybe the point is that schadenfreude is fun.
I'm inclined to agree with omegawyrm. Actually hoping for some schadenfreude does make you kind of a dick (in my books at least). I'll admit it's a guilty pleasure I've indulged in before, but I at least feel bad about it afterwards.

wolfskin

Sep 10, 2008
Lizardon said:
I'm drawing a blank on what the new dimension of Agent Coulson was that redeems the second act of Iron Man 2. Didn't he only show up for a few seconds to give Tony some of his fathers stuff before going to find Thor's hammer? And what was specifically wrong with the second act?
I didn't get what Bob meant by that either. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Death916

Apr 21, 2008
im pretty sure at least in US release they said avengers assemble, because i remember i big cheer at the midnight showing when they said it

paintballsycho

Jan 30, 2012
saw it last night, still laughing. The Hulk/Ruffalo steals every scene hes in. the last time a monologue was interrupted this well was Samuel L. Jacksons performance as chum in deep blue sea.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
Ok, Avengers, but if the next review isnt Iron Sky I am seriously beginning to suspect that Bob has got some genuine Nazi sympathies.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
THANK YOU BOB!
I'm the only one in my classroom who got to see the "second bonus" scene (only 12 of us, with 3 who have seen it, but still)
That bit was just a whole lot of fun :)
Also, the whole movie (and singlehandedly being the best appearance of the Live Action Hulk/Banner on-screen for the last 10 years)

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
maninahat said:
omegawyrm said:
maninahat said:
I have to admit that I'm kind of disappointed that this film is turning out to be good, at least according to the concensus. I was hoping for a mediocre, anti-climactic movie, just to see how furious Bob would have gotten. Guess I'll just have to watch a good super hero movie instead. Win win.
Wow. How... pointlessly dickish of you.
Perhaps the point is not to get too worked up over something as trivial as a comic book movie. Or to not get on your fans nerves with constant references to said comic book movie.

Your comment is bad and you should feel bad... Jerk.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
if I hadn't watched this movie at the midnight premier, I would have walked back to the ticket booth and bought one to immediately watch the next showing :)

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
rayen020 said:
Can't have Ultron without the Pyms. Red skull died in Cpt. America. Dr. Doom is owned by fox via Fantastic 4 (which, incidently, is why they weren't facing the Skrulls), Kang is a little to tied in with the FF as well. Mandarin and M.O.D.O.K. are probably a little too obscure. Marvel tied down the Leader with some comic tie-ins, He is in S.H.E.I.L.D. custody, he was in The HULK though.
Yeah yeah. I was pretty much just rattling off the reasons why Thanos didn't make me wet my pants. And it does sorta suck with the Skrulls, but I'm kinda glad they went with the generic Chitauri anyway. I didn't want to see a Secret Invasion movie. Not yet, anyway.

Also, Red Skull totally survived. He got sucked into the same sort of wormhole as Loki. They could easily bring him back, and I bet he'll be in Avengers 2.

KirbyKrackle

Apr 25, 2011
Merrick_HLC said:
Chaos Marine said:
It's a shame how Marvel fucked over the creators of the original creators of the characters from the Avengers which makes it hard for me to really enjoy this movie.
Co-creators I assume you mean.
Stan Lee is in all the movies so I doubt he feels 'fucked over' and the only character in Avengers he didn't have a hand in creating is Captain America.

Really, and I say this as an at least wannabe writer who is sympathetic to creator's by nature.... I think there's a lot of overstatement of how 'evil marvel' was to creators back in the day.

No one around had any real idea these things would continue on for ages or be having huge blockbusters in 50 years.

Comics were seen as cyclical no one would care about superheroes in another 10 years.
So better a continued check as a writer than permanent royalties for something that wouldn't be worth anything in 20 years.

It's unfortunate that this ended up with guys making far less money in the long run, but it's not like Marvel or DC we're forcing them to give up the rights, they could have gone to some of the many other publishers who did exist at the time and kept the characters they created, though it's unknowable if we'd remember these characters if they had.
Uh, who's talking about back in the day? Marvel and DC continue to find new and innovative ways to fuck over creators right now (I'm mean seriously, "Marvel's The Avengers"? What the fuck.) You're also ignoring the basic extortion Marvel used when getting creators, particularly Jack Kirby, to renegotiate contracts in Marvel's favour. Also, I'm curious, what other publishing companies do you believe they could have turned to? Not to mention that you seem to be implying that it's the creators' fault that the industry treated them badly as opposed to suggesting that maybe, I don't know here's a novel idea, it's the companies that treated them badly who are at fault. Not only that, but it's pretty silly to pretend that the only reason Kirby or Lee's characters are remembered is because they're part of Marvel. It's rather the reverse: the only reason Marvel still exists is because it feeds off the corpse of their ideas.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
My thoughts exactly, so amazing that this is the first time something like this has been attempted and yet it was done to such a high standard.

Awesome review and I'm glad he didn't just there and then say it was the best super hero movie of all time, very proffessional.

I also agree that you don't have to see all the other films which is why I really disliked one of the reviews on Meta Critic that said it is only good if you do the 6 hours of homework that are the other films. Bull....Shit.

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
Draconalis said:
Mewick_Alex said:
Really? That was probably the only disappointing thing about the film for me. Never did like Thanos.
That was the mid credits scene, not the after credits scene.
Oops, looks like I may have left the cinema too soon.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Aptspire said:
maninahat said:
omegawyrm said:
maninahat said:
I have to admit that I'm kind of disappointed that this film is turning out to be good, at least according to the consensus. I was hoping for a mediocre, anti-climactic movie, just to see how furious Bob would have gotten. Guess I'll just have to watch a good super hero movie instead. Win win.
Wow. How... pointlessly dickish of you.
Perhaps the point is not to get too worked up over something as trivial as a comic book movie. Or to not get on your fans nerves with constant references to said comic book movie.

Your comment is bad and you should feel bad... Jerk.
Whilst part of me wishes that I could spend months getting so excited over something as simple as a comic book movie, I think I prefer the sense of perspective. I feel contempt for people who get seriously upset over something as meager as a bad comic book movie, and I have no problem poking fun at them. You know who else feels that way? Bob. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5357-The-Phantom-Menace-13-Years-Later]

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
Naeras said:
The only real complaints I had with the movie was a plothole in regards to the Hulk, and that the 3D looked awful and was awkward and distracting. Otherwise, I had a helluvalot of fun with it :3
The only real complaint I had with this comment is what on earth possessed you to watch it in 3D? xD

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Samantha Burt said:
The only real complaint I had with this comment is what on earth possessed you to watch it in 3D? xD
Theaters are dicks and won't set it up in anything but 3D. I didn't have a choice. <.<