Escape to the Movies: Big Hero 6 - Meet Disney's Animated Avengers

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Big Hero 6 - Meet Disney's Animated Avengers

Big Hero 6 is a fantastic super hero film with a great cast and story, but unfortunately falls prey to the misguided idea that kids have too short an attention span to sit through a long movie.

Watch Video

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
One review I saw mentioned that some of the kids watching actually turned to their parents asking how long that movie is midway through. So I guess kids do have too short an attention span to sit through a movie. :(

MooseHowl

Dec 20, 2008
It's always nice to hear analysis of why something is good and the bits where it stumbles, but really, I was pretty much sold by the tagline "Disney's Animated Avengers".

How is it that some people outgrow this stuff, anyway? I still squee and clap my hands at fun kid movies, 15+ years after my purported childhood!

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
I am looking forward to seeing this movie today. Speaking movies that are too long, I am dreading going to the movies to see the last Hobbit movie.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So if it does rush I find that a bit peculiar. Neither Frozen or Maleficent (two massive Disney hits of 2013/2014) were rushed. Hell Frozen even had padding in it with that damn second Troll scene. What convinced them that kids wouldn't pay attention when clearly they did for Frozen and Maleficent (and those weren't action films, mostly).

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Rawbeard said:
One review I saw mentioned that some of the kids watching actually turned to their parents asking how long that movie is midway through. So I guess kids do have too short an attention span to sit through a movie. :(
I watched the same review yesterday before seeing the movie last night, and as was mentioned in that review, it's really just one short part of the movie that slows down a bit before hammering the accelerator down for the (almost too fast, as Bob mentioned) last stretch of the movie.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, and my six-year old LOVED it. He asked if we could see it again as soon as the credits started rolling.

Evonisia said:
So if it does rush I find that a bit peculiar. Neither Frozen or Maleficent (two massive Disney hits of 2013/2014) were rushed. Hell Frozen even had padding in it with that damn second Troll scene. What convinced them that kids wouldn't pay attention when clearly they did for Frozen and Maleficent (and those weren't action films, mostly).
It definitely did seem a little rushed. Not terribly so, but it felt like it should have been about 10-15 mins longer. My only guess as to "Why?" is maybe that they think because it's a "Superhero movie" that kids will expect more action... or maybe Disney thinks boys have shorter attention spans than the girls that Frozen and Maleficent were more targeted towards?

Edit: Oh... and am I the only one who thinks Hiro's armor is strangely reminiscent of Priss's hardsuit?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I've waited for years for an Incredibles 2.

This looks like it's going to do more than just scratch the itch. It's going to give me a whole new itch to scratch.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
So now I'll just have to figure out how to watch this alone.
I'm still a bit sour after wreck-it ralph, which I watched at 8pm with a crowd of 3 year-olds who, after the first 10 minutes, kept yelling for Bowser to return.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Rawbeard said:
You watch Jeremy too huh?

Overall the reviews I'm saying is that this move gets As across the board, minus pacing where it gets a C or a D. Thing is I'm getting inconsistent reports on if it's too slow paced or too fast paced. Either way it loos like it's kind of interesting.

Also yeah, sitting back and shooting the shit. How come we don't see characters in fiction do that more? If you have good characterization it'll be really endearing. I mean just look at the party scene from Age of Ultron! More of that please!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
"My diagnosis"? *raises finger* "Puberty"

I died and had to rewind the video :')

Looks awesome, can't wait till its released in the UK

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I am glad that the movie seems good but can someone please explain to me why in the name of Odin there is a 3 month gap between the US release date and the UK release date?

I swear if when the final box office taking are in if anyone even close to the development of this movie even hints that piracy hurt the returns I will flip out!

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
This looks awesome! Will definitely catch in theaters once I get a chance.

Disney's been on a roll lately. Hope they can keep it up.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Keith K said:
"Left wanting more" is probably the best criticism one can hope for.
This was going to be my comment!
When someone has the criticism of a movie/game/book that "it was too short" or something similar, that usually means it's damn good and it knows when to stop or that, like Bob said, it can always make a sequel if this succeeds.

I had hopes for this, seems like I will have to go to the theather again soon! :D

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
INeedAName said:
Thinking about StarWars and the rest of the Marvel Cinemtatic universe are we?
But yeah, certainly hope they can keep the good work up myself :D

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
Guffe said:
INeedAName said:
Well, the last three Disney animated pictures have been:

Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6

I'd say that's quite a roll.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
LarsInCharge said:
Guffe said:
INeedAName said:
Well, the last three Disney animated pictures have been:

Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6

I'd say that's quite a roll.
Yeah it is!
I really enjoyed Wreck it and Frozen and Big6 seems like a movie I will also enjoy.
Just didn't find when it will arrive in theathers in Finland :/

Hoping sooner rather than later!

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Evonisia said:

Big Hero 6 is the exact same length as Frozen 102 minutes including the credits. The reason this seems rushed is Frozen is a very padded and loose adaption of a very short story this isn't.

And yay for being in the UK were this doesn't come out till March/April when everything about it will be spoiled because I dare to use the internet.