Escape to the Movies: Book of Eli

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
I was planning on seeing it, but now I'm not so sure. Also, I totally called the book being a bible, and that line about all post apocalyptic movies being like B-westerns acted out by the homeless was fucking hilarious. Maybe the best joke moviebob has ever made.

inkfool

Sep 17, 2009
i'm sure this movie sucks but why come down so hard for unoriginality and predictability on eli but jump on james cameron's dick and give avatar a free pass? avatar was lame, even though i hadn't seen the south perk episode about it or dances with wolves, it was still lame and predictable.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I actually haven't seen commercials for this movie, but that's probably because I haven't been watching that much TV. Yeah, really interesting movie... Sort of.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
MovieBob said:
Not that it should matter, but I'm not an Atheist ;)

My issue with the use of religion in this movie is that it's heavy-handed yet also profoundly silly. Christianity in "Eli" is used like magic spells are in "Harry Potter": Eli teaches a person who's NEVER even heard of religion before to say grace, and immediately they're a better, more confident human being than before. The bad guy wants The Book for the same reason: "The Words" will give him power (and the movie agrees with him.) Aside from being a flat-out distortion of the religion in question, that's just GOOFY - especially in a movie trying so hard to be gritty and "real."... etc
That just makes your review worse, sir.
Because to me, it makes it sound like there WAS a pretty cool twist to things... first off the final revelation you reveal just makes EVERYTHING that happened before the END of the film THAT MUCH COOLER when you realize what you realize...
Second, one of the oldest and truest plots in human fiction is the story of a person who undergoes tremendous trial and tribulation to accomplish THE IMPOSSIBLE.. how many times have we seen that? From the Hobbit's quest to travel into the very HEART of doom to save middle earth, to a ragtag band of mini-bears fighting a decisive battle against the greatest military force in a far, far away galaxy, the idea of someone overcoming all odds to win against all hope is as old and satisfying as storytelling itself.

As for the "power of Prayer", I also view differently on your opinion of such moments. I mean, how many times have we seen THAT put to good use in a good story? I seem to recall a wise, odd little Japanese man taking a 105 lb weakling and turning him into a Karate Champion by painting fences and buffing cars in order to help him learn to believe in HIMSELF being a VERY good and entertaining film. I also recall the story of a burned out, washed up young boxer breaking legs in Philly being given an opportunity to step into a ring with the greatest fighter in the world when no one else believed he'd last five minutes, and winning his own personal battle of will and determination. I think the point that was being made there best illustrated why Gary Oldman's character wanted the book so badly... believe it or not (pun not intended), WORDS ARE POWERFUL.. and not in the Harry potter spells way, but in a REAL and POWERFUL way. Words can cause wars, can make peace, can console, and can inflame.

Want a good example? You're already looking at it: This thread.
Your "words" about a film have inspired all these emotions and thoughts, ranging from agreement, to anger, to defensiveness, to insult, to disappointment. There are people now who question why they even bothered entertaining your opinion, and there are those who don't understand why others would be upset about any of this. Words have strength, they have power and can move great amounts of people to do things when nothing else could.

A few years ago, NOBODY would have ever believed we would have a black President of the United States in this day and age. And yet, with a single WORD, he inspired a nation and CHANGED (see what I did there?) the WORLD. Words can give people strength to endure the worst torments... there are plenty of stories of prisoners during wars, held for years by brutal imprisoners who survived on faith alone. There are people whose lives were forever scarred by injury or deformation who again, turned to faith for strength and inspiration. Even that old saying "There are no Athiests in a Fox hole" rings true, because you'd be surprised how quickly someone can develop faith if they need to.

As to the "power of prayer" making someone a better person, I don't see how that is unbelievable. While I don't necessarily want to see people going around preaching at me all day long, I can see how Words from the Bible could be used to comfort. I can also see how regardless of one's views on the existence of God or not, the wisdom that can be found in the Bible contain a certain universal truth. The best example I always recall, as a fellow movie buff, is the scene from Enemy Mine, when Dennis Quaid's character,Davidge, is reading from the Drac Holy book (the Talman) and in doing so reflects on how he's heard such words before somewhere (he was reading a passage that said something similar to "DO unto others as you would have done to yourself) and Jerib tells him that "Of course you have, TRUTH is TRUTH".

I would think that in a post-apocalyptic world, which is probably a pretty hopeless and taxing existence, giving someone even just a little something to believe in even the smallest bit of HOPE, is probably more valuable than all the cans of kippers in the world.

inkfool

Sep 17, 2009
i'm not christain but movie bob seems to have a double standard here. maybe there wasn't enough cgi in eli? seriously, did avatar look any better than the star wars prequels? only difference was that the prequels weren't in 3d. to me the messages in avatar were extremely heavy handed. every couple of minutes i expected to see keenan wayanes pop in a yell "MESSAGE". but still movie bob is the best reviewr on the web that i've found yet. also the game overthinker is awesome.

Makon

Jul 9, 2008
I just got back from going to see it. Before I even left, I watched the Movie-Bob review and laughed. I laughed because all MB did was bash the premise of the movie, and didn't actually review the great acting, very good cinematography, and effects. While the premise may sound bland, it's execution was actually very good, and it's about the journey the movie takes as a whole, not just "When is the next story-twist". This movie is part Message, part Action, and all very good. Overall, if you have the least bit of interest in Religion, you'll enjoy this movie. If not, I'd probably save the few bucks and watch it on DVD or rental when it comes out.

Liberaliterr

Mar 24, 2009
The plot I can live with, the review leaves me wondering what the rest of the film is like. It only really covers one base.

Makon

Jul 9, 2008
Hyena, you covered the whole 'plot and premise' argument for me very well, kudos! *thumbs up*

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Mysnomer said:
Deeply saddened... Sure, my only connection to this movie was my name being in it, but I really wanted it to succeed. Also, I felt dumb because I didn't realize it was a Bible...
Your name is Eli too? So is mine, thats kinda sweet.

OT: I'm going to see it regardless of movie bob, I still think it may be a good movie regardless of the bland plot.

RyePunk

Dec 5, 2008
I would like to disagree.
I like things simple. The twist at the end was pleasant (and there is another twist beyond what the fact that the book is a bible), and the film was shot well, the action was well choreographed and enjoyable.
At no point in the film did I feel that he was on mission from God. I felt that "he believed" he was on a mission from god, but that seems to be decidedly unproven at best. I liked that at the end Eli is satisfied although technically nothing is actually achieved, because isn't that life?

That will be all.

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
Wait, that his book is a bible is considered a spoiler? That seemed pretty damn obvious from the trailer. Although I did assume there must be something special about this bible, since it's a little hard to fathom the most-printed and best-selling book in all of history having only one remaining copy intact, thorough book-burning or not.

There seems to be some flak for focusing on this as a reason to dislike the film in general, but I agree: a stupid premise can ruin a film even if everything else is good.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Since Training Day I've banned myself from all denzel washington movies. When I saw the trailer in theaters and TV I couldn't believe myself when I raised the ban hammer off denzel to go see this movie till MovieBob saved me the trip. Even though I would get a kick of seeing Dumbledore firing a Kalashnikov I believe I can wait till someone makes a gif of it.

For everyone else, even with my ban...oh wait a sec....

*SLAM*

Ok, even with my ban hammer in effect everyone should judge by their own opinion after seeing MovieBob's review and decide whether or not to see it for themselves. What I've posted here is my own opinion and I mean no offense to fans of denzel washington.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for the spoiler warning Bob I'm about to go see this movie. I'll swing by after and see if I agree with you review.

Ok back from watching both the movie and review.

Well bob I have to disagree. I liked it a lot, a fuck ton in fact. while Eli's character it worked for the film, he was an agent of God no more no less. I had a problem with one part, his character is too much of a badass. That's right he is too good. He doesn't struggle, even after he gets shot he duct tapes a band aid on, is ok, and keeps walking. I would have liked a bit more character depth since it was a 2 hour movie, and perhaps the cannable thing could have been set up and expanded on more... but it was still a pretty good movie. I feel the movie knows what it is and carries that theme along well.

Gulandro

Sep 4, 2009
I really like the simplicity of the story. I miss these kind of movies ... bad guys against one faithful man. Yes, thats, the western genre, but not the american way, more likely the italian. I looking forward to this, thanks for the spoilers (seriously). I loved the new Punisher.

Zombie_Goasts

Apr 21, 2009
This movie wasn't as horrible as he made it out to be. I enjoyed it quite a lot. MovieBob is getting a little too skeptical nowadays..

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
Well this is a real shame. It looked like it had more promise in the ads than what we see in the review. The concept really does sound boring. It's a guy told by God to carry the Bible across a wasteland and fight people who get in his way. I don't see why they made this movie.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I would have ended the movie by actually having god come down and beat the everloving shit out of Gary Oldman with his bare hands. Then killing the remaining henchman with force lighting. It would have been awesome and hilarious.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
ColdStorage said:
Jaranja said:
Woah, woah, woah... Lemme get this straight: You're saying that she was 14 years old when playing Jackie in 'That 70's Show?' Wasn't she always on top of Ashton... or was it just me?
Yep, and I know why your actually going "woah woah woah", its because you just did a little sick in your mouth when hearing that the Hottie Jackie was actually 14 at the start of the show.
I didn't actually wanna nail her that bad until the later seasons. She looked much hotter to me in season five than season one.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I did enjoy the Book of Eli, if only because I didn't see Bob's review first, but the action is good, the story is decent and the reveal at the end of the movie, while a bit of a middle finger (of God, ba-dum-tish) to the audience, was...okay, it was a middle finger to the audience. I won't say what.