Escape to the Movies: Branded

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
It's funny, when Bob tells me I'm wrong to see Sucker Punch as a thin plot over stupid action, I think he's off his gourd. But then he writes a review for a movie like this, and I believe every word of it. I guess it's because the trailers seemed so ham-fisted anyway. Glad to know I pegged this right.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Oh... wow... I hope someone picks up a phone because I would like to say I CALLED IT!!!...

Well... anyways, just from the trailers I could tell this movie was going to be a bad attampt at mimicing "They Live" and had already wrote it off.

Wild_Marker

Mar 31, 2011
Oh man The Stuff. We still get confused here since the LA title translation is "La Cosa" or "The thing" which is also of course the translation of Jhon Carpenter's "The Thing" and also the translation of "The Blob".

Basically we have 3 movies called "The Thing". One is about aliens, the other about a blob, and the other about yogurt.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Oh wow. This is the sort of movie I have a hard time believing even gets made. Even if there are writers for it, who would greenlight this?

Also, yes, modern consumerism is far from perfect, but anyone who seriously tries to argue with a straight face that aggressive marketing is worse than the brutal Police state that the Soviet Union was, that's the point where I slap a *****.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
Never even heard of this movie until now, but the videos Bob played throughout reminded me of another Russian movie, Nightwatch which sounded like a neat premise, but the execution was just a cavalcade of "how much acid do I need to take for this to start being good?" I definitely dislike it when people mishandle easy concepts like this, but considering how my town sucks so much we don't even get The Master, I doubt we'll be getting this any time soon.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I kind of had a feeling the movie was going to be bad, but that was something else.

Nice to see you giving that thing a good place to rest. Thanks for the review Bob!

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Wow! This movie was so bad it caused Bob's accent to return!

Crap...and I was kind of hoping the advertisements WERE some kind of alien infestation. It would definitely have explained quite a few things.

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
The footage showing branded advertising as Madoka Magica'esc monsters eating people and assimilating into mega-monsters would make for an awesome movie. Kinda a shame that's just what seems to be the delusion of someone who's gone batshit and bathed in Cow's Blood.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
GamemasterAnthony said:
Wow! This movie was so bad it caused Bob's accent to return!
Exactly. That's when you know he's pissed.

Amazing: a movie with Leelee Sobieski, Max von Sydow and Jeffrey Tambor and I STILL don't want to see it.

But I'll tell you, for Leelee, I'm thinking about it...

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Its intresting that MoiveBob did a two part on a movie that a good point to make but ultimily got lost in poor storytelling and people not just seeing at as a movie with hot chicks and actions and now he has to review a movie that throws its point in your face because of poor storytelling. It really shows that in order to show the point of a story it takes a good storytelling to make that point without throwing it in your face and having it yell "look at me! Look at me! I'm the point of the movie!!"

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Not really, but I like to yell this from time to time. The Simpsons Already Did It. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treehouse_of_Horror_VI

Still that sounds like it could be an interesting idea for a movie if it were done right, but obviously it was not. The Stuff does indeed look awesome... and it's on netflix. Oh yeah.