Escape to the Movies: Buried

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
This is a one-dimentional boring film with a rambling "plot" and a lead who wasn't that watchable in his previous films with an ensemble cast. The fact it was an independent art-house film gives it no extra cred or lenience, as many many other indie films have done so much more with less. This really is going to be one of the worst films of the season (not as bad as the Expendables etc, but close).

Seriously, THE FILM IS ABOUT A GUY IN A BOX. This will only appeal to the claustrophobic horror-film lovers with too much money and no imagination. So, basically mainstream audiences. I'm gonna see if I can find ANYWHERE in the UK actually showing Splice and see that instead. Or maybe watch Inception again.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
craddoke said:
Interesting to hear that Buried is compelling - I really thought it would be too high-concept.

BTW, it is completely unconscionable that Joss Whedon is not writing/directing Wonder Woman. Come on! The man's entire oeuvre from Buffy to Dollhouse has been like an audition to handle the most iconic female bad-ass - and he gets passed over in favor of Ally McBeal's creator and his pseudo-feminist bull hockey?
Yeah but Joss Whedon is doing the Avengers movie so I'd say that he wins there.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
Nincompoop said:
Dear mr. Movie Bob.
Stop. Using. That. F*cking. Smiley.

I recent it. I recent it to my bones! If you're not following which smiley I'm referring to, it's the '=S'ish one. The I'm-a-smiley-that's-supposed-to-emote-discomfort-but-actually-I-just-look-like-a-retarded-person-with-an-eye-displacement smiley.
Get rid of it!
It's just an emoticon. It's not a big deal. Get over it. You're not going to die from looking at a stupid smiley for two seconds. Also the word you're looking for is resent, not recent.
Obviously. I don't know how I could have made that mistake.
But, it's not just an emoticon. They're important. And I will die from looking at it.

Disthron

Aug 19, 2009
About Tomorrow When the War Began, is it even coming out over there? Anyway, I really enjoyed it. It's got to be the best Australian movie I've seen in a long time. So if you get a chance, I'd definatly recommend seeing it.

About Smallville, isn't that show still going, after like 10 seasons or so?

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
aw YEAH! i fucking love Ryan Renolds and if he was not married i would so take him down.
sooo hot!
also i shall go see this movie now.

daedalus720

Oct 7, 2010
Nice review as always, Bob. Admittedly, I wasn't going to see this, because from my point of view it looks quite stupid. Now knowing that the marketing was a load and it's actually (supposedly) decent, I'm definitely going to check this one out. Thanks for the review!

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
Just saw it. Was really creative, and a prime example of 'less is more'. What little it used was used so well to create a compelling and involving, realistic thriller. There aren't enough movies like this anymore.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nice pics XD But, looks like ill head on out sometime soon to see it - I didnt think it would be that good

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
spaceman12 said:
Traun said:
Pseudonym2 said:
Bob. It's time to have an intervention. I don't know if you are a lecherous creep or just playing on TV but it's getting really annoying either way. It's literally interfering with your job. Your job is comment on Buried not get side tracked and start showing pictures of attractive actresses.

1 Attractive movie actresses are not rare.

2 If we wanted to see publicly released stills we would use Google.

3 Women watch this too, or at least would watch it if they weren't discouraged by the blatant fan service and objectification.

4 Using someone's copyrighted photos to boost your view count is pretty low.

I know this video isn't the worst example but it's the straw that broke the camel's back. Have some dignity. You're a 28 year old balding man. Publicly Drooling of pretty women makes you look pathetic. Please stick to your movie reviews and analysis not superficial judgments of women.
I can understand this point of view...and somewhat support it. The Escapist has a female audience, and this audience isn't a small percent, having to listen to a twenty eight year old man drooling over half-naked actresses in suggestive posses isn't exactly the best experience for a woman.
signed up on the forums to register my annoyance that as a homo, saying "Scarlett Johannson, Yeahhhh" is increasingly beginning to irritate.

I watch your reviews for insight into how movies work, a-la RedLetterMedia/MrPlinkett. This comicbookguy wink wink nudge nudgery is not becoming of you, Bobski.

You could become an equal opportunities lech and Yeahhh. Jacob from twilight a few times
I know, Bob, that you have already addressed this issue. But I'm going to lend my support anyway for this viewpoint. You know what? You posting a bunch of only tangentially-related pictures of a woman in various states of undress is not a monoculture issue, it is a you issue. It is you either overindulging your own fantasies or attempting to pander to what you see as your core audience. I could tolerate this when said pictures were used ironically, or to highlight something important (like the idea you posed that Mrs. Johannsen was hired only for her looks in Iron Man 2), or when it had ANYTHING to do with what you were talking about.

When I was watching your review just now, I was using a shared computer and there were two women in the room. I wasn't expecting this, and I didn't appreciate it. I'm a hetero guy, and if I want to look at pictures of hot women I can find more revealing pictures of hotter women in about 2 seconds with Google. I don't watch your reviews for that. I guess what I'm trying to say is it felt unprofessional and I would hope that any reviewer, whether gay or straight or whatever, could keep their fantasies to themselves long enough to do a proper review.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Buried: just like this review's humor. Bob, a lot of other non indie big films have beeen released that we want your opinion on, if you can't do that, just put a smaller word review in intermission, and explain that once a week is a little constrictive.

Pseudonym2 said:
Bob. It's time to have an intervention. I don't know if you are a lecherous creep or just playing on TV but it's getting really annoying either way. It's literally interfering with your job. Your job is comment on Buried not get side tracked and start showing pictures of attractive actresses.

3 Women watch this too, or at least would watch it if they weren't discouraged by the blatant fan service and objectification.

I know this video isn't the worst example but it's the straw that broke the camel's back. Have some dignity. You're a 28 year old balding man. Publicly Drooling of pretty women makes you look pathetic. Please stick to your movie reviews and analysis not superficial judgments of women.
I completely agree.

WarCorrespondent

Sep 27, 2010
Australian Fan here with suggestion about "Tomorrow When the War Began".

I have read all seven books twice (got about halfway through it a third time, but got distracted by Worms Reloaded)and I saw the movie the day it came out.

The books are about what it would REALLY be like if you were on the run from an entire war as a group of teens living in rural Australia. The books pride themselves on realism to the highest degree, where a bulletwound is not just a flesh wound referred to later by some bandages, but a life threatening situation. You cannot be seen, heard, or talked about by prisoners you might meet. And the books disect not how teens would handle it, but anyone.

The books go into great detail about all the human emotions, and how each of the individual characters handle them. It's a drama with some awesome sabotage action.

The movie stays almost completely true to the first book and does it masterfully well. It isn't a metaphor about the current world situation, or anything fancy or arty that may go over some viewers' heads. It's about whats going on, how does that make you feel and what are you going to do about it. The realism is there, the characters cracking up under stress is there, Ellie (one of the best female lead characters ever) is there, the explosions are there, just watch the damn thing. Whether you review it is irrelevant, WATCH IT!

I could give my own review right here, right now, but that's not what this thread is for. Go watch it, and you'll want to review it too.

dragcrew

Aug 20, 2009
yeah apparently Tomorrow when the war began is actually good, though i am yet to see it ahah
surprised that it came out in Aus before it did in the US though...

PastaSource

Oct 9, 2010
yeah apparently Tomorrow when the war began is actually good, though i am yet to see it ahah
surprised that it came out in Aus before it did in the US though...
Well it is an Australian movie based on a series of books that only sold really well in Australia.

Speaking of Australian movies. Bob have you seen that owl movie yet. Has Zach Snyder made good on the promise he showed in Watchmen?

Saw Buried. Really got under my skin, gave me a serious case the heebie jeebies.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Yes Bob, tommorrow when the war began is pretty good for movies in general. I mean what with the current state of Australian cinema over here if any Aussie film is slightly good you'd walk out going "Good for an Aussie film", for twtwb I just said it made a damn good film in general.

It has a few themes and scenes that you might only get if you're an Australian (at one point the titular heroine Ellie is musing on how they were invaded and she catches a glimpse of a mural depicting British settlers doing battle with Aborigines and it starts off with a shot of driving a ute to a farmhouse through a town preparing for australia day and there's a Kelpie at the house, but these moments are in the minority) but all around it was a pretty good film based off a decent book.

Littlejib

Oct 22, 2008
Tomorrow when the war began isn't a bad movie, then again it's not that good. The soap stars that act in it do well considering their background but some parts come off a little cheesy, espically the final scene. The most interesting part about this movie will be the characters if they keep making the movies, might be worth seeing

FarSpace

Mar 21, 2009
Ummm, ah how about NO!!! Not going to watch a movie about a guy caught in a box, maybe if it was a women, lol. nope not even. $9 for that are you kidding me?

The only way I would watch this is if the terrorists were put in a box, lol.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
CommanderKirov said:
Pseudonym2 said:

Oh oh oh!

Shuttup and stop advertising your personal opinions as the opinions of majority.

More Scarlet Johanson Bob, even if it is just to annoy that guy.
are you mad!?!?!?

im serious, the sexyphotos are RETARDEDLY ANNOYING. QUIT ENCOURAGING RETARDEDLY ANNOYING STUFF.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
On Tomorrow When the War Began: Everyone in Australia has already seen it, because it's a big explody Aussie action movie that will probably do really well in the states due to the nature of it. My mum (mom for Americans) says it's VERY close to the books, too. Okay, I don't know what the sales figures are, but it's based on an Australian book series, and the series was really popular, so it might be worth it. Especially for getting some more country-connection stuff happening, if Bob influences anyone (he influences me, and we seem to agree on a lot of things) - most movies, unless they're BIG in the states, don't get here for at least 5 months. Devil won't be out till like the day after Christmas (not that I give a rat's). Splice wasn't out until just last month (I missed it, grrr!). For us, it's proof that you can make a film here and have it succeed at the box office (most of our stuff is high-brow drama because of our distance geographically from Hollywood... which is actually probably a good thing).

PS: Daybreakers was filmed largely in and around Brisbane, my home city, which is the capital of an Australian city. Yes, Australia has cities! :p