Escape to the Movies: Cabin In The Woods

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
meh, in all honesty I can't stand Whedon as a writer. Not because he's incompetent, but because he lacks professionalism and has a bad history of pointing fingers at everyone ELSE whenever something he was involved in goes wrong. It strikes of a man who has a thin skin and is severely insecure about his own abilities.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Caught the midnight showing of this last night.

Absolutely loved it and went in completely blind, save for the first trailer.

Was upset when the rest of the theater thought that the ending was bad, because I don't think that you could have ended the movie any other way without veering from the commentary that the movie is giving right from the start.

Excellent film. Will see again.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
I...I don't remember ANY of that stuff from the Matrix. Either I wasn't paying as much attention as you or you took some GREAT shrooms.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
I'm sorry Bob, but I don't trust you since Sucker Punch... ;) just kidding, been looking forward to this for a while but I'll have to wait a bit longer here in Sweden. OTOH we'll get Avengers on the 27th here so I'll get my Whedon-dose this month anyyway.
Glad to see "Thofer" from Dollhouse again, I love that guy, he deserves to be in more movies.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
Also yea, how exactly did Chriss look so much younger in this, that's the first thing I thought when you were showing clips, he looks about 5-10 years younger than he did in Thor.
Facial hair is the answer. I grow facial hair, I look 35 (I'm 31). I cut it off, I look 25. Facial hair always and forever makes people look older. He had a beard in Thor, and he is clean shaven with short hair in this one. Thor you have a man, Cabin you have a young man who eats steroids for breakfast. :p

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Hmmmmm, sounds interesting. I'll have to go see it.

Incidentally, if some one made a movie where Prince Adam, Steve Erkle, Princess Peach, Lust, and Scooby Doo, all went on a camping trip I'd totally watch that.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
Was already going to watch it but this review made me really excited to see it.

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
MovieBob said:
If you like horror movies, do not miss Cabin in the Woods.
I guess the only question I would have is "What if I hate horror movies?"

I loathe horror movies, all horror movies. Every single one I've seen or not seen.

I imagine I'll miss a lot of the commentary this movie has on horror movies because I don't watch horror movies. And the ones I have seen I hated. Hate the genre as a whole.

I realize it is difficult to ask a person who likes horror movies "If everything about your personal tastes was totally opposite, would you still like this thing you currently like?" It is basically me saying "Divorce yourself from your current opinion and let me know if you would form the same opinion again."

So I guess if I'm asking anything, I'm just curious as to how horror this horror movie is. It's a shame, because it seems like this might be a really good movie I know I'd hate if I saw it and probably won't see.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
It hurts that i can't stand horror movies. the bad ones are usually so bad i can't stand them and the good usually end up scaring me so bad i have trouble sleeping. i just don't like horror movies. mostly cause i'm a total pussy. But good to know all the hype isn't just that.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Baresark said:
Abandon4093 said:
Also yea, how exactly did Chriss look so much younger in this, that's the first thing I thought when you were showing clips, he looks about 5-10 years younger than he did in Thor.
Facial hair is the answer. I grow facial hair, I look 35 (I'm 31). I cut it off, I look 25. Facial hair always and forever makes people look older. He had a beard in Thor, and he is clean shaven with short hair in this one. Thor you have a man, Cabin you have a young man who eats steroids for breakfast. :p
It can work the other way as you get older. I'm 35, but with my full beard I've been mistaken for mid-20s. Maybe it makes me look hipster-ish, but probably because it hides my double-chin. But I go clean-shaven and I look like an overweight dude in his 30s.

Aiddon said:
meh, in all honesty I can't stand Whedon as a writer. Not because he's incompetent, but because he lacks professionalism and has a bad history of pointing fingers at everyone ELSE whenever something he was involved in goes wrong. It strikes of a man who has a thin skin and is severely insecure about his own abilities.
If that's actually the case, then technically you can't stand Whedon as a person, not as a writer.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
My understanding is that this is getting a lot of Whedon-fanboy love. (See above for an example or two.) Honestly, while I absolutely love, love, l-o-v-e Firefly, I can't stand a single other Whedon product: not Angel nor Buffy, and Dollhouse was nigh-unwatchable... and I sure as Hell haven't forgiven him yet for the abomination that was Alien: Resurrection (seriously, how do you fuck up the Alien franchise???)

Now I know that puts me in the minority by far, but hey, I like what I like.

That said, I liked Cloverfield... a lot. For that reason alone (well, and residual Firefly goodwill), I'll probably give this one a shot, even if splathorror isn't my bag at all.

EDIT: oh, and if he screws up 'Much Ado About Nothing', I will find him and I will thrash him to within an inch of his life.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
On the advisement of friends who saw this film months ago I've so far managed to remain completely ignorant of what this movie is about other than what is made obvious by the title.
Being the kind of movie nerd I am this is probably the first time in years I've seen a theatrical release without knowing a thing about it.

Going to see the first showing at my local theatre in a little over an hour...must resist urge to watch review.