Escape to the Movies: Cabin In The Woods

Aug 1, 2010
SkullKing84 said:
*MASSIVE Spoilers Below*
MrDeckard said:
*MASSIVE Spoilers Below*

In a virgin sacrifice the virgin can live? Since when?

3) Of all the awesome and terrifying monsters they could have sent..... We wound up with Redneck Zombies.
The "Virgin" can live cause in all generic horror movies the last survivor, usually the innocent good nature one is the one to kill/lock away the monster. In some movies they die.
That.... Actually makes perfect sense! Thank you!

SkullKing84 said:
And the dumb kids choose their death via... random item. Though that mermaid would of been interesting. I wonder what item they would of picked to summon the robot or the scarecrows or the eyeless doctors or whatever?
I understand that. I just wish that they had picked a more interesting random item.

SkullKing84

Feb 10, 2011
*Spoilers*

Unicorn.... 0_0 That was the "WTF" moment during the Mayhem. And, the whiteboard... anyone else noticed Sugar Plum Fairy or Angry molesting Tree or Kevin? Also under witches was Sexy witches... lol

IcyTicey said:
On a side note, did anyone else get the feeling that the puzzlebox/gearman was a nod to Pinhead?
Totally.

So, many movie references...

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
And once again I'm screwed as a foreigner in Germany. Release date: 14th of June :\

PlasticLion

Nov 21, 2009
One of the commercials said, "You'll never guess the secret beneath the cabin."

Well I did, about twenty minutes into the film. I had a "The Village" moment, that being a moment where the movie gives it's secrets away like a crack whore gives away it's body.

So if you too suffer from Village moments on a regular basis don't go see this movie. You'll spend most of the movie waiting for it to catch up to where you are in the plot.

MonstersInMyCloset

Jul 26, 2009
concerning the matrix:

they go into the older program monster thing way more in the video game.

concerning cabin in the woods:

i walked into this movie having not even seen the trailer. it was baffling, insane, and hilarious from minute one.

the last act was probably the best thing ive seen in years.

SPOILER!!:

this is the 'portal' of movies. with a little cube and evil dead thrown in. and also ten tons of magical originality.

....elevators....

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
Daria.Morgendorffer said:
RJ Dalton said:
I'm just going to say it: I don't like Joss Whedon.
*snip
Im not a big whedon fan either. Buffy never caught my attention.

@ RL Dalton, Regarding that spoiler you put at the end, I agree, i ahve not seen it yet the curiosity got to me, and I agree with you 100%. Tbh after reading though, I found myself completely not very surprised.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Gxas said:
Caught the midnight showing of this last night.

Absolutely loved it and went in completely blind, save for the first trailer.

Was upset when the rest of the theater thought that the ending was bad, because I don't think that you could have ended the movie any other way without veering from the commentary that the movie is giving right from the start.

Excellent film. Will see again.
This.

Actually, I didn't see the trailer - I just saw Movie Bob's review and said "okay, time to go see this".

I don't like horror movies. I never watch them (unless they're scifi/horror like Alien). So for me to go see this movie was mostly to do with Movie Bob's review, and the name Joss Whedon. Seriously, whatever you think of the man, Joss never fails to deliver something interesting.

Edit:
Oh, and for any Buffy/Angel fans who've seen the movie, I have another thread about Cabin in the Woods over here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.369601-Cabin-in-the-Woods-Angel-connection-SPOILERS#14332065

Someone come discuss the movie with me (and it's ramifications). Please? Pretty please?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
MrDeckard said:
*MASSIVE Spoilers Below*
2) Lack of explanations. Energy shields? Ghosts? Supernatural crap? Where did all that come from? From the "Ancient Ones"? What kind of sense does THAT make? They send up monsters so that they can be kept chained in the abyss? And even if they DID do it, where did the stuff like the killer robot come from?
**MASSIVE SPOILERS Continued**

I assumed that this was taking place in the Buffy/Angel Whedon-verse. The mirror-painting featured (I believe) a Wolf eating a deer (Hart). I didn't see a Ram, but it was kind of hard to get all the details in the theater. Anyway, if you've seen Angel, then you know that Wolf Ram and Hart - or Wolfram and Hart - is the Evil Organization that uses technology and the super natural to serve the "Senior Partners" - evil gods of some sort.

Of course, the Senior Partners prefer to keep the world in chaos, not destroy it. But Wolfram and Hart has, in the course of Angel, "saved" the world from destruction so they can keep milking the tasty human suffering. I could see them setting up something to keep even nastier gods from popping up and wrecking their toys.

I even have a thread where I wanted to discuss this possibility in greater detail. Here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.369601-Cabin-in-the-Woods-Angel-connection-SPOILERS

So yeah, that would explain where all the stuff came from.

Aug 1, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
MrDeckard said:
*MASSIVE Spoilers Below*
2) Lack of explanations. Energy shields? Ghosts? Supernatural crap? Where did all that come from? From the "Ancient Ones"? What kind of sense does THAT make? They send up monsters so that they can be kept chained in the abyss? And even if they DID do it, where did the stuff like the killer robot come from?
**MASSIVE SPOILERS Continued**

I assumed that this was taking place in the Buffy/Angel Whedon-verse. The mirror-painting featured (I believe) a Wolf eating a deer (Hart). I didn't see a Ram, but it was kind of hard to get all the details in the theater. Anyway, if you've seen Angel, then you know that Wolf Ram and Hart - or Wolfram and Hart - is the Evil Organization that uses technology and the super natural to serve the "Senior Partners" - evil gods of some sort.

Of course, the Senior Partners prefer to keep the world in chaos, not destroy it. But Wolfram and Hart has, in the course of Angel, "saved" the world from destruction so they can keep milking the tasty human suffering. I could see them setting up something to keep even nastier gods from popping up and wrecking their toys.

I even have a thread where I wanted to discuss this possibility in greater detail. Here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.369601-Cabin-in-the-Woods-Angel-connection-SPOILERS

So yeah, that would explain where all the stuff came from.
........Yeah, I've never seen Buffy/Angel.

However, if it really is part of some greater movie-verse, that makes many things make much more sense

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
MrDeckard said:
........Yeah, I've never seen Buffy/Angel.

However, if it really is part of some greater movie-verse, that makes many things make much more sense
Well, Buffy/Angel included vampires, werewolves, demons, dark gods, robots, and sexy witches... and those are just the "good" guys.

So all those things being together in the same Whedon movie did not come as any sort of surprise.

And I am still looking for confirmation about what was in that painting. If the Evil Organization in Cabin in the Woods WAS Wolfram and Hart, then that does explain where they got all the nifty monsters.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
Bad news: I live in the middle of nowhere, so I can't go see The Raid anytime soon.

Good news: I live in the middle of nowhere, so when I watch a movie like Cabin in the Woods on a matinee showing I pretty much own the theater.

Thank you, MovieBob, for the best Tuesday afternoon in quite some time.

eljawa

Nov 20, 2009
Aiddon said:
meh, in all honesty I can't stand Whedon as a writer. Not because he's incompetent, but because he lacks professionalism and has a bad history of pointing fingers at everyone ELSE whenever something he was involved in goes wrong. It strikes of a man who has a thin skin and is severely insecure about his own abilities.
But...He was screwed over by TV studios. Twice. There was no reason to Cancel Buffy or Angel except that it didnt fit their scheme for what the Studio wanted. Plus, Firefly was aired out of order. These are not him blaming so much as pointing out an unfortunate reality about the world of television production.

And, Out of curiosity, How is he unprofessional? I have heard that his writers are frequently surprised when they work for people who arent him because they are spoiled in the amount of freedom Whedon gave them, but thats not unprofessional in a bad way.

That being said, I don't love Whedon overall. I do Love Buffy, Cabin in the woods (Bob is right, very likely best film this year so far), and Dr. Horrible. I couldnt get into Firefly or Dollhouse (though Im going to give dollhouse another shot) and havent seen Angel

Joshroom

Oct 27, 2009
Holy hell this movie is awesome!

I'm incredibly glad for his first section of the review as it just confirmed my own intetest; now after seeing it with my partner I have to say that this film was one of the best and most enjoyably entertaining things I have ever seen. Good review and recommendation!

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Ok, I just saw this and trust the person who dislikes horror movies- this movie is awesome
It isn't typical horror movie, so yeah, like Bob said- go see it!

Quillpaw

Sep 30, 2009
I hate horror movies. I've missed out on what I hear are really good movies because I can't stomach gore- I won't watch Repo: The Genetic Opera for that reason. I also hate formula movies, which is why I don't see too many action flicks these days either. But on Bob's recommendation, I saw Cabin in the Woods.

I fell in love. Oh my GOD when I was told this movie went off the rails, I wasn't expecting anything CLOSE to what happens near the end. It was beautiful.