Escape to the Movies: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Dark and Action-Packed

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Underwhelmed by the plot twists throughout. Half expected Robot Chicken's M Night Shyamalan to pop up after each one going "What a tweest!" The villains kind of fell short for me, which is a shame cause Captain feels incomplete as a character without an interesting villain to go against. And shaky cam fights continue to be my ultimate nemesis. JUST USE MULTIPLE CAMERAS; IT'S NOT LIKE YOU'RE SHORT ON MONEY.

It's unfortunate, too. I saw Iron Man 3 because I love Shane Black, and I'll probably see Guardians of the Galaxy because why the hell not see the silver screen's first NRA-loving raccoon. But Captain America 2 looked like the only movie I would like purely for the movie aspects of it. At this point the comic book movies are really just becoming a grind for me, especially with Marvel delivering comic book movies that are heavier on the comic book portion than they are on the movie portion. The only light in this tunnel for me is the new X-Men movie, because if you make a movie with Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, and Peter Dinklage, directed by Bryan Singer, it's physically impossible for that movie to be horrible.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Spankable said:
nice spoiler free review, so going to see it tonight.

Who's not in the damn poster?, not sure who bob meant.
if its that Sir Ian McKellen is more predominant?, well he's far more recognizable.

on that subject, just a tip for the Americans, check out - Vicious - with Sir Ian McKellen if you can find it, funniest TV of last year.
Ian McKellan is in the poster, but the name listed on it is Hugh Jackman. I think this is why First Class was my favorite of the X-men movies, cause Wolverine wasn't the focus of it.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Spankable said:
if its that Sir Ian McKellen is more predominant?, well he's far more recognizable.
The poster says "Hugh Jackman' above the title of the movie.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I saw it last weekend and I'd definately agree it's the best non avengers movie I've seen. Iron man 3 was kind of a disappointment when i finally got round to seeing it.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Rabidkitten said:
Bob liked a Marvel comic movie? Color me amazed! Really I don't even need to watch these videos because I can ESP out the conclusion.
What do you want him to do? Loudly defame a movie he enjoyed just so he doesn't look like a sellout?

If you don't enjoy Marvel movies for whatever reason of your own, then fine, but for those of us who enjoy them this WAS a good movie, so of course the review was positive.

empirialtank

Jan 22, 2010
What i want to know is what this all means for Agents of Shield? Will all future agents of shield episodes be taken place in some kind of pre-winter soldier time? Will audiences be willing to accept that?

Is the show going to do a story arc about Coulson and the others helping Nick Fury find out about Hydra leading up to the events of winter soldier?

Will the team go rogue and turn into the marvel equivalent of the scooby doo gang?

Or is the show going to shell out the money to make Samuel Jackson a mainstay of the series and turn it into him and Coulson hunting Hydra through out europe?

So many questions, makes me want to start watching the series again.

Spankable

Apr 8, 2009
daibakuha said:
Spankable said:
The poster says "Hugh Jackman' above the title of the movie.

i missed that, thanks for the answer.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
empirialtank said:
What i want to know is what this all means for Agents of Shield? Will all future agents of shield episodes be taken place in some kind of pre-winter soldier time? Will audiences be willing to accept that?

Is the show going to do a story arc about Coulson and the others helping Nick Fury find out about Hydra leading up to the events of winter soldier?

Will the team go rogue and turn into the marvel equivalent of the scooby doo gang?

Or is the show going to shell out the money to make Samuel Jackson a mainstay of the series and turn it into him and Coulson hunting Hydra through out europe?

Well the latest episode (apparently) takes place during the events of The Winter Soldier, so in the last two episodes before the first season's over they'll be stuff going on after the movie. I think.

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
Did anyone else notice that at 01:12 he's totally doing the Rob Liefeld "I'm constipated" face? I have to assume that was intentional.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Outside of the avengers there is only one thing that could make me watch a movie with captain america again.

Captain Avenger Vs. Burka Avenger

This is the true challenge that marvel has to face and I doubt they have the balls for it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I saw it last night, I agree with almost every word of Bob's spoiler free review, which was also surprisingly light on political commentary. What I get from the Marvel Movies when they try to tackle real-world politics is that they take an already-prevalent paranoid conspiracy theory, and make a plot out of that (ex: Iron Man 3's plot twist and now Captain America: Winter Soldier's), and it is a doozy! I've been watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. since day 1, and I gots ta see how they follow up!

Oh, and of course, stay through the end credits! You won't want to miss them.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
empirialtank said:

You obviously haven't been watching the show for a while.

Without going into spoilers, the last chapter was tied in directly with this movie, the events happen concurrently, and there are several indications the team dynamic with HQ will change drastically in the following chapters.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Nice review and all that, but I suppose I should have seen the finger pointing at Bush/Cheney. Very disappointing, especially considering that Obama is even worse than Bush was with this particular subject.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
I have a completely unrelated question. Is Nick Fury actually missing an eye, or is his eye patch some sort of Google Glass-style heads up display? I would think that Shield has the technology to regenerate eyeballs.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
You know, after all these years I'm still surprised the whole interwoven Avengers line of movies actually worked and still works.

twosage

Oct 22, 2013
blalien said:
I have a completely unrelated question. Is Nick Fury actually missing an eye, or is his eye patch some sort of Google Glass-style heads up display? I would think that Shield has the technology to regenerate eyeballs.
You get your answer in The Winter Soldier.

I'm looking forward to Agents of SHIELD's development now. I feel a lot of the show was constrained by the Winter Soldier (including the repeated delays to sync up the timing of the BIG REVEAL). I'm curious what direction they're going to go in, because they can't continue to be what the show originally promised: "One super-secret cog in the overall SHIELD machine". Season 2: Agents of S.W.O.R.D., perhaps?

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
SargeSmash said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Why bring up Bush? Obama has been in charge for 5 years (longer than the USA fought in WWII) and things have only gotten worse.
Kind of my thinking as well. Or if you're going to put up pictures, throw up an image of both Pres. Bush and Pres. Obama. As it is, it really betrays the reviewer's political leanings. (Which is totally okay, I get it, but it also feels completely unnecessary.)
Oh come on. Bob makes reference to 911 in several ways. What has Obama got to do with that? What has Obama got to do with pre-emptive strikes? Your argument is like saying we shouldn't reference Hitler anymore because Angela Merkel is Chancellor in Germany. Having accused Bob of showing his 'political leanings', you've clearly displayed your own with a nonsensical argument.

(No, I'm not comparing Bush to Hitler, and yes, I'm aware of Godwin.)

OT: Looks like it should be a fun film :)

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
twosage said:
blalien said:
You get your answer in The Winter Soldier.

I'm looking forward to Agents of SHIELD's development now. I feel a lot of the show was constrained by the Winter Soldier (including the repeated delays to sync up the timing of the BIG REVEAL). I'm curious what direction they're going to go in, because they can't continue to be what the show originally promised: "One super-secret cog in the overall SHIELD machine". Season 2: Agents of S.W.O.R.D., perhaps?
Awesome, I'm looking forward to this one.

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
Falterfire said:
Rabidkitten said:
Bob liked a Marvel comic movie? Color me amazed! Really I don't even need to watch these videos because I can ESP out the conclusion.
What do you want him to do? Loudly defame a movie he enjoyed just so he doesn't look like a sellout?

If you don't enjoy Marvel movies for whatever reason of your own, then fine, but for those of us who enjoy them this WAS a good movie, so of course the review was positive.

I did not suggest that in anyways. Nor did I say it was a bad movie. I simply pointed out a common trend in Movie Bob's bias towards a particular studio's line of movies in a sarcastic way.

webby

Sep 13, 2010
Falterfire said:
Rabidkitten said:

He's right though? Bob has given every Marvel film a tongue bath up to yet, regardless of quality. I don't see the harm in pointing out a reviewers readily apparent bias towards a certain intellectual property, studio, individual etc.

There's nothing wrong with a reviewer having a bit of bias but I'm just tired of hearing literally the exact same praise heaped on Marvel film after Marvel film even when they're pretty bad. It's cool though, soon enough Marvel will churn out another film that will be described as the best thing since The Avengers.