The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Cars 2 is better?

Despite the focus on Mater?

*is confused*

I'll see it anyway.

NOW MAKE A FINDING NEMO 2!
See, it finding Nemo wouldn't work because Nemo would just be retarded for getting lost twice.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
My least favorite Pixar movie is A Bug's Life, but that's just me.

OT: I think Bob's correct about Cars's bad rap... sort of. The thing is, Cars isn't actually about NASCAR. It's about the dissolution of the state highway system.

Living in a large city his entire life, Bob, wouldn't give a shit about this, but America used to be an even more heterogeneous place than it is today. Different areas had a distinct feel to them, because the interstate system didn't exist yet to shuffle cookie cutter pre-fabricated construction and WalMarts all over the country. Today, if there's a mountain, we level it; if there's a river too wide to cross, we fill in portions until we can cross; if there's a natural reservoir, we put one upstream so we can build a road across the empty hole that results. We completely destroy the natural landscape in order to build a more direct, high-speed interstate.

This wasn't always the case. The easiest natural route between adjacent mid-sized cities formed a network across the country. So the route from major cities was often circuitous and winding. Entire communities subsisted on being "rest stops" along these highways, because travelling between places along serpinginous highways that didn't completely eradicate the natural geography took time. These places each had a unique feel, and would often go out of their way to accentuate their individuality in order to become memorable so that more people would stop by. Cars is a story of an entire subset of small towns - small highway oases - dying because of the Interstate system and big box retail stores.

But, of course, I'm sure that he views these places as backwards and racist (whether that's actually true or not), so an entire collection of unique ways of life disappearing forever in the name of progress isn't bittersweet to him at all. He, and most other critics like him, are from metropolitan areas so large, so cosmopolitan, that it may not have even occurred to them, because they were too busy hating the fact that NASCAR is popular in certain parts of the country. Stupid rednecks!

It's funny how Bob hates Lightning McQueen, the "hero" of Cars, but is incapable of recognizing the irony that the reason why he's unlikable, his initial disdain for the people of Radiator Springs, is so similar to Bob's worldview. You're not supposed to like Lightning McQueen, at least initially, because he's an elitist snob who looks down on people because of circumstances beyond their control and accidents of geography. He's more concerned with image than substance.

You know, kind of how Bob hates everyone in America who doesn't live on the coasts.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
dex-dex said:
Even though you said that cars is the worst pixar film it is still better than what Dreamworks animation team usually puts out.
OH SHUT UP, YOU'RE SO ANNOYING!

:p

OT: There goes my vow to never watch anything of MovieBob's again. I blame it on me not knowing Cars 2 was so close to release. Anyway, the family'll probably be getting this, like every CG-animated kids' film to come out, and like all the others, I'll probably enjoy it.
Your post is pure win. How can you not love King Julian? HOW!?! I Challenge anyone t give me a reason not to like him. Oh and if you're not sold on king Julian than I present

Mort

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MovieBob said:
Cars 2

The best movie about a talking tow truck you'll see this year.

Watch Video
Those direct to video spin-offs are not such a bad thing... sort of.

It is made by the new Pixar Canada, which we know one person there (Danial Floyd) that cares about story and quality. It doesn't take any of Pixar's time away from their real projects, which I assume was Pixar's compromise to the Disney marketing machine.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
animehermit said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
T-Toy Story? Did he just say something about Toy Story? [Grabs jacket and runs to the Cinema]

OT: I never saw the first Cars. I always thought The Incredibles was the worst Pixar film?
you think The Incredibles is their worst film? Are you joking? That's probably one of their better movies tbh. It doesn't have the 3rd act problems that some of their more recent films have (Wall-E and Up come to mind).
I watched it just yesterday and the biggest problem I had with it is that the story was predictable. As in I could predict every turn. Now, I know that's not the point of Pixar films (twisty, complicated plots I mean)... but in movies like Wall-E or Up, the simple plot isn't a bad thing because the movie isn't ABOUT the plot. It's about the Characters. Incredibles seemed more plot-driven than the other films, and it failed to deliver.

Also some of the characters were uncharacteristically (pun not intended) one-dimensional for a Pixar film. See "The evil-but-doubtful sexy-secretary ***** that gets manipulated like a friggin ************." That was just....out of place.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I liked Cars 2. It was enjoyable and it made me laugh. That and the Toy Story short (which surprised me). Glad I went down the the theater and saw it. I wanted to see it in 3D though, but I got the times wrong and I thought "3D or not, I came here to see the movie."

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
its kinda sad to say when i live in Pennsylvania (but then again, I live in western PA, and thats right above West Virgina, and as the joke says, thats the land of 10000 families and only 4 last names), that there were actually NASCAR fans who didnt like Cars because "it wasnt realistic and just made fun of the serious American favorite sport of NASCAR" and will go so far as to protest thsi.

... but meh. I've got other things to do. Workt his week end, and hte fact that I saw X men first class last weekend coupling the little interest in the Green lantern means I'll only be stopping in for the Toy Story short and quickly leaving again (cause I get in for free anyway). The Real entertainment this weekend is the Furry Convention Pittsburgh is hosting.

NKnight

Jul 31, 2010
I told you that wasn't the last time he would mention the Green Lantern movie. I'm already starting to be annoyed. (at least it was short and before the video)

But the first 1:45 minutes of this video were among the most brilhant comments MovieBob has ever made! Maybe THE most brilhant. And the review in general is good too.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I was very disappointed with the first one, good to hear I'm not the only one.
I still won't watch this, so what car was the bad guys?
That planes thing sounds... interesting.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
PhiMed said:
It's funny how Bob hates Lightning McQueen, the "hero" of Cars, but is incapable of recognizing the irony that the reason why he's unlikable, his initial disdain for the people of Radiator Springs, is so similar to Bob's worldview. You're not supposed to like Lightning McQueen, at least initially, because he's an elitist snob who looks down on people because of circumstances beyond their control and accidents of geography. He's more concerned with image than substance.

You know, kind of how Bob hates everyone in America who doesn't live on the coasts.
Christ, that's harsh. Also true, sadly. I liked Cars, myself - I found it emotional, not so much because of the characters, but because of Radiator Springs itself. That one flashback montage hit me.

Madara XIII said:
OhJohnNo said:
dex-dex said:
Even though you said that cars is the worst pixar film it is still better than what Dreamworks animation team usually puts out.
OH SHUT UP, YOU'RE SO ANNOYING!

:p

OT: There goes my vow to never watch anything of MovieBob's again. I blame it on me not knowing Cars 2 was so close to release. Anyway, the family'll probably be getting this, like every CG-animated kids' film to come out, and like all the others, I'll probably enjoy it.
Your post is pure win. How can you not love King Julian? HOW!?! I Challenge anyone t give me a reason not to like him. Oh and if you're not sold on king Julian than I present

snip.jpg
And let us not forget:

You have not seen punny comedy until you have seen the Madagascar Christmas short (set after the first film) with these guys meeting the Reindeer. As a hint, the Reindeer have Russian accents.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
And let us not forget:

You have not seen punny comedy until you have seen the Madagascar Christmas short (set after the first film) with these guys meeting the Reindeer. As a hint, the Reindeer have Russian accents.

Huh. I've seen the first Christmas Short, just not that one you're talking about with the Reindeers. Hmm gotta go look it up now.

Tanfastic

Aug 5, 2009
I loved cars, 3rd best in my book. How to Train your Dragon and Toy Story 3 still beat it though... Wasn't as big a fan of WallE... I don't get the hype for it :/

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
Tanfastic said:
I loved cars, 3rd best in my book. How to Train your Dragon and Toy Story 3 still beat it though... Wasn't as big a fan of WallE... I don't get the hype for it :/
How to Train Your Dragon is Dreamworks, but I agree that it is better than Cars.

For fun, my pixar list goes:
1. Incredibles
2. Toy Story 3
3. Toy Story 2
4. Finding Nemo
5. Ratatuille
6. Cars
7. Toy Story
8. Up
9. Wall-E
10. A Bugs Life
11. Monsters Inc.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
stopped watching halfway through when it turned into a bob ***** fest. Also children's movie children's movie

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
Once the DVD after "Planes" is released, though, the trifecta [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planes,_Trains_and_Automobiles] will be complete!

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
The ending snipits were the best.

-planes: Oh lord
-cybertron: That would be amazing
-Cars: I love call backs to old reviews "carssss"