Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
ImSkeletor said:
Mullahgrrl said:
evilneko said:
Mullahgrrl said:
FelixG said:
Mullahgrrl said:
Why oh why doesn't the man review Iron Sky?

Has Bob become some mainstream snob?
Because they havent even set a theatrical release date for it in the united states...

http://www.ironsky.net/site/film/releasedates/

Though why the UK is getting it sometime this month and the US is still undecided confuses me.
Why doesn't he just download it and review it then? This isn't the 50's, you know.
You're asking MovieBob to pirate a movie to review for his job?

Don't hold your breath.
Well, excuse me for thinking he was a dedicated movie lover.
A dedicated movie lover doesn't pirate movies.
If you are not prepared to bend the law to indulge your passion then you are not dedicated.

Really, without movie-piracy great wealth of movies would be unavailable to the common public, especially to the increasing parts of it that is low on cash to spend on culture.

When you argue that culture must be bought to be apriciated you are in fact saying that poor people don't deserve to consume culture.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Mullahgrrl said:
ImSkeletor said:
Mullahgrrl said:
evilneko said:
Mullahgrrl said:
FelixG said:
Mullahgrrl said:

Because they havent even set a theatrical release date for it in the united states...

Though why the UK is getting it sometime this month and the US is still undecided confuses me.
Why doesn't he just download it and review it then? This isn't the 50's, you know.

Don't hold your breath.
If you are not prepared to bend the law to indulge your passion then you are not dedicated.

Really, without movie-piracy great wealth of movies would be unavailable to the common public, especially to the increasing parts of it that is low on cash to spend on culture.

When you argue that culture must be bought to be apriciated you are in fact saying that poor people don't deserve to consume culture.
Except you know, MovieBob has a real job, and doing illegal activities for said job is probably frowned upon at the Escapist.

Secondly, just because I have to bite: movies do not encompass all of culture. Also, seeing movies is a luxury activity. No one is obligated or entitled to see a movie. If you can't afford a $10 movie ticket then maybe you should spend less time watching movies and more time evaluating your priorities.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
"At least two of these young fans grew up to be Tim Burton and Johnny Depp"

Wait. So, potentially more of these fans also grew up to become Burton and Depp...?

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
Taunta said:
Mullahgrrl said:
ImSkeletor said:
Mullahgrrl said:
evilneko said:
Mullahgrrl said:
FelixG said:
Mullahgrrl said:

Don't hold your breath.

Except you know, MovieBob has a real job, and doing illegal activities for said job is probably frowned upon at the Escapist.

Secondly, just because I have to bite: movies do not encompass all of culture. Also, seeing movies is a luxury activity. No one is obligated or entitled to see a movie. If you can't afford a $10 movie ticket then maybe you should spend less time watching movies and more time evaluating your priorities.
So you ARE saying that poor people are less worth than rich people!

Explain to me how that is any less arbitrary than saying that black people are worth less than white people.

On the topic of Bob, what if a reporter in any other field would refrain from reporting a current event just because the only way of getting information was breaking the law? Democracy would stop working. Now, I know it is just a movie in this case but the principle still stands and if we back down now, how can we expect other people to stand when it is a more important issue?

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009
Sorry at $12.50 just for one ticket to see a movie at the theatres nowadays. Movies have got to be a tad better than Tim Burton's, Dark Shadows "not a great film" but look at the actors having fun. Any movie that doesn't have decent reviews or does not need a big screen experience, can wait for DVD or cable, that includes great movies.

Movies that get a warmer theatre reception like The Avengers. Which are hyped action/popcorn movies but geared towards a huge screen experience, with their over the top visuals get the nod. Which is unfortunate that just about anything else that doesn't measure up to that standard, typically does poorly at the theatres. Most people simply can't afford it.

Once you account for your ticket, snacks, gas, parking, etc. Works out in excess of $25.00 easily for one person, imagine a family of 4 going to the movies twice a month. Not realistic for most families. More and more people are saying to hell with it, investing in home theatre packages and waiting for the movies they want to see on DVD or cable. The "Not so great films" can be cheaply seen in such a fashion.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Mullahgrrl said:
Taunta said:
Mullahgrrl said:
ImSkeletor said:
Mullahgrrl said:
evilneko said:
Mullahgrrl said:
FelixG said:
Mullahgrrl said:

Don't hold your breath.

Explain to me how that is any less arbitrary than saying that black people are worth less than white people.

On the topic of Bob, what if a reporter in any other field would refrain from reporting a current event just because the only way of getting information was breaking the law? Democracy would stop working. Now, I know it is just a movie in this case but the principle still stands and if we back down now, how can we expect other people to stand when it is a more important issue?
Except I never said any such thing. So how did knocking down that strawman feel for you? Was it therapeutic? Bonus points for arbitrarily bringing up racism.

You have a very weird definition of democracy if you think investigative reporting encompasses all of democracy. Kind of like how you think movies encompass all of culture.

And in most cases in the US, investigative reporting is itself not illegal, so I don't know where you came up with that one. And believe it or not, news reporters do not do things that are illegal, considering it would kind of cost them their job.

What principle? What important issue? You're trying to make this into a discussion about morals, and it's not a discussion of morals at all. Pirating movies is illegal. MovieBob has a job. Doing illegal things would get him fired. End of story.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
Taunta said:
Mullahgrrl said:
Taunta said:
Mullahgrrl said:
ImSkeletor said:
Mullahgrrl said:
evilneko said:
Mullahgrrl said:
FelixG said:
Mullahgrrl said:

Don't hold your breath.

Except I never said any such thing. So how did knocking down that strawman feel for you? Was it therapeutic? Bonus points for arbitrarily bringing up racism.

You have a very weird definition of democracy if you think investigative reporting encompasses all of democracy. Kind of like how you think movies encompass all of culture.

And in most cases in the US, investigative reporting is itself not illegal, so I don't know where you came up with that one. And believe it or not, news reporters do not do things that are illegal, considering it would kind of cost them their job.

What principle? What important issue? You're trying to make this into a discussion about morals, and it's not a discussion of morals at all. Pirating movies is illegal. MovieBob has a job. Doing illegal things would get him fired. End of story.
Saying that it would be illegal for Bob to download Iron Sky is ridicolus.

He has no other way to view the film. Him viewing the film would lead to him reviewing the film, thus increase demand for it and revenue for the film makers.And thirdly, the film could never have been made if people didn't download their previous film star wreck, creating enough demand for it to get dvd distribution.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Actually, Bob hit the nail right in the head with this one.

The movie is just mindless fun. The story introduces the idea that Barnabas was into dark magic at some point, but they never explore that. The romance between Depp and that one other girl is mentioned, I believe, 5 times during the film? And that's kinda the main drive of the story, or so it seemed at some point (I don't wanna spoil the movie too much). By the third act/climatic battle, there's at least 3 new elements that are added and that have never been mentioned before. And I mean stuff like "Whoa, where did that come from?" and "...Wait, what?".
And one last thing: during the beginning, you see Depp's character using superspeed and whatnot. Useful and elemental vampire powers...that he never uses again. Ever again.

Elements from the original series are thrown at random into this brew. Only like 20% of the original canon is there. The rest is just elements from the show incorporated at random to try and come up with a pseudo-coherent plot.

The plot or the characters don't capture me because they're all over the place. But again, it's just fun to watch. *Shrugs*

Yeah, Eva Green is uber hot...but her smile. I find it awkward. Am I the only one? I can easily get over it, though.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Mullahgrrl said:
Taunta said:
Mullahgrrl said:
Taunta said:
Mullahgrrl said:
ImSkeletor said:
Mullahgrrl said:
evilneko said:
Mullahgrrl said:
FelixG said:
Mullahgrrl said:

Don't hold your breath.

Saying that it would be illegal for Bob to download Iron Sky is ridicolus.

He has no other way to view the film. Him viewing the film would lead to him reviewing the film, thus increase demand for it and revenue for the film makers.And thirdly, the film could never have been made if people didn't download their previous film star wreck, creating enough demand for it to get dvd distribution.
It's not ridiculous. It's an objective fact. There's no debate to be had here. Pirating movies is illegal. End of story.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Taunta said:
It's not ridiculous. It's an objective fact. There's no debate to be had here. Pirating movies is illegal. End of story.
Agreed. Remember when the Wolverine movie got leaked early and Roger Friedman over at Fox News decided to write a review of the download? Fired.
Story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/apr/07/roger-friedman-fox-news-wolverine

His comment was "It's so much easier than going out in the rain."

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
MovieBob said:
"At least two of those young fans grew up to become Tim Burton and Johnny Depp."
I certainly hope that only two of them grew up to be Tim Burton and Johnny Depp; the world couldn't handle more than one of either of those guys running around!