Escape to the Movies: Devil

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Really? Toast? TOAST? The food equivelent of a COIN FLIP decides if the LORD OF DARKNESS is in the same building? REALLY? Not the constant appearance of 666, all animals retreating from the building, TOAST?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Yeah!

He should have used a pudding cup!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Sylocat said:
I'm glad someone pointed out that Satan is actually not the Ultimate Source Of All Evil in the Bible.

I'm a little disappointed that no one's pointed out that God's "omnipotence" was largely a RetCon on the part of the New Testament authors. If you assume that Yahweh is LESS powerful than most of the other Elohim (and you keep track of when, in the original book, he was referred to as "Yahweh" and when he was referred to as "Elohim," which is the plural for "god"), then He comes out of the Torah looking resourceful and well-intentioned, and the narrative makes sense. If you assume He's omnipotent, then you run into theodicy problems from day one, and he looks like a petty, hypocritical tyrant.
I thought the Old Testament still portrayed him as a vicious bastard?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
zHellas said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Really? Toast? TOAST? The food equivelent of a COIN FLIP decides if the LORD OF DARKNESS is in the same building? REALLY? Not the constant appearance of 666, all animals retreating from the building, TOAST?

Yeah!

*Twitch*

A... Pudding... cup?

THAT'S THE BESTEST IDEA EVAR! :D

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
aaaahahahahahahaha. It landed butter side up? IT'S THE DEVIL'S WORK!

wonderful bob.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
zHellas said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

Yeah!

*Twitch*

A... Pudding... cup?

THAT'S THE BESTEST IDEA EVAR! :D
I NOZ, RITE?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

:D

OT: I wonder what if that instead of fighting Satan, this was about Humanity's Dark Side? Taking a look at the secrets, true feelings & faces of the people around us by putting several people in an elevator?

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Knew this movie would be shit after the 40 times I saw the trailer on 4OD.

Seriously, their repeated ads can go fuck themselves... sideways.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Woodsey said:
Sylocat said:
I'm glad someone pointed out that Satan is actually not the Ultimate Source Of All Evil in the Bible.

I'm a little disappointed that no one's pointed out that God's "omnipotence" was largely a RetCon on the part of the New Testament authors. If you assume that Yahweh is LESS powerful than most of the other Elohim (and you keep track of when, in the original book, he was referred to as "Yahweh" and when he was referred to as "Elohim," which is the plural for "god"), then He comes out of the Torah looking resourceful and well-intentioned, and the narrative makes sense. If you assume He's omnipotent, then you run into theodicy problems from day one, and he looks like a petty, hypocritical tyrant.
I thought the Old Testament still portrayed him as a vicious bastard?
Note that I said: Keep track of when (in the original language) the god in question was referred to as "Yahweh" (his name) and when the word "Elohim" (which is the plural for "gods") was used instead.

The version of "Yahweh" being worshipped in the modern Abrahamic faiths is actually a conflation of two different Elohim (Yahweh and Hadad [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadad]), who got confused together when the churches switched over from monolatrism [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolatrism] to monotheism ("hey, since there's only one God, the passages referring to these two 'gods' must be talking about the same guy!").

Judaism and Christianity were both monolatric until several centuries after the death of Jesus (by an odd coincidence, the point when they drifted over is the point when so many churches started preaching this "Dispensationalism [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispensationalism]" bullshit as a method of reconciling the massive contradictions that a monotheistic reading presents).

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
Funny how I wanted you to review this movie and yet I don't agree with you FULLY.

What I mean is I liked it. It's a cheesy Horror Film with weak plot... yes. I guessed every detail from just the trailer... yes. Was it fun to watch still and funny in parts (like the toast) scene... Hell yes XD I was just glad the people I hated died and the people I liked lived.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
titankore said:
"Damn you M. Night you killed The last airbender, you did what the entire fire nation couldn't"
Thank you Titankore, that post has made my day.

OT: Really? Frickin' toast is the one true method of seeing if the Father of All Lie's is in the same building as you are? I always pictured the Devil as a being who doesn't straight out attack people, but instead a trickster.

As for M. Night? As other's said when "The Last Airbender" came out that it was the final nail in his coffin of his career and so far it's looking right.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
misterprickly said:
I'll see this film "just because".

Hey! I saw last airbender (even though Bob said not to) and I still enjoyed it; I just thought it was too short.

Look at the Expendables... It was a "dumb jock" film, BUT HEY it was advertised as a "dumb jock" film; Even Rodger Ebert said it was a "dumb jock" film!

***ALSO***

Bob admits that he doesn't grasp the concept of the devil?! Com'on; He has the word EVIL in his name!!!

Name me someone worse than that!

BWAHAHAHA OH god run from the Super Devil XD

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
What the hell does toast landing butter side down have to do with identifying satan?

Also when did elevators get toast making facilities?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
wooty said:
HOOOOOOOOLD ON!

If they're trapped in a lift/elevator, where the hell does the toast even come from?
"Since I'm always hungry, I keep toast in my pocket!"

Hmmm... So the Devil is like Starscream? Who's Megatron?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
You really need to change those emote smilies you use Bob, they look stupid and you over use them in each video.