Escape to the Movies: Devil

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Lukyo said:
So tyrants don't rise to power that way?
Well... No? There's nothing about the word "tyrant" that implies how the tyrant obtained power. It's simply a description of how they use that power. Saying that his use of the word is inaccurate, because "God was never equal to humans", is something of a non-sequitur.

blackflare

Jul 25, 2010
I went to see this movie before i seen the review but its so cheesy mmh cheese. I feel like finding out where m night shalayan lives and get my money back south park style. But i went to see the last exorcism last thursday night but this monstrosity is worse in every way than devil and its very hard to take seriously as a horror movie like drag me to hell.

Servantes

Jul 12, 2010
what is a better movie and trailer all wrapped up in one and would have made wasting time at the theater all the more tolerable? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs3ROFNxa5M
best part is its free and has better ideas then that Devil piece of crap.

NeuroticMarshmallow

Nov 18, 2009
I actually kind of liked it. As in I wasn't sitting there wanting to kill myself.Because to be honest,It really harbor some interesting points here and there. But you hit the nail on the head with the religious stereotype. That was the worst part of the movie. The moment he began speaking the religious mumbo jumbo all I could think was "oh please no". It wasn't really the religion so much as the fact that it was painfully out of place and forced. A more competent film would actually leave that up to the viewer. I was kind of insulted by the fact that they kept having to explain it and using the pointless and rather vague voice overs. I don't think I ever rolled my eyes more than during that toast scene.

Blayze2k

Dec 16, 2009
I lol'd at the bit where he mentioned Starscream.

Also, that character in Devil is propagating butter-side-up propaganda.
Didn't anyone learn from the Better Butter Battles?
Doctor Seuss would be so ashamed...

thepj

Aug 15, 2009
Sylocat said:
I'm glad someone pointed out that Satan is actually not the Ultimate Source Of All Evil in the Bible.

I'm a little disappointed that no one's pointed out that God's "omnipotence" was largely a RetCon on the part of the New Testament authors. If you assume that Yahweh is LESS powerful than most of the other Elohim (and you keep track of when, in the original book, he was referred to as "Yahweh" and when he was referred to as "Elohim," which is the plural for "god"), then He comes out of the Torah looking resourceful and well-intentioned, and the narrative makes sense. If you assume He's omnipotent, then you run into theodicy problems from day one, and he looks like a petty, hypocritical tyrant.
Really? Now that's the kind of character that could make an interessting bible-themed story.

Sort of like the Book of Eli but without the forgone conclusion.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Considering my estimation of average human intelligence, the audience not being able to figure out that the bad guy is the Devil in a move called "Devil" is not all that unreasonable.

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
That toast thing just seems too ridiculous to be true? They actually have that a plot point? wow.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Lukyo said:
ProjectTrinity said:
Lukyo said:
Sylocat said:
I'm glad someone pointed out that Satan is actually not the Ultimate Source Of All Evil in the Bible.

I'm a little disappointed that no one's pointed out that God's "omnipotence" was largely a RetCon on the part of the New Testament authors. If you assume that Yahweh is LESS powerful than most of the other Elohim (and you keep track of when, in the original book, he was referred to as "Yahweh" and when he was referred to as "Elohim," which is the plural for "god"), then He comes out of the Torah looking resourceful and well-intentioned, and the narrative makes sense. If you assume He's omnipotent, then you run into theodicy problems from day one, and he looks like a petty, hypocritical tyrant.
-Sigh- The argument that God is a tyrant is tiresome an ridiculous. Think about it for a minute. If God is a tyrant that means He raise himself over people which implies that He was once equal to people. What sense does that make? God does what ever He wants when ever He wants to and doesn't wait for anyone's opinion when it comes to rule everything that exists, especially since nothing would exist without Him.

In this review however Bob did a good job explaining who the devil really is, while the movie is just another example of humans giving the Devil too much credit, in a very stupid and poorly made presentation of course.
From Dictionary.com. =D

a sovereign or other ruler who uses power oppressively or unjustly.
any person in a position of authority who exercises power oppressively or despotically.
a tyrannical or compulsory influence.
an absolute ruler, esp. one in ancient Greece or Sicily.

/Quote

I'd love to see where your(s) argument goes, since I'm a curious soul, but, I'm not seeing your definition of tyrant anywhere on this. And even if your definition was true, it could be said that his is just as true.
Humans can rise to power that way, being/becoming tyrants along the way, but that doesn't exclude entities who may be tyrants by default. (Like, God)But yeah, if you have an objection, feel free to prove me wrong. I'm here for the fodder above all else, after all.

Boxinatorizore

Mar 25, 2009
... My only question is. WHY DOES HE HAVE TOAST ON AN ELEVATOR?! WTF! I mean, if you were in an elevator and saw a dude pull out some toast, you'd punch him. In the balls. YOU MUST EAT MAN FOOD ON ELEVATORS! I bring Quiche on my elevator rides.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
This is why digital pirates exist.
They tell you this movie is going to be awesome, and possibly movie of the year,
and then BAM!!

Its horse pucky.
So the people who shelled out $13 to get in and another $10 on snacks they dont get to enjoy get pissed, and never go back to the movies. Because digital downloading is free. ((sans the cost of the internet ofcourse))

Back in the good old days, if you made a bad movie, you didnt get to make another.
These days everyone has a budget of 50 trillion dollars to waste on a flop.

Lukyo

Aug 14, 2009
Sylocat said:
Lukyo said:
Sylocat said:
Lukyo said:
Sylocat said:

-Sigh- The argument that God is a tyrant is tiresome an ridiculous. Think about it for a minute. If God is a tyrant that means He raise himself over people which implies that He was once equal to people. What sense does that make? God does what ever He wants when ever He wants to and doesn't wait for anyone's opinion when it comes to rule everything that exists, especially since nothing would exist without Him.
Ah, so he's not a tyrant, he's just a sadist.

Hey, maybe Yahtzee's idea that God is a kid playing a giant version of The Sims and torturing us for shits and giggles (like most people do when they play The Sims) is true. That would make about as much sense as your version.
How do you know God is getting off on what he does?
Read my post. It's the most logical explanation.
You can't just tell me to reread something especially since it didn't get the point across the first time. Technically the God of the Sims would be Will Wright, but that doesn't work because then he would have to be the creator of the computer as well.

The Plurality of Elohim is just an interesting early reference to the Doctrine of the Trinity.

Lukyo

Aug 14, 2009
Break said:
Lukyo said:
Well... No? There's nothing about the word "tyrant" that implies how the tyrant obtained power. It's simply a description of how they use that power. Saying that his use of the word is inaccurate, because "God was never equal to humans", is something of a non-sequitur.
But that's just the point. A tyrant is a human leader who abuses his powers. The tyrant is still just a man who misuses his authority because there is a specific way he must use it with certain obligations assumed in it. God, only limited by his holiness, is above such obligations to use his authority in specific ways. Simply put God CAN'T be a tyrant because such a title only t=relates for human rulers.

Lukyo

Aug 14, 2009
ProjectTrinity said:
Lukyo said:
ProjectTrinity said:
Lukyo said:
Sylocat said:

In this review however Bob did a good job explaining who the devil really is, while the movie is just another example of humans giving the Devil too much credit, in a very stupid and poorly made presentation of course.
From Dictionary.com. =D

a sovereign or other ruler who uses power oppressively or unjustly.
any person in a position of authority who exercises power oppressively or despotically.
a tyrannical or compulsory influence.
an absolute ruler, esp. one in ancient Greece or Sicily.

/Quote

I'd love to see where your(s) argument goes, since I'm a curious soul, but, I'm not seeing your definition of tyrant anywhere on this. And even if your definition was true, it could be said that his is just as true.
Humans can rise to power that way, being/becoming tyrants along the way, but that doesn't exclude entities who may be tyrants by default. (Like, God)But yeah, if you have an objection, feel free to prove me wrong. I'm here for the fodder above all else, after all.
It does exclude beings would are rulers by default. Humans are never rulers by default but because God had to rise them to power, the good ones and the bad ones.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I'm wondering how this guy got butter and toast onto an elevator without it being consumed already...

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Toast landing butter-side down, Strawberry Jam transforming into the blood of a virgin goat, Margarine that is NOT fake; When will the madness end?!?
Senaro said:
I'm wondering how this guy got butter and toast onto an elevator without it being consumed already...
I was just thinking about this myself: Where did they even get toast to butter? And if it's just been buttered, did they just toast it there, too? Did someone just come from the bakery, another pulls out a switchblade and slices it, and then they toast it to a crisp by having everyone breath on it in the hopes that the Satan of the group will get the job done-oh wait...

The entire premise seems a bit dry *And if they already had the toast, wouldn't it be dry? Why do they have toast randomly in an elevator-* what with theclose-quarters environment with unstable character molds bickering because one of them is the killer Devil. Going from the clips Movie Bob showed with them holding knives, what exactly do they plan to do anyway? I'm pretty sure that a steak knife is not going to be the ace up someone's sleeve against the Prince of freaking Darkness (who has just been controlling the death of random folks willy-nilly five seconds ago, no less).

Eh, I can't say that I'm surprised. There seems to have been this hope for Shyamalan after his repeated failures because of a few well-received films, but I have always maintained my view that after some lucky shots, it was only a short matter of time before he would be commissioned in the fail factory. The Village really did it for me and I wish I could bury that miserable movie-assault from my memories. Maybe I should try sacrificing a slice of bacon to the Omelet Goddess and spin a bottle of maple syrup to see if that will work...http://gizmodo.com/219119/the-japanese-wii-safety-manual-is-crazy

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
Old Trailmix said:
So instead of reviewing one of the two good movies that came out LAST week, we get Devil? Why? Because it was easiest to review?
Why not, Moviebob wouldn't dare miss an opportunity to belittle the Christian faith some more and give his ignorant little comedy bit on a subject matter he hasn't the slightest understanding of to the public. God forbid he review good movies like The Town or Legend of the Guardians. Let's not forget he has to continue his promotion of the sinking ship of cinema, M.Night, and go as far as to defend him because he only produced Devil while he vehemently condemned Michael Bay for Friday the 13th remake that he produced. We're well over the border of double-standards for Moviebob. He's crossed that border, set up camp, and plugged his ears to any and all opposing viewpoints. No, I'm not bitter.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I thought it was great if you didn't take it seriously... really hilarious...