Escape to the Movies: Devil

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
Your lyrics lack subtlety. You can't just announce how your characters feel! THAT MAKES ME ANGRY!

Also this movie needed a scene like from Job where the Devil is talking to God about trapping people in an elevator.

God: *laughs*

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
Well it is obvious to me that Film Robert has become one of those critics who I can laugh at for their ranting use it as a form of entertainment and then disregard it. I actually really enjoyed Devil! I was totally sucked into the story and could entirely overlook the stupidity. Clearly Robert has never seen a single Amicus film from the 1960's/70's! This was essentially a Portmanteau horror film without the Portmanteau elements.

If you can swallow the original Tales from the Crypt, Dr Terrible's house of horror or indeed Asylum this will appeal to you. The people in it are not actually as stupid as made out in the review! After all if someone says "Satan is what's stopping your life from working" You tend to fit them up for a rather nice off the shoulder White number that fastens at the back!

Oh yeah the toast thing was rather stupid but in the grand scheme of things in cinema history it is forgiveable. After all Robert did enjoy a certain film because it had 40 foot 3d boobies in it!

Damn the fact I didn't get to see Piranha!

Perhaps I have an internal narrative which is different to Robert's his pulls apart everything, mine explains away plot holes and narrative gaps. I love films which make no sense!

But this does make sense if only as a homage to British horror of the late 60's early 70's!

P.S. Why "Film Robert?" because I an attempting to stem the tide of Americanisms and over here in England they are still called films, film bob sounds like something you do to clean scum of the top of a swimming pool!

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Gotta say he sure likes to use the "Difficult Discussion Coming" frame a lot lately.
And its not even that awkward of a statement that follows.

Acting like a FOOL

Jun 7, 2010
Lazarus Long said:
sethzard said:
The devil didn't do anything at the begining it was just "A snake tat was craftier than any of the animals the lord god had made"
Not just that, but the serpent exposed what was at best a Jedi Truth [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FromACertainPointOfView?from=Main.JediTruth] from God, and at worst a bald-faced lie. I've always preferred Lucifer as a Promethean figure trying to free humanity from the tyranny of a Gnostic Demiurge kind of God.

But anyway, after making the rounds of various reviews of this movie, I want to listen to, say, an hour of dinner conversation between Moviebob and Brad Jones like Bob wants a Spider-Ham movie.
I doubt lucifer is a promethean anti-hero...most likely he's just screwing Gods creation just to get back at him for his own sake.And since it's the case that you don't like God either...you're better off not worrying about it.

Gunnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Considering my estimation of average human intelligence, the audience not being able to figure out that the bad guy is the Devil in a move called "Devil" is not all that unreasonable.
It wasn't for the audience, it was for the other guards and the detective. It's all intertwined. Bob is talking nonsense.

SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Toast landing butter-side down, Strawberry Jam transforming into the blood of a virgin goat, Margarine that is NOT fake; When will the madness end?!?
Senaro said:
I'm wondering how this guy got butter and toast onto an elevator without it being consumed already...
I was just thinking about this myself: Where did they even get toast to butter? And if it's just been buttered, did they just toast it there, too? Did someone just come from the bakery, another pulls out a switchblade and slices it, and then they toast it to a crisp by having everyone breath on it in the hopes that the Satan of the group will get the job done-oh wait...

The entire premise seems a bit dry *And if they already had the toast, wouldn't it be dry? Why do they have toast randomly in an elevator-* what with theclose-quarters environment with unstable character molds bickering because one of them is the killer Devil. Going from the clips Movie Bob showed with them holding knives, what exactly do they plan to do anyway? I'm pretty sure that a steak knife is not going to be the ace up someone's sleeve against the Prince of freaking Darkness (who has just been controlling the death of random folks willy-nilly five seconds ago, no less).
Good thing Bob misled you. It was meant as a humorous scene; no one in the security room even took him seriously and shoved him away when he did it. No one in the elevator even had food or anything.

And it was jelly on the toast.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Gunnyboy said:
Good thing Bob misled you. It was meant as a humorous scene; no one in the security room even took him seriously and shoved him away when he did it. No one in the elevator even had food or anything.

And it was jelly on the toast.
Ah, so Mr. Shyamalan was pulling for some comedic interplay to break up his Phone Booth/Elevator/Satan experience? I would love to see some extended footage of "crazy 'it' the devil' guy" trying to persuade others that it is in fact the Devil.

"Well if you don't buy the toast, then look at that bagel! It's cream cheese is spread only on the side with more raisins! And the maple syrup is sticking only on the bottom of that guy's pancake! And I really can believe it's not butter; this stuff tastes more like creme fraiche!"

I think an even better silly proof for the devil running amok would be his own personal cameo praising "S. Might Nyamalan" as being the best auteur to grace playwrights and everyone giving "that guy" a high five. :p

In hindsight, after unskippabling watching The Village, I should have hoped that M. Night. Shyamalan would find his true calling in going a step further and lampoon his own original movie premise. At least then Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer wouldn't have to do such a reprehensible job.

Lukyo

Aug 14, 2009
Sylocat said:
Lukyo said:
Sylocat said:
You can't just tell me to reread something especially since it didn't get the point across the first time. Technically the God of the Sims would be Will Wright, but that doesn't work because then he would have to be the creator of the computer as well.

The Plurality of Elohim is just an interesting early reference to the Doctrine of the Trinity.
Wow, you have no concept of metaphors, do you? For one, I was joking, for two, it's not a literal, actual copy of The Sims, just a cosmic-scale clone of it.

Secondly, your theory about "it's just a reference to the Trinity" is preposterous for a number of reasons, including that it makes God look like a gigantic asshole, that it causes nothing that any character does to make sense, that it sets up massive contradictions within the story itself, that it makes none of the character actions make sense (God's OR humanity's), and that historical records indicate that nobody actually believed that at the time Jesus was alive.
My guess is your sources are misleading.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
squirrelman42 said:
It wasn't as bad as he made it out to be. Yes, there were people acting retarded by putting themselves in danger for no good reason. Yes, there was the stereotypical latino catholic guy there. But Bob is missing a few things. First, the toast had jam on it, not butter. Second, the fact that nobody believes that one guy is pretty reasonable. Third, there is a message in the end which is actually the whole point of the thing. I'm pretty forgiving about movies that I go see, and especially so if the movie makes you think or has a message. Granted this is a straightforward message, but it's not shoved down your throat, just presented there. Finally, the detective character really held everything together.
Also he threw the toast to show misfortune is present as part of him saying "When he's present, if bad things could happen, they'll happen." Quick, you're in an office and need to proof bad luck is present, grab what's available in that office and prove it without hurting anyone. Also the super catholic never told the people in the elevator so they weren't in on that fact unlike Moviebob said. He told that to his colleagues and the police.

Despite hearing what Moviebob said, I went anyways and it was fun.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
MovieBob, I'd really like to know what you thought of The Guardians of Ga'Hoole. I saw it yesterday and was quite surprised by it. I thought it was going to be a kids movie, but instead it had some of the epicness you'd expect to see in The Lord of the Rings.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
Actually, when the preview for this came on before Scott Pilgrim vs the World, the audience laughed when Shymalan's name showed up. No booing involved.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Lukyo said:
Sylocat said:
Lukyo said:
Wow, you have no concept of metaphors, do you? For one, I was joking, for two, it's not a literal, actual copy of The Sims, just a cosmic-scale clone of it.

Secondly, your theory about "it's just a reference to the Trinity" is preposterous for a number of reasons, including that it makes God look like a gigantic asshole, that it causes nothing that any character does to make sense, that it sets up massive contradictions within the story itself, that it makes none of the character actions make sense (God's OR humanity's), and that historical records indicate that nobody actually believed that at the time Jesus was alive.
My sources? My source for this claim is the Bible.

So yeah, I guess it is misleading.

Lukyo

Aug 14, 2009
Sylocat said:
Lukyo said:
Sylocat said:
Lukyo said:

My sources? My source for this claim is the Bible.

So yeah, I guess it is misleading.
What? The Bible affirms the reality of the Trinity.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
People need to cut Satan a break. He's a hard working and shunned, exploited slave of God, who got sentenced to oblivion for expressing freedom. He's not evil, he's just doing his job. He probably got stuck in that elavator on his way for his paycheck.

Murriness

Jul 10, 2008
I actually didn't think it was so bad. Of course I have a fear of elevators so perhaps I was channeling that.