Escape to the Movies: Fall Preview

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Just saw Branded. I have to admit I was expecting the same simpleminded 'Marxist' or at least pseudo anti-capitalist line of The Stuff or They Live. And there was certainly a lot of that.

Other thing about it? Branded's central message seems to be the following: fat people are ugly people. The only real way to be happy is to be thin, and plastic surgery is a great way to do it!

In case you're wondering, I personally think that is an awful message for any movie. But it's especially strange for a movie to be so critical of the advertising part of American-style capitalism while fully embracing the naturalization of a stereotype about beauty that includes plastic surgery. It's different from Thank You for Smoking, but there's still something similarly two-faced about Branded.

Bottom line: don't see it unless you're writing a paper about body image and the media. If you are, then go nuts.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
There seems to be a lot of anticipation for the Hobbit here which has me a little surprised. Movies I have been to, as well as other boards I visit, the enthusiasm for that film seems really low.

I don't know, I am just not seeing this doing as well as people here hope. A lot of the Tolkien faithful seem turned off by all the additions, change of tone, and elongation into 3 films. The fair weather fantasy fans seem kind of done with the whole concept. And a lot of people just seem burned out on the years long epic movie story thing.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Has there been a Lincoln trailer? I feel like I haven't seen one yet.

EDIT: List invalid with no Les Mis. I hope it wins all the awards so people stfu about musicals sucking.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Holy shit! They're making a movie out of Cloud Atlas. That book was awesome in so many ways.

[sub][sub]Please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck please don't su...[/sub][/sub]

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
how the heck did "rise of the gurdians" slip under my radar?
its the tooth fairy, the easter bunny and santa teaming up! how could i miss that?!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I was in the shower this morning and I thought to myself 'Dam Bob is sexy'-AH I MEAN, 'What is Bob gonna reveiw today?' what with nothing being out at the mo. Still, its looking good, except for Mr.Duncan being dead of course... and now Terry Nutkins, WHATS HAPPENING!!!

Anyway, that 'The last guardians' looks pretty banging and what you said about James Bond reminded me why I love-BAH think your awesome Bob... even if what you said about Silent Hill almost killed the buzz...

So it begins... *BUR-BUBUBUR-BUBUR-BUBUBUUUUR*

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Wait the RZA makes movies now? How the fuck did I not know that I've kind of proclaimed him as my new god.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
MovieBob... I love you like a brother, man... But complaining multiple times that "there is nothing coming out for you to review" while letting Moonrise Kingdom whiz in and back out of theatres was DEEPLY UNCOOL.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
When i saw the trailer for Looper when i went to see The Expendables 2 my only thought was: This has to be some kind of joke! :p

Looks like a movie written by a board of directors where one guy jokengly said: "hey, what if we...", they laughed for a while and then decided that they didnt have any better ideas and made a movie. The premise is just ridiculous and seems to be one of the usual "sci-fi" movies in the vein of Total Recall, Surrogates and Minority Report. Just a bit sillier.

Not agreeing on Silent Hill, while it had decent visual effects, the script and acting was rubbish imo. Personally i think the only good video game movie is Mortal Kombat, it captured the spirit of the games and it is pretty watchable. Incidentally it is also the best work of Thomas W. Anderson! :p

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Pat Hulse said:
You forgot to mention Les Misérables, the film adaptation of the stage musical.
I noticed this too, and it surprised me. Especially considering this is the first time the musical has been adapted to film so completely; short of things like filmed concert editions and such, this is the first time a film has adapted the musical instead of taking its story straight from the book. That's kind of a big deal, and to be entirely honest, you can expect me to be one of those guys sitting in line for this midnight showing while everyone else is waiting for The Hobbit.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Sober Thal said:
tarnim80 said:
Oh, Bob. Now you made me dissapointed. How could you not even mention Les Miserables? But I guess I shouldn't be suprised since Bob always seems to be so preoccupied with "geek culture".
Does it look better than the Liam Nesson version? Cuz that movie was the bomb yo. Never liked the musical, the few versions I've seen anyways. It's my mothers favorite tho, so I was glad I could see a good movie version of it.

EDIT:

Couldn't they find better male actors?!?!?!

Might be good regardless.
Better male actors? Hugh Jackman as Valjean is a freakin' dream, especially for the musical. I'm insanely happy with the casting.

Thing about the Liam Neeson movie is that, while the first half was pretty much perfect, the second half raped the story so badly the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. So outside of the fact that I think Les Miserables is one of the greatest stories ever written, and even outside of my deep love for the musical, I think this is shaping up to be a damn good film.

Joriss

Dec 27, 2011
Kinda disappointed that the hobbit is going to be a trilogy. It's one of my favorite books because it's pretty basic (maybe that's also because it was kinda entitled to kids): A hobbit gets dragged into an adventure, and he comes back with many riches, literally. The end. You can make a decent movie out of that in just 90 minutes. The movie business just smells hard cash again if you ask me...

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Am I the only one who cares that that star studded movie version of Les Mis, aka the most beautiful musical of all time is coming out this December as well? No? Just me? Fine.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Harry Mason said:
MovieBob... I love you like a brother, man... But complaining multiple times that "there is nothing coming out for you to review" while letting Moonrise Kingdom whiz in and back out of theatres was DEEPLY UNCOOL.
Uh he did review it. Like a while ago. Here you go bro [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/9773-Under-the-Radar]