Escape to the Movies: Four Lions

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Swaki said:
definitely going to see it, and the yanks dont have the honey monster? i thought it was a nestle brand.

but it may loose some of it shock humour, there are a surprising amount of Danish sketches, stand up acts and cartoon strips about terrorists, so many that i almost forgot that A: its still a taboo in some countries and B: that they weren't just comedy material.

the Muhammed drawings where comedy gold for us back in the days.
*looks behind* Nope, no honey monster here. I might see this movie. I enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and that was British comedy.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Warning! This film is overly British!

Americans may not understand humour, only humor. Canadians and Australians may not understand anything at all. Don't change a thing to remedy this.

i want to go see this movie... there's too few British blockbusters like this now.

ChaosDemon

Oct 29, 2009
I was originally surprised that there was such a huge delay between UK and US release.
Then I thought about it. A film from the perspective of Terrorists. Oh yeah, that'd be why.

And also, I never realised the Honey Monster was exclusive to the UK.
Sugar, do do do do do do, oh honey honey....

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
vallorn said:

Americans may not understand humour, only humor. Canadians and Australians may not understand anything at all. Don't change a thing to remedy this.

i want to go see this movie... there's too few British blockbusters like this now.
Why would Canadians and Australians not understand anything at all in this? Im pretty sure we would understand more than Americans.

cdc345

Mar 17, 2010
Though I think is a funny thing,I hope terrorism is'nt soo debunked that people forget that it actually is a serious problem. But it's nice to take a bit of the edge off.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Lullabye said:
vallorn said:

Why would Canadians and Australians not understand anything at all in this? Im pretty sure we would understand more than Americans.
sigh. its a parody of one of the Unclyclopedia banners. the only difference is that i replaced "article" with "film".

im sorry if i confused you.

Vetinarii

Aug 17, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
Surprised to hear it's getting released in the USA. Will it be subtitled/dubbed?
Why would it? Due to it being in English... America speak English which they stole from England... (which is a abomination of Germanic and French)

addeB said:
I'm going to have to see this, I love "edgy comedy" (I don't really know how to describe it) :p
In my country we call this comedy.

canadamus_prime said:
The Honey Monster looks like a rejected Sesame Street character.
Honey Monster > Cookie Monster

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
vallorn said:
Lullabye said:
vallorn said:

sigh. its a parody of one of the Unclyclopedia banners. the only difference is that i replaced "article" with "film".

im sorry if i confused you.
Dammit, now I feel stupid.

srry about the bother......

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Kinda wanted to see what you would have thought of Due Date, considering Four Lions isn't playing anywhere near where I live, but I guess at least you brought this movie to my attention and I'll probably have to watch it some time in the future.

Ragweed

Jan 18, 2008
Saw this back in April when premiered in the UK. It's still easily the funniest movie I've seen all year. Thanks for reviewing something a little more obscure/foreign, Bob.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
J03bot said:
How have I not heard of this? I was semi-expecting a review of Let Me In, and then this rolls along? I am intrigued, and shall endeavour to see it.

And yes, the Honey Monster is awesome. As my Sugar Puffs T-shirt suggests.
Assuming you have a Honey Monster t-shirt (from the recent cereal box giveaway) then I assume you live in the UK. In which case, Four Lions came out last year and is already on DVD.

Thrillho

Oct 13, 2010
I loved this film. It was very different from Morris' previous work like Brass Eye or The Day Today, in that those shows never really made fun of the people in it, but the public's perception of it. Just watch the Brass Eye special, "Paedogeddon" and you'll either get what I mean, or want me hanged for suggesting you watch that sick filth. But Four Lions was very much as Bob said, a film about what would happen if The Three Stooges met Al Qaeda.

While I'd say that the film's criticism is justified because of this, this is also a lot less irreverant than the likes of Nonce Sense or Carla the Elephant, so it gets away with it.

daftnoize

Aug 23, 2010
As an actual English person (NOT BRITISH) and an unashamed morris fan I really enjoyed this. However all of you over the pond might not be familiar of the british comedy Peep Show of which the writers in four lions are involved with. I strongly urge you to watch this show it is ****ing hilarious. Also check out some more of morris' work and that of armando innauci (sorry about spelling) you will enjoy it. x