Escape to the Movies: Fright Night

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
I had hoped it for full Conan this week, but I guess the awful will be enough. =p

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I was hoping for a Conan review this week, too... But thanks to this video, you reminded me that I actually heard about the original Fright Night, via Cinemassacre's Monster Madness:

http://cinemassacre.com/2010/10/19/fright-night/

I was actually interested in another vampire movie, aside from Daybreakers, that actually plays by the rules instead of turning them into angsty teen dramas.

Jaser

Mar 30, 2010
Huh. From the commercials I thought it was going to be a cheesy, bad self-parody of vampire and horror movies in general. You're review didn't prove that WRONG, per se, but if you say it's good then it's at least worth a shot.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Guess the role of thread iconoclast falls to me- the original conan movies were diabolically bad and the new one looks pretty good in a crappy b movie type of way.

As for fright night, seen bits o the original and will probably give this one a go, even if only to show some of my twilight loving friends what real vampires are like.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
dangit, I really wanted him to rip Conan a new one. That movie is AWFUL; Robert E. Howard is probably doing cartwheels in his grave.

Anyway, Dave Tennant alone made me interested in this.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Yeah I was expectign full Conan. Fright Nigth could have just a been a quick nod.

Especially if you just say its an awful piece of sh-. Dont get me wrong, your dead on most of the time, but Conan looked good from the bits I saw. Would be nice for a tiny bit of explanation with that kind of hate.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
low blow to the american pie cast.
I'm just glad we aren't getting another american pie presents film...
Book of love was such a piece of crap movie.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I had heard about The Help's "problem" on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, but it was not really explained. Now I know. That's kinda bad....

:) Thanks Bob.

Oh, sorry about Conan. At least we still have the original, right?

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Still going to go see Conan, but hey, maybe I'll make it a double-feature with FN. I enjoyed the first one, and while I have a devestating Colin Farrell allergy, I suppose I can endure him if he actually acted (c whut I did thar?) like he gave a shit about what he was doing.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
The real question is, "is it safe for me to bring me wife to see a movie with a shirtless, leather-clad David Tennant" ;)

Actually if we have the opportunity for a movie we'd probably go see The Guard, but it doesn't look like we'll have much movie time for the foreseeable future.

sailor_960

Jan 12, 2010
I can understand the bashing on the Blind Side, it wasn't all that good, and there was literally zero conflict when you got right down to it. But The Help is actually really good from what I've seen of it (I work at a theater so I've watched about 40 minutes of it in total, but from what I've heard its consistent).

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
I remember the original Fright Night, I caught it on TV a few years ago. It was really good actually, and it's nice to hear that the remake managed to deliver aswell.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
I never had any hope for the new Conan to begin with, yet I'm still sad...

Ah, well. At least I can go and see Fright Night tonight. Sucks that Peter Vincent's introduction doesn't go well, but at least I'll have David Tennant's shirtless scene awesomely hammy acting to distract me.

Okay, I was not the only male here thinking that.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Wow I got the wrong impression form commercials of Fright Night. I thought it was going to be some sort of "modern screw traditional vampires and Twilight" kind of movie if you get what I'm saying.

Glad to hear its not what I thought and even better thats its actually good.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Hm... I was hoping for a 30 minutes or less review, but this has made me all the more interested in Fright Night. Now I'm thinking that it may be worth a look.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Armored Prayer said:
Wow I got the wrong impression form commercials of Fright Night. I thought it was going to be some sort of "modern screw traditional vampires and Twilight" kind of movie if you get what I'm saying.

Glad to hear its not what I thought and even better thats its actually good.
It's 'screw modern sparkly vampires, our traditional vampires are fucking monsters' more or less.

Look at it from the vampires perspective. Do you feel guilty when you eat a cheeseburger? These people are your food.