Escape to the Movies: Frozen

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I was definitely in the camp that wanted to pass up this movie. The ad campaign made my friends and I groan pretty hard. However, I think Bob swayed me to give it a try (as ya, this seems like a completely different movie from what they were trying to sell). I'm not that big into princess movies, but this seems pretty sweet.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
You're kidding, right? They're releasing a follow-up to Mary Poppins? as in, this is a real thing?

Yeah, no.

Nice idea, Disney, but no.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
So you're saying princesses for us lesbians?. Back to waiting everyone.

OT: This sounds like something I need to see.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
2xDouble said:
You're kidding, right? They're releasing a follow-up to Mary Poppins? as in, this is a real thing?

Yeah, no.

Nice idea, Disney, but no.
Just to clarify, it's not a follow up to Mary Poppins. It's a movie about Walt Disney trying to secure the rights of Mary Poppins from its author, who is very controlling about how her story should be presented due to the personal attachment to the project.

I don't know if that is better or worse of an idea than simply following up Mary Poppins, but I figured it was worth clarifying :)

Edit: I should probably comment on the movie at hand too. :p. Honestly, I'm a sucker for animated movies, and I was going to see it anyway, but now I'm really excited about it. If it's everything Bob says it is, I'll feel a hell of a lot better about the fact that Pixar just isn't that great anymore. As long as one of the big three is still going strong, I'll be happy :)

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
I'm wondering what Bob thought of Tangled. Cause to me, that felt like a good throwback to the 90's Disney.

Spaceparanoid42

Oct 29, 2010
Well... Damn. I'd heard that this was getting good reviews, but I was NOT expecting to hear Bob praise it to the moon and back like that. I was going to skip this movie myself, because I was so disgusted by the ads with that damn snowman, but I went and listened to Idena Menzel's song from the movie after watching this review, and holy crap, Bob wasn't kidding about it. I'm convinced now; I gotta go see this.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Wow, that was unexpected.

I mean, obviously we were going to see it. I have kids. We see every fucking animated piece of shit there is. But now I'm actually looking forward to it.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Well this was... unexpected!

Best heroine-thingy since Mulan?
I can't remember how many times I've seen Mulan as a kid, and if this is even close to the same, or hell, even better. I'll need to see this at some point. 2 animated sisters, 22 years of age or not, this kind of praise has to be checked out :p

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
"The best since Mulan"...

Wow.

In my view at least, this thing needs to be a straight up cinematic revelation to be worthy of rubbing shoulders with Mulan, but if Bob's objective was to get me in a theatre to see a movie that I otherwise wouldn't have looked at twice, then mission accomplished.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Bob, your talking to the internet, you should know that the internet's head is "ALWAYS" in the gutter.

Last night at thanksgiving dinner, my brother and my sister in law asked if I wanted to go see this with them this weekend. I said no but after seeing this I might call them back and give this one a shot.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Might go and see it if I have the opportunity to. Reading the Intermission has actually gotten me interested.

And if you thought the internet implying lesbianism is bad, give it about a week. I'm sure the internet can come up with worse pairings for this movie.

lazinesslord

Jun 13, 2010
There was something that left a bad taste about this movie. I've never read the original story this was based off but a friend described it to me and it sounded pretty awesome. A cast of diverse character (most of whom are female which is rare) with different, interesting motivations set of to defeat an evil ruler. (I'm just abridging it.) This is the stuff good a good rpg is made of. But with this movie all those interesting characters are replaced by two guys and an annoying sidekick character. Plus, the two main leads look exactly like Rapunzel from Tangled. Combined with the marketing it wasn't looking like a good movie. But thanks to Bob's review I'm going to give the movie a chance.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
So close to Bob's definition of perfect, and yet Miyazaki's new work blows it out of the park. Such a vast chasm between east and west animation.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
Loose adaptation..? Considering that it sounds nothing like the story that H.C. Andersen wrote, it sort of comes off as "nothing alike, apart from there being a snow queen in it".

Forgive me if I sound snobbish about this, but The Snow Queen is the first story I ever read as a kid, that really spoke to me of a sense of wonder and amazing imagination.
One of the interesting parts of this story, is that almost all the characters are women or girls, with the exception of Kaj, the Prince and the Devil, who all serve minor roles.

I don't know if I want to see it at all. It sounds like a nice spin-off, but at the same time I'm sad that the story has become so distorted. The Little Mermaid I can understand that the story was changed in a drastic way, since it's a very sad story, but Frozen sounds like it's butchered the story.
Well, it can't really butcher the story since it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the story asides the fact there is a snow queen...and even then, it doesn't really. It's probably the closest we're going to get to an original idea from Disney movies. What it DOES have in common, however, is the fact that all the major characters are still girls (Elsa and Anna). The two people drive the entire plot forward. The other main male characters (Olaf, Kristoff, and Hans) while still characters, ultimately are of minor importance in the grand scheme of the movie. You really should give this one a chance.

OT: I am happy Bob loved this film as much as I did. Seriously, GO SEE IT!

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Wow... this was a long one. Admittedly it has to, given all that Bob discussed in this video. I love me some Disney, and I was going to see this anyway, but now I am SO much more hyped for this then I originally was for it! ...I also kind of liked Tangled, but that also had the bad marketing going for it. Yeah, Disney seems to be going out of its way to making sure ONLY the lowest common denominator sees this movie, which is unfortunately selling the movie short.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Oh boy, deviant art is gonna have a field day with this one...

That being said it sounds like whoever was in charge of the marketing campaign for this movie needs to be handed their walking papers. Brave, for example, was decidedly "alright" as a movie but its marketing was brilliant.

Frozen is going to rely on figures like Bob and word of mouth to get off the ground. And while those factors have never been more powerful than they are today it would have a far greater compounding effect if the trailers hinted at anything at least resembling the political intrigue and issues that take place in the film.

I wrote it off as a god damn "Christmas Movie" what with all the snow and shit.