Escape to the Movies: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
So this movie looks cheap compared to the first one? How is that even possible? I mean, the first one looked cheap enough as it is.

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
The CGI Ninja Turtle shown at the end of this review was from the upcoming "Out of the Shadows" video game, not from the Platinum Dunes movie. As far as I know, there haven't been any pictures released of what the PD Turtles will look like.

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
I actually liked this one more than the first one. The Rock and "who ever played Duke" had some pretty good chemistry so despite expecting it I was kind of sad about him being written out.
The guy playing the president really stole the show btw.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Looked up the image, its from a video game.....not a live action movie like I initially thought.
So, I don't care either way.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I was hoping the delay would have resulted in a better joe movie; still hoping to enjoy it when I get around to seeing it.

And that TMNT picture at the end: I can't unsee it. Dear god, make it go away.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Still seeing it,as even if it's disappointing if it makes enough money maybe a 3rd one can be made with a better budget. Because there is no way i'm accepting a 4th Transformers and 5th Pirates while G.I Joe dies!
this,

sides, I liked the first one to :p

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
shame. I suspected this wouldn't be good. The TV spot trailers I saw made it look kinda meh and I was hoping it'd be good in the same way as the first one, (pure mindless entertainment with bad one liners and cameos.) Guess I'll wait for this to show up on the movie channel in a few months

azriel2422

Jul 19, 2010
I was disappointed in the first movie because I felt they tried too hard. But the reason Bob doesn't like this one is exactly why I think I will like the sequel. Fewer characters, focusing on them and their personalities...and Firefly! I respect MovieBob's opinion though...however I'm still gonna see it

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Sometimes I think Bob Chipman is an evil sorcerer who's trying to take over the world by completing some massive spell that will summon Satan to do his bidding. At least, that's the only reason I can think of for him to be deliberately provoking me to weep openly at the sight of that Raphael monstrosity at the end of the video: He needs tears of human anguish as a component in the ritual.

Well, I'm on to you now, buddy boy.

(Glad to get his opinion on Retaliation, though. It seems like the sort of thing friends would try to drag me to see.)

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Edited back to life, who in the what now?

spell it out for me, I don't read every bit of movie news.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
The TMNT image wasn't thaaat bad, they are mutant turtles remember. That said, they aren't the best looking ones either.

Battle Catman

Jan 3, 2011
That's funny--all the G.I. Joe fansites I frequent are pretty much saying "forget the first film existed, this is how the movie franchise should have began."

From what I've read, I'm glad to see that Roadblock doesn't become the "ULTIMATE NINJA COMMANDO" like he's been presented on the toy packages. Or maybe that was something that was removed in the months since? That would have really irked me; it's like if they made a (good) live-action Dragonball Z movie and they snagged someone high-profile to play Yamcha, so they rewrote the script to have HIM save the earth instead of Goku or Vegeta.

And really, don't pretend like the fact that it's THE ROCK didn't factor into Roadblock taking command of the Joes. I wouldn't have minded it if he'd been there in the first movie instead of Heavy Duty, but he just kind of shows up and takes leadership.

Funny then, how fans hate Channing's Duke for that very same reason.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Oh my god I had one of those car toys that shoots missiles as a kid. I had no idea it had anything to do with GI Joe or Street Fighter.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
shit it would have been better if they cgi recreated Sgt. Slaughter for the movie, i would have paid to see that

Korskarn

Sep 9, 2008
Endocrom said:
Edited back to life, who in the what now?

spell it out for me, I don't read every bit of movie news.
Tanning Chatum. Or Channing Tatum. Wutevah.

Basically the movie was supposed to be out 9 months ago, but around a month before it was supposed to be released (just after the tv ads/billboards had started to go up in full force) Paramount yanked it, and Ted happily moved forward a week (and into the R-rated comedy box office records).

This confused a lot of people, because they had just sunk millions (possibly tens of millions) in advertising only to delay. The "official" reason from Paramount was that they wanted to retool it in 3D "so audiences can get the full experience". The "unofficial" (i.e. rumoured) reason was that 21 Jump Street and Magic Mike had both just done $100mil domestic (not so much international) and Paramount wanted to reshoot because Channing Tatum's character gets killed during the movie opening.

So the rumour was that Channing Tatum was edited back to life after originally being killed in the first 10 minutes. As it was, it looks like he just gets killed in the first 30 minutes instead. I'm still not sure that the delay was worth the double set of advertising, the 3D "upgrade", and the carrying costs... I suspect even the unofficial accounting books will show this in the red even if it tops $400mil worldwide.